I am looking for help in figuring out if there is any way to kill background processes by third party apps from activating on an Android phone (LG-G3). On my BB10 I can force stop 99% of the apps and they never start again.

I encouraged a friend using a LG-G3 to try the BlackBerry suite and he is liking it but at the same time has cause him to pay more attention to the battery and processes. He has Forced Stopped all of the app processes but they keep kicking back in. I told him I think the only way to control your phone is to root it to control permissions.

What is the experience on the DTEK50, DTEK60 and Priv? Are you able to kill the processes and not have them reactivate when not looking? Using Taskmanager from Google play store helps detect the culprits if your not sure.
    Not looking at using a third-party app killer that runs all the time constantly killing apps as they start.

Any help in this issue would be appreciated and could sell him on a BlackBerry / Android (KEYone)

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 03:23 PM
    I'm curious, is the battery usage app (settings, battery) showing those apps that have been forced to stop as using battery?
    03-08-17 03:31 PM
    Android doesn't have a user facing way to control background tasking/processes. Google has guidelines for devs but if they choose to not follow them then the only option is to not use those apps. Features like Doze can help if devs update their apps to support it.

Eventually Google will mandate Doze compatible apps in the Playstore but that is not near term.
    03-08-17 03:41 PM
    Android doesn't have a user facing way to control background tasking/processes. Google has guidelines for devs but if they choose to not follow them then the only option is to not use those apps. Features like Doze can help if devs update their apps to support it.

Eventually Google will mandate Doze compatible apps in the Playstore but that is not near term.
    So I guess only rooting the device will fix this issue and that is not possible on a BlackBerry so good to know.

I'm curious, is the battery usage app (settings, battery) showing those apps that have been forced to stop as using battery?
    I will have to ask him tomorrow after one days use.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 05:03 PM
    So I guess only rooting the device will fix this issue and that is not possible on a BlackBerry so good to know.

Posted via CB10
    Probably the best option is to have Battery Save mode, which limits things like location services and some background processes, on Quick Toggle which may be available with BB Nougat which allow more configuration. I haven't seen Quick Toggles mentioned in the KEYOne preview as its not the final software release so we'll have to see what will come down the pike.
    03-08-17 05:19 PM
    Just to be clear again, BB10 does not allow Android apps or services to run in the background unless they have been specifically programed to run headless (of which there are only a few).
    03-08-17 05:33 PM
    Just to be clear again, BB10 does not allow Android apps or services to run in the background unless they have been specifically programed to run headless (of which there are only a few).
    So your saying BlackBerry is the only android phone that does not allow apps to start up their processes in the background and I won't have to go into settings/ apps/ "name of app"/ force stop? When I close it it's closed 100% and won't see it doing anything in the background after the close?

My other friend just got a DTEK50, so I will definitely get a good look at that and get back to you. If what your saying is true I am sold.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 04:36 AM
    So your saying BlackBerry is the only android phone that does not allow apps to start up their processes in the background and I won't have to go into settings/ apps/ "name of app"/ force stop? When I close it it's closed 100% and won't see it doing anything in the background after the close?

My other friend just got a DTEK50, so I will definitely get a good look at that and get back to you. If what your saying is true I am sold.

Posted via CB10
    Conite was talking about BB10 running Android apps, not Android OS running on Priv/Dtek/Keyone.

Now to the main question. If an Android app is properly implemented (and most apps from known developers are), what you see running in the background is a very small part of the entire app, specifically designed to do so.

This small part is mainly responsible for receiving notifications and properly handling them. This part is not as battery draining as the full app and you shouldn't have to force close it.

Of course, I have experience with some poorly implemented apps that drain battery like crazy even when running in the background, but these apps will be caught by the battery meter and I always uninstall them.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-09-17 05:54 AM
    Conite was talking about BB10 running Android apps, not Android OS running on Priv/Dtek/Keyone.

Now to the main question. If an Android app is properly implemented (and most apps from known developers are), what you see running in the background is a very small part of the entire app, specifically designed to do so.

This small part is mainly responsible for receiving notifications and properly handling them. This part is not as battery draining as the full app and you shouldn't have to force close it.

Of course, I have experience with some poorly implemented apps that drain battery like crazy even when running in the background, but these apps will be caught by the battery meter and I always uninstall them.
    When every single app for 50 or more apps are running it doesn't have to be much on each individual app but when combined all together the battery drains fast. I looked at his battery usage and he wasn't concerned at first then I showed him my Passport for the same usage and he realized that 34% left at 1/4 way through the day wasn't acceptable lol. He spent all day closing apps and trying to keep them closed with some stubborn ones not cooperating.
    I want to know if the BlackBerry Android phones handle this problem any better than all the other Android phones out there. If not is rooting the phone our only other recourse?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 06:18 AM
    You shouldn't have to force close apps. If that paradigm is hard to break out of, Android will be tough to enjoy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-09-17 06:23 AM
    You shouldn't have to force close apps. If that paradigm is hard to break out of, Android will be tough to enjoy.
    Isn't that one reason why people Root? Especially when it comes to Samsung bloat-wear and carrier bloat as well?
    I rooted my Samsung for that very reason. If I don't use the app but once a month it has no business using me!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 06:27 AM
    Isn't that one reason why people Root? Especially when it comes to Samsung bloat-wear and carrier bloat as well?
    I rooted my Samsung for that very reason. If I don't use the app but once a month it has no business using me!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I think it is a reason.

Big rooting proponent myself, but the S7e is the first daily driver I haven't rooted. I let the system do its thing.
    03-09-17 06:31 AM
    Please give example of such "stubborn apps" that actually register as a battery drain.

The only major app that is actually a battery drain is Facebook. Actually uninstalling that saves a lot of power.
    03-09-17 06:36 AM
    Please give example of such "stubborn apps" that actually register as a battery drain.

The only major app that is actually a battery drain is Facebook. Actually uninstalling that saves a lot of power.
    I refuse to have Facebook on a mobile device.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    03-09-17 06:40 AM

I dint say it was a specific app that was running wild on the battery. I am referring to all apps and some that like to restart their processes to run again after forced stop. I would have to name a few but I will look into it

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 06:40 AM
    I dint say it was a specific app that was running wild on the battery. I am referring to all apps and some that like to restart their processes to run again after forced stop. I would have to name a few but I will look into it

Posted via CB10
    I said to give examples, because usually force stops actually works.

From my tests 6 months ago, I force stopped Facebook and looked if it started its processes again for a full day and it didn't.

BB10 has background processes as well. They are known as headless apps and last time I checked they were non-manageable by the user (but my BB10 development knowledge is pretty old at this point in time)
    03-09-17 07:00 AM
    I said to give examples, because usually force stops actually works.

From my tests 6 months ago, I force stopped Facebook and looked if it started its processes again for a full day and it didn't.

BB10 has background processes as well. They are known as headless apps and last time I checked they were non-manageable by the user (but my BB10 development knowledge is pretty old at this point in time)
    True that about BB10 apps but they are no where near the resource hogs the android apps are. I don't worry about any BB10 apps I have installed and I get a heavy usage day of 17 hrs. That is not happening on android.

The apps that don't stay down are usually carrier specific, manufacturer specific and Google core apps. There are obviously others but I will have to consult with him on those

What version Android are you running?
    Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 07:56 AM
    True that about BB10 apps but they are no where near the resource hogs the android apps are. I don't worry about any BB10 apps I have installed and I get a heavy usage day of 17 hrs. That is not happening on android.

The apps that don't stay down are usually carrier specific, manufacturer specific and Google core apps. There are obviously others but I will have to consult with him on those

What version Android are you running?
    Posted via CB10
    I am running Android nougat at this moment.

The problem with carrier specific, manufacturer specific and google core apps is that they are considered system apps and have different rules about stopping and starting them.
    03-09-17 08:01 AM
    In my experience on BB10, Android apps that I closed were still active and had to be killed with Ghost Commander. I noticed certain apps were draining my battery after just 4 hours. Conite, could you clarify your BB10 comment?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 08:24 AM
    In my experience on BB10, Android apps that I closed were still active and had to be killed with Ghost Commander. I noticed certain apps were draining my battery after just 4 hours. Conite, could you clarify your BB10 comment?

Posted via CB10
    The act of running a task manager reactivates the services. As soon as you quit the task manager, the services are suspended again.

It is not technically possible to run an android app or an android service in the background on BB10.
    03-09-17 08:27 AM
    The act of running a task manager reactivates the services. As soon as you quit the task manager, the services are suspended again.

It is not technically possible to run an android app or an android service in the background on BB10.
    What would account for the battery drain? I experienced and tested this for a few months. Then, I decided not to install any more apks ever again from Amazon (or any where else for that matter).

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 08:31 AM
    What would account for the battery drain? I experienced and tested this for a few months. Then, I decided not to install any more apks ever again from Amazon (or any where else for that matter).

Posted via CB10
    That's not an easy question. Whatever the issue, it isn't Android apps running in the background.

Running the apps, of course, can take a lot of juice. So not having them at all will improve battery life.
    03-09-17 08:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    On BB10 in android settings I am able to kill (force stop) any Android apps I don't want running until I open them. The only one I've found to be rogue is Skype.
    I use the android app Taskmanager to easily keep an eye on which open.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 10:40 AM
    I am looking for help in figuring out if there is any way to kill background processes by third party apps from activating on an Android phone (LG-G3). On my BB10 I can force stop 99% of the apps and they never start again.

I encouraged a friend using a LG-G3 to try the BlackBerry suite and he is liking it but at the same time has cause him to pay more attention to the battery and processes. He has Forced Stopped all of the app processes but they keep kicking back in. I told him I think the only way to control your phone is to root it to control permissions.

What is the experience on the DTEK50, DTEK60 and Priv? Are you able to kill the processes and not have them reactivate when not looking? Using Taskmanager from Google play store helps detect the culprits if your not sure.
    Not looking at using a third-party app killer that runs all the time constantly killing apps as they start.

Any help in this issue would be appreciated and could sell him on a BlackBerry / Android (KEYone)

Posted via CB10
    I have a LG G3 as my daily driver, and have used the Hub+ services for a time. The G3 isn't one of those devices known for battery longevity on the greatest days but can make it through a day with a little care. Your friend needs to stop force-closing apps and using a task manager, that's the biggest cause for battery drain. The system then needs to cold-start those apps and update their data every time, which uses more CPU (and thus battery) to bring not only those apps up to speed but shuffle other apps in memory because it's prioritizing apps based on usage. Plus it's an extra step that's absolutely unnecessary. The Hub+ services used a little bit more battery while I had it, but not a huge dent - probably a 20 minute difference on my SoT. I currently have 74 cards in my task switcher and the system has been managing things just fine for the past 8 hours.
    BigBadWulf and The_Passporter like this.
    03-09-17 10:52 AM
    I have a LG G3 as my daily driver, and have used the Hub+ services for a time. The G3 isn't one of those devices known for battery longevity on the greatest days but can make it through a day with a little care. Your friend needs to stop force-closing apps and using a task manager, that's the biggest cause for battery drain. The system then needs to cold-start those apps and update their data every time, which uses more CPU (and thus battery) to bring not only those apps up to speed but shuffle other apps in memory because it's prioritizing apps based on usage. Plus it's an extra step that's absolutely unnecessary. The Hub+ services used a little bit more battery while I had it, but not a huge dent - probably a 20 minute difference on my SoT. I currently have 74 cards in my task switcher and the system has been managing things just fine for the past 8 hours.
    Well we decided to do this experiment due to the poor battery life as you said. He is now trying Greenify as an aid and tomorrow we will have a list of apps that restarted and more information to share.
    Thank you for sharing this info with us I will take that into account and let him know. It is possible he will be rooting his LG-G3 if he can't get a better grip on the battery and apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 11:01 AM
137 123 ...