Google is coming for your unused Android crapware. The company announced Friday that it will backport an Android 11 privacy feature—auto-resetting app permissions—to Android 6.

Auto-resetting app permissions were introduced in Android 11 as part of a continually expanding Android feature set aiming to automatically limit apps you don't use. When you don't use an app for a set period of time, Android will automatically strip the app of any permissions it has been granted, limiting it from tracking you in the background or accessing data. It's a nice feature for less tech-savvy people who aren't interested in manually organizing the inner workings of their phones. If you open the app again, it can ask for all of those permissions again.
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-to-android-6/

The update is being pushed through Google Play so it's good news for people still holding onto BlackBerry Android devices.
    Tjtb and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-21 02:15 PM
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-to-android-6/

The update is being pushed through Google Play so it's good news for people still holding onto BlackBerry Android devices.
    Be good for everyone to do that at least once a year....
    Tjtb and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-17-21 02:25 PM
    Yep just read up. Basically giving everyone from 6 on up 11 like features that will help their devices as BILLIONS remain using older Android devices.

Google's permissions auto-reset feature is coming to older Android phones https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...android-phones
    09-17-21 08:16 PM
    Auto resetting permissions or auto stripping permissions?

Auto stripping seems good. Auto resetting isn't, if one has already gotten into the habit of manually stripping apps down.
    09-17-21 08:23 PM
    Auto resetting permissions or auto stripping permissions?

Auto stripping seems good. Auto resetting isn't, if one has already gotten into the habit of manually stripping apps down.
    I read it to be re-set as Android 11 does
    09-17-21 08:25 PM
    I read it to be re-set as Android 11 does
    Well then I am not sure if that is good. I have set a lot of apps to not be allowed to use background data for example, deviating them from their default settings. I don't want those to be able to start using background data again later.
    09-17-21 08:31 PM
    Well then I am not sure if that is good. I have set a lot of apps to not be allowed to use background data for example, deviating them from their default settings. I don't want those to be able to start using background data again later.
    Other way around. It will deny permissions you have allowed that haven't been used in a while.
    09-18-21 09:12 AM
    Other way around. It will deny permissions you have allowed that haven't been used in a while.
    Are you sure? I don't have Android11 to know for sure. The article write-up did seem to suggest what you mention, but then it also basically said it would "reset permissions". So, the article is really not detailed/factual enough for my liking, and I have seen too many examples of when people (I am not talking about you) don't pay attention to details and state wrong conclusions and assumptions as if they were ground truth.
    09-18-21 09:24 AM
    Are you sure? I don't have Android11 to know for sure. The article write-up did seem to suggest what you mention, but then it also basically said it would "reset permissions". So, the article is really not detailed/factual enough for my liking, and I have seen too many examples of when people (I am not talking about you) don't pay attention to details and state wrong conclusions and assumptions as if they were ground truth.
    What I'm saying is how it works on Android 11/12.

It would never suddenly allow a permission that was denied. That would make zero sense.
    09-18-21 09:36 AM

It would never suddenly allow a permission that was denied. That would make zero sense.
    Indeed it would not make any sense to suddenly allow a permission that was denied. However, I see more and more things nowadays that don't make any sense to me, so I try to not assume too much.

Thanks for confirming that this feature in Android 11/12 was actually not done stupidly.
    09-18-21 09:43 AM

You are correct.
    Direct quote from the article:
    "Once the feature resets permissions for an app, you'll have to re-grant the app permissions the next time you use it."
    Not all that difficult to comprehend.
    09-19-21 04:33 AM
    Google Play Services is the new Android platform https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...droid-platform

More detail in here.
    09-19-21 09:16 AM
    Google Play Services is the new Android platform https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...droid-platform

More detail in here.
    Distinction has to be made of course with devices pre- and post-Mainline.
    Last edited by conite; 09-19-21 at 12:18 PM.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    09-19-21 09:21 AM
    You are correct.
    Direct quote from the article:
    "Once the feature resets permissions for an app, you'll have to re-grant the app permissions the next time you use it."
    Not all that difficult to comprehend.
    What does "reset" mean?

There are apps that I don't think I have ever provided specific permissions for (eg: backup data use, background processing) that I have stripped down, which I wouldn't want to be "reset", for me to have to later go around and re-strip those back down again.
    09-19-21 09:27 AM
    What does "reset" mean?

There are apps that I don't think I have ever provided specific permissions for (eg: backup data use, background processing) that I have stripped down, which I wouldn't want to be "reset", for me to have to later go around and re-strip those back down again.
    In the quote I post the word used is "re-grant". Seems self-explanatory to me.
    09-19-21 09:33 AM
    What does "reset" mean?

According to the article link, it sounds like you’ll get a warning notification before it happens if you don’t want it to happen
    09-19-21 09:36 AM
    Perhaps, but at first read it seemed to me that I could perhaps have to go around and re-strip back down permissions again, after the "reset" and "re-grant".
    09-19-21 09:38 AM
    Perhaps, but at first read it seemed to me that I could perhaps have to go around and re-strip back down permissions again, after the "reset" and "re-grant".
    Nope. That's not it at all.
    09-19-21 09:41 AM
    Nope. That's not it at all.
    Yeah Conite also already said that was not it, based on how it is done in 11/12.
    09-19-21 09:43 AM

More detail in here.
    Sounds about right, on Android 10+ Google Play is also used for some OS security updates. Good for people who want to hold onto devices for a long time, not so good for people who want to "de-Google" their Android phone.
    09-19-21 12:07 PM