I accidentally deleted an icon (for wikipedia), and on restoring it I can't put it back in it's previous position- it automatically goes to the first/ home screen, which I like to keep clear. I tried moving another app to the same position and have the same problem with that now!

Looks like I've changed a setting somewhere that automatically re-positions the icons as close to the home screen as possible, but I'm darned if I can find that.

Secondly, what's a good backup/ file transfer package? Syncdroid is just not working.

Overall Android is much higher maintenance than blackberry, but I can get Uber. The emperor may have no clothes.
    03-27-18 08:30 AM
    Press and hold the icon for wikipedia and drag it to another screen.
    03-27-18 01:45 PM
    I accidentally deleted an icon (for wikipedia), and on restoring it I can't put it back in it's previous position- it automatically goes to the first/ home screen, which I like to keep clear. I tried moving another app to the same position and have the same problem with that now!

Looks like I've changed a setting somewhere that automatically re-positions the icons as close to the home screen as possible, but I'm darned if I can find that.

Secondly, what's a good backup/ file transfer package? Syncdroid is just not working.

Overall Android is much higher maintenance than blackberry, but I can get Uber. The emperor may have no clothes.
    1) press and hold it, then drag to where you want it.

2) what exactly are you needing to back up? Contacts i have synced with gmail, notes i have synced with Google Keep, photos are synced with Google photos, calendar is synced with Google calendar. And everything follows me to any new phone I get by just signing in. What needs to be backed up anymore?
    03-27-18 02:03 PM
    1) Yes, got that. When i drag it to where I want it (where I accidentally deleted it from) it moves back to the first page. In fact if I move any icon (I have my main apps in a perimeter pattern on screen 2, and everything else on screen 3) they won't stay and flip to the front screen. It's as if there's a setting that's trying to fill the screen up most efficiuently and not allows gaps, that I've switched on.

Head Scratch.

2) Very true. All I really need to do is transfer work project pictures from phone to laptop so I can file them on the server. I really don't want to email myself, especially if I come back and have hundreds of site photos.
    03-27-18 02:20 PM
    1) Yes, got that. When i drag it to where I want it (where I accidentally deleted it from) it moves back to the first page. In fact if I move any icon (I have my main apps in a perimeter pattern on screen 2, and everything else on screen 3) they won't stay and flip to the front screen. It's as if there's a setting that's trying to fill the screen up most efficiuently and not allows gaps, that I've switched on.

Head Scratch.

2) Very true. All I really need to do is transfer work project pictures from phone to laptop so I can file them on the server. I really don't want to email myself, especially if I come back and have hundreds of site photos.
    1) what launcher are you using? BlackBerry launcher on the KEYone? If you want to reset your launcher back to "like new" when you first started it, you should go into Settings --> Apps --> Blackberry Launcher --> three dots in upper right --> uninstall updates and then install all the updates again

otherwise, if it's a different launcher, just select storage --> clear data and start putting stuff where you want it again.

2) If you don't want to back up your work photos to your personal Google Photos Account, I would suggest you create a Microsoft Account (if you haven't already) and use OneDrive to back up your photos (usually over wifi). From there, you can log into your OneDrive on your laptop and it will sync.
    03-27-18 04:20 PM
    Thank you. I think I'll just work around and miss Blackberry OS.

1) what launcher are you using? BlackBerry launcher on the KEYone? If you want to reset your launcher back to "like new" when you first started it, you should go into Settings --> Apps --> Blackberry Launcher --> three dots in upper right --> uninstall updates and then install all the updates again

otherwise, if it's a different launcher, just select storage --> clear data and start putting stuff where you want it again.

2) If you don't want to back up your work photos to your personal Google Photos Account, I would suggest you create a Microsoft Account (if you haven't already) and use OneDrive to back up your photos (usually over wifi). From there, you can log into your OneDrive on your laptop and it will sync.
    03-28-18 09:32 AM

I think you cant have first page blank. Think you may have to have at least 1 icon there. Then setup your 2nd page. Once setup you may get luck by deleting the single 1st page icon (maybe?). But if you make changes again you may get same issue.

Native android backs up a lot. Depends on what you are specifically trying to backup
    03-31-18 07:49 AM
    I fixed the app-layout problem. I reduced the size of the icons, then rest to standard/ medium size, and it would let me reposition the icons to how I want/ how I had them. That smacks of the good old microsoft days....

As for the backing up it's really just a file transfer issue. I can easily email myself the pictures I want to include in a report, but common practise is to dump all of your photos (and take plenty of them) onto the server for future reference. We might not be able to do that now...
    04-03-18 09:14 AM
    I fixed the app-layout problem. I reduced the size of the icons, then rest to standard/ medium size, and it would let me reposition the icons to how I want/ how I had them. That smacks of the good old microsoft days....

As for the backing up it's really just a file transfer issue. I can easily email myself the pictures I want to include in a report, but common practise is to dump all of your photos (and take plenty of them) onto the server for future reference. We might not be able to do that now...
    Just plug the phone into USB and drag and drop them to your laptop. Install the Android File Transfer app. Either that or send them via bluetooth, that's what I generally do, of your laptop has bluetooth. Or, share with WIFI, there are apps for that as well.

Do a search on the play store, there are many options to do what you want.
    04-03-18 02:29 PM
    So the porblem seesm to be my laptop sees the Blackberry connected, but can't see the files.

I've installed USB Driver and Sandisk File Manager but neither has fixed it.

Can anyone recommend an app that works?
    04-04-18 08:53 AM
    OK fixed the file transfer was my bad- I had the lead plugged into the USB on the docking station and not on the laptop itself. Ooops!
    PHughes likes this.
    04-05-18 01:58 PM