I have seen in several threads that BB 9720 tends to reboot out of the sudden. My personal experience, with several BB 9720's, is the same. It will be ok for days. And suddenly, usually when doing something with BBM (latest official version), it will shut down. Sometimes it reboots, sometimes it doesn't. It will simply shut off and after several battery pulls it will reboot. Also, even after removing unwanted languages, and without any additional apps other than whatsapp, it will run out of memory quite easily...As I say, I have tested this with several devices.

I will update to the 2928 release and see what happens.

Any thoughts?
    03-17-14 06:34 AM
    When I was running a legacy device I remember several times when my phone would reboot. All cases it was some app I had introduced to the phone that made it randomly reboot. Could that be your issue? Anything new?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-17-14 06:37 AM
    When I was running a legacy device I remember several times when my phone would reboot. All cases it was some app I had introduced to the phone that made it randomly reboot. Could that be your issue? Anything new?
    How old is the battery in it?
    03-17-14 07:14 AM
    mine does it too
    03-17-14 02:45 PM
    Seconded. My 9650 was doing the same thing a year ago (happened the most when web browsing), and even a fully charged battery bar wouldn't last a day. New battery made the reboots all go away.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-18-14 05:51 AM
    Hi, it happen to mine too. I also try to figure it out but still cant find it. Is it because of the OS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-19-14 11:04 PM
    This happens with all sort of batteries, new, old, fully charged, half charged...I updated to the latest firmware and it still happens. Must be some conflicting firmware issue, or just a hardware flaw. What surprises me is that RIM seems not be aware of this. It happens with both BES and BIS. Users at my company, more than 20, complained as well about these issues.

03-23-14 01:45 PM
    Actually, I think the issue may be due to the memory card. My BB seems slightly more stable now that I have deactivated conversations back up in the memory card in both BBM and Whatsapp. From other threads in internet I have seen relating to reboot issues in other models, it might seem that BBM may crash when handling large files, such as pictures. Also, I read somewhere that whatsapp may malfunction if there are too many files in the root directory of the card.

Given that most of the reboots would happen when working with BBM, I think that this was because it was accessing the card to back up conversations.

Also, could it be because if I have a big memory card? (8gb).

Would other users relate their reboot issues to this?

Thanks
    03-29-14 04:54 AM
    Sorry to reraise this old thread but Blackberry are being very cagey and obstructive when trying to resolve issues with rebooting 9720's we have more than 200 of these devices and a good 75% are rebooting randomly throughout the day, none have SD Cards, and all are governed by our IT Policy..

So think the SD card is a red herring. Has anyone got anywhere with this at all?
    05-22-14 04:25 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this but eventually I found a simple and easy fix.

I got my 9720 as a gift at Xmas 2013, and I've been putting up with it constantly rebooting since. Reboot after reboot after reboot. It got to a point where it would only not reboot when my phone was on charge, making it virtually unusable outside.

I deleted all apps (third party and 'official') numerous times, no result. I updated the software numerous times too, again, no result.

I was getting restless and close to just buying an iPhone, but then I just decided to do a Security Wipe..you might be thinking..."well thats obvious", at the time this was not an obvious thing to do, hence I didnt think of doing it until 5 months after this problem had arisen.

In the Security Wipe do not keep anything, I removed my media card as I use it on my pc etc too so I didnt want to lose any files from there.

Options > Security > Wipe > Make sure no boxes are checked and click 'Wipe'

It will show a loading screen and then your phone will display a white screen for about 1/2mins.

Since completing the wipe, my 9720 has not rebooted itself since..

Guess the iPhone will have to wait
    05-25-14 01:28 PM
    Hi Guys,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this but eventually I found a simple and easy fix.

I got my 9720 as a gift at Xmas 2013, and I've been putting up with it constantly rebooting since. Reboot after reboot after reboot. It got to a point where it would only not reboot when my phone was on charge, making it virtually unusable outside.

I deleted all apps (third party and 'official') numerous times, no result. I updated the software numerous times too, again, no result.

I was getting restless and close to just buying an iPhone, but then I just decided to do a Security Wipe..you might be thinking..."well thats obvious", at the time this was not an obvious thing to do, hence I didnt think of doing it until 5 months after this problem had arisen.

In the Security Wipe do not keep anything, I removed my media card as I use it on my pc etc too so I didnt want to lose any files from there.

Options > Security > Wipe > Make sure no boxes are checked and click 'Wipe'

It will show a loading screen and then your phone will display a white screen for about 1/2mins.

Since completing the wipe, my 9720 has not rebooted itself since..

Guess the iPhone will have to wait
    I guess I will try this today!! In my case, most of the times it reboots it happens when a BBM message comes in (even without memory card)...
    05-28-14 06:28 AM
    I send my phone twice to bb expert centre. Up untill now almost 48 hour without shutdowm/rebooting

05-28-14 10:37 AM
    Sorry to reraise this old thread but Blackberry are being very cagey and obstructive when trying to resolve issues with rebooting 9720's we have more than 200 of these devices and a good 75% are rebooting randomly throughout the day, none have SD Cards, and all are governed by our IT Policy..

So think the SD card is a red herring. Has anyone got anywhere with this at all?
    Sd card is not the main reason. Because mine cause no problem when use it with replacement phone provided by expert centre.

05-28-14 10:39 AM
    Just following up on this, I read that reboots may be due to the gmail wireless syncronisation...any of you is using gmail?
    06-02-14 11:53 AM
    Just following up on this, I read that reboots may be due to the gmail wireless syncronisation...any of you is using gmail?
    I dont think so because nothing happen on mine. Since i got back my bb i dont experience any auto shutdown anymore. I suspect due to some hardware loose at battery area.

06-04-14 12:10 PM
    im using gmail. my reboots like crazy all day
    06-27-14 01:59 AM
    The guy that did a security wipe on his Blackberry to cure the reboots and which appears to have worked seems a good idea. I'll try it myself.
    06-29-14 09:13 AM
    i did the security wipe about 28 hours ago. it hasnt rebooted within this time frame.
    07-03-14 11:20 PM
    1 random reboot since i wiped on 7/1
    07-06-14 10:46 PM
    me too.... it often happen when I use OS 1083 CMIIW

but after use 1096 it rarely
    07-14-14 08:06 PM
    I also have a 9720 and it reboots everty day. I think it happnes more when battery is half down, I try to charge the battery only when its under 10% and charge it completely with the mobile off.

I also insert a piece of aluminium paper, or from a visit/bussines card to push the battery towards the pins for the batt in the mobile.

I tried to update firmaware,,, i have whatsapp and scren saver and flash app that are smaller than 100kb.

with this at the beggining it did not rebbooted so often,,, now i presume the only solution (temporary) might be to acquire a new battery, but where to buy a �n original bberry one???? at a good price???

mobile costed me 15 euro 2nd hand,,, so i dont think ill find an original battery at this cost.

i hope bberry will produce a good reliable pricy mobile someday,,, android is a spying mobile, apple is so simple i just cand stand it, and windows without kbd is of no use for me.

I justo got to the conclusion that bberry is drifting away after they made the 3g pearl and 9780 bold...

i tried 9790,,, battery got hot and was drained so fast, also the camera button was crap.

9900 has the same batt problem, aswell as a bad camera... i still have not been able to pick a q10 but the issue of not having the pointer pad neither call and hang buttons is not making me eager to get it.

then i by chanve got this 9720 thing,,, with its poor camera, no memory and an its old cpu,,, but i have to admit that its quite usefull, atg least i can use whatsapp,,, i could not use it with th 3g pearl,,,

I was really really happy with the 3G pearl, it was just the perfect mobile for me, small, half qwerty kbrd, 3,2 mpx autofocus with 2 positions button, the mp3 buttond on the top...

its so dificult to make another one like that but with actual hdw?? or at least a 9780!!!!

i miss the times when batterys lasted for 2 days or more!!!!
    05-15-16 10:35 AM
    I am also suffering from the same Problem. My Blackberry 9720 shut downs automatically. I wiped out my all data.. but still suffering. Can anyone please help...
    11-07-16 04:28 AM