I've had many BlackBerry devices in the past and am very comfortable with loading an OS including Hybrid OSes but this 9720 is giving me a headache.

I wanted to wipe the device in order to shrink the OS and get rid of the built in videos which take up like 23 MB of space

After I shrank the OS and ran loader.exe, I selected the components I want to install, then the installer starts...but after 5 seconds I get a message saying:

"failed to connect to device a newer version of app loader is required to load the operating system"

I then copied the OS installation folder located in the SHARED directory, uninstalled BlackBerry Desktop Software and reinstalled it again, then manually copied the OS 7.1.0.1046 to the SHARED folder but now when I run loader.exe as Administrator it takes a long time to start and when it does, it doesn't detect that my 9720 is connected no matter if I do a battery pull or not.

it will only see the device if I am using the loader.exe which comes when you install the OS 7.1.0.1047 but then I get the error I mentioned above

at the moment, I am downloading a 9790 OS 7.1.0.1070 in hope that it contains a newer version of loader.exe but I am not sure this will solve the issue

any suggestions?
    10-06-13 06:54 AM
    After I shrank the OS and ran loader.exe, I selected the components I want to install, then the installer starts...but after 5 seconds I get a message saying:

"failed to connect to device a newer version of app loader is required to load the operating system"

I then copied the OS installation folder located in the SHARED directory, uninstalled BlackBerry Desktop Software and reinstalled it again, then manually copied the OS 7.1.0.1046 to the SHARED folder but now when I run loader.exe as Administrator it takes a long time to start and when it does, it doesn't detect that my 9720 is connected no matter if I do a battery pull or not.
    This sounds more like a problem at the PC side, maybe a port driver issue or compatibility between the loader or BBdesktop software and your Windoze installation. It could also be "DLL-hell" with conflicting versions of loader and BBdesktop software leaving droppings in your Windows installation.

I think my approach would be (a) try a clean install of the OS download on a different PC.
    (b) If you don't have quick acces to another PC, uninstall (Control Panel) ALL the BB software, make sure Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion is cleaned up, and start with installing the OS version you want to load.
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    10-06-13 07:13 AM
    right, it might be a Windows OS issue from my side as well since I am on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (Final version not the preview)

Here is what I noticed,

If I use the Apploader that comes with the OS I am trying to install 7.1.01046 I would get this error:

If I use the Apploader which comes by default when you install the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software 7.1 Built 42, it takes ages till it launches loader.exe then it wouldn't detect the device no matter what.

So what I had to do is launch BlackBerry Desktop software with my 9720 connected, after trying to connect to the device, you would get an error message stating that it cannot connect to the device: Retry or Update

I clicked Update and here it is installing the OS again over the web via DM:

But here's what's interesting.... since the restoration of the OS was done over the web, the web installer did not download the built in media videos, music, Battery Saving Mode, or any other junk!! I now have 200 MB of device storage FREE! that's more than double of what I had before (95 MB), I know when I install a few apps it would be less but nothing more than another -20 MB so that's great! Hope this helps any other person who wants to regain the wasted space on his 9720.

Basically they need to wipe the device, then simply launch BlackBerry Desktop Software and choose Upgrade to reinstall the OS over the web
    Last edited by BullGuard8; 10-06-13 at 08:49 AM.
    10-06-13 07:58 AM
    I am trying to update software on BB 9720.

After installing desktop software, I can see currently I have 7.1 Bundle 2839 and upgrade available is 7.1 Bundle 2910. When I click update, I get a message that BB desktop software needs to be updated, I say ok. Then I get an error : an error occured while downloading blackberry desktop software.

I fail to understand :
    1. when i downloaded "710_b042_multilanguage.exe" today, is it not latest version?
    2. I guess it is not, so it asks to update bb desktop software before updating software on my 9720 and then i get an error

is there any other way to update software in my bb 9720

Unable to re-load OS-updateerror.jpg
    11-03-14 11:40 AM