The 9320 looks better than that.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 09:58 AM
    Do any of you guys have family or friends in these "emerging markets"? If you did then you would know that there are still plenty of people seeking BIS enabled cell phone. Data plans are very expensive in these markets and many of the networks are still in the process of upgrading to higher speeds. Having resource and data heavy phones for simple email, social media, and BBM use is senseless. Paying a low flat rate for these services is much more sensible and feasible for them. Some people still use a phone as a communication device and not necessarily as a media rich entertainment device.

Besides, this makes BlackBerry some well needed money with minimal costs.
    Ding ding ding... we have a winner
    07-08-13 09:59 AM
    Here's a good reason for OS7 and BIS, my wife is in Orlando Florida with the kids at the moment, after a week she gets this message:

"Hi from Orange. You've used 6MB outside of the EU this month. We're just letting you know so you can manage your costs. The next alert we'll send will be when you've used 10MB. You can keep a track of your data by downloading our roaming app Roaming Angel at http://orangeworld.co.uk/r/roamingangel/ - Data charges may apply, just make sure you download it over wifi. Visit orange.co.uk/roaming for more info or call +447973100150 for free."

And that is with hundreds of bbms every day and at least 50 photos.

A BB10 device would use more at idle.

Edit: this is without any wifi use whatsoever.
    07-08-13 10:23 AM
    They will get hammered by the press and the markets at the official release of this device.
    Are you an investor? You sound more worried about reputation then sales and giving Legacy fans what they want? Personally I do not care about stock prices, I don't gamble.
    07-08-13 10:28 AM
    I'm not sure I agree. A lot of markets still need data plans like BIS. Who wants to pay per mb in those markets when your idevice or android is gobbling up data like there's no tomorrow?
    And BlackBerry has plenty of phones, already developed and released, that can be used, and probably even introduced to those markets. I'm not seeing what releasing a totally new devices will accomplish when you have existing devices that can be used. Sometimes image matters and IMHO this won't look good to the world outside those markets. They should have just kept quiet and released it without telling everyone about it.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-08-13 10:30 AM
    The battery cover ... for probably very little more it could have had the type of back cover the Z10 has. The same goes for the Q5. Again, just look at the build quality of the Lumia 520 by way of comparison. This is not a company that appreciates design.
    07-08-13 10:37 AM
    And BlackBerry has plenty of phones, already developed and released, that can be used, and probably even introduced to those markets. I'm not seeing what releasing a totally new devices will accomplish when you have existing devices that can be used. Sometimes image matters and IMHO this won't look good to the world outside those markets. They should have just kept quiet and released it without telling everyone about it.
    This phone is about cosmetics. The Q5 styling cues. Putting lipstick on a pig. If it had a 2.8 inch screen that would be a useful improvement for the Curve. Why call it a Bold and not a Curve?
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-08-13 at 12:25 PM.
    07-08-13 10:40 AM
    Though you make valid points, I am not sure you are seeing the big picture. People still want Legacy devices. They would like to know that there is another BIS device coming that is not the 99xx (which is still quite costly). I'm not sure that the older devices are still in production and a slight update to the hardware would do a Legacy device some good.

BTW, I understand the image thing, but the reality is that BlackBerry needs to have a worldwide presence. BlackBerry can't survive on just the "1st world" consumer market where image is of more importance.
    07-08-13 10:51 AM
    So this is the "new exciting BlackBerry."

Take a Curve keyboard, put it on a 9790 frame, use a 9790 screen, 9860 buttons, and manufacture new and improved battery covers. We've got the BlackBerry 9720, Frankenstein Edition...an amalgamation of previously used parts.

Did I miss the "new and exciting" bits? I DID blink.....
    lnichols and mikeo007 like this.
    07-08-13 11:18 AM
    Clearing out the factory floor liquidation sale.

It's actually insulting. Leftover bin grab bag.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-08-13 11:20 AM

Take a Curve keyboard, put it on a 9790 frame, use a 9790 screen, 9860 buttons, and manufacture new and improved battery covers. We've got the BlackBerry 9720, Frankenstein Edition...an amalgamation of previously used parts.

no they didn't do that, their methodology was far simpler, take a Q5, under spec it then beat the life out of it with the ugly stick

In all honesty when you even look at the 8520 compared to this id take the 8520. imo they had it right with the 9360 form factor.

Also you have to question what the heck carriers are thinking, they turned down the dev alpha A device look, but this looks fine! wheres the logic in that?
    07-08-13 11:38 AM
    Why are people so afraid of a new Legacy device? Especially since most are not even in the intended market for it? Live and let live, my prediction is this will sell like hotcakes assuming they don't mess with BIS on it.

I don't mind a parts bin device as long as it works as intended and it saves me money.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    07-08-13 11:41 AM
    no they didn't do that, their methodology was far simpler, take a Q5, under spec it then beat the life out of it with the ugly stick

In all honesty when you even look at the 8520 compared to this id take the 8520. imo they had it right with the 9360 form factor.

Also you have to question what the heck carriers are thinking, they turned down the dev alpha A device look, but this looks fine! wheres the logic in that?
    I bet it will look a lot better in real life, this has been said before about BB devices, remember the Style "ugly" outcry? It turned out to be quite a sexy device in the end. The same about the 9790 individual menu buttons, I'd take them any day over the flat ones on the 9900.
    07-08-13 11:47 AM
    Why are people so afraid of a new Legacy device? Especially since most are not even in the intended market for it? Live and let live, my prediction is this will sell like hotcakes assuming they don't mess with BIS on it.

I don't mind a parts bin device as long as it works as intended and it saves me money.
    you do realise how much the media will rip BlackBerry and BB10 apart if this outsells BB10 though right?

if it sells well then that's cos BB10 is a flop, if it sells poorly then its a flop. That's how the media will paint it, and even opening yourself up to that is just dumb.

edit: just to re-inforce my point it seems its already started http://bgr.com/2013/07/08/blackberry-9720-specs-leak/

Imagine Google debuting a new Nexus phone later this year that runs Gingerbread, or Apple getting ready to launch a new iPhone in 2014 powered by iOS 6. As peculiar as those scenarios sound, struggling smartphone vendor BlackBerry is getting ready to go back to the future by unveiling a new BlackBerry 7 smartphone later this year. With BlackBerry 10 still failing to gain traction as shipments totaled just 2.7 million units in the most recent quarter, BlackBerry is getting ready to launch the new BlackBerry 9720, according to a report from CrackBerry. The phone will likely be included in the old Curve series, the blog noted, and known specs include a full QWERTY keyboard, a 480 x 360-pixel display and the BlackBerry 7.1 operating system.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-08-13 11:48 AM
    you do realise how much the media will rip BlackBerry and BB10 apart if this outsells BB10 though right?

if it sells well then that's cos BB10 is a flop, if it sells poorly then its a flop. That's how the media will paint it, and even opening yourself up to that is just dumb.
    Why should I care? I want a new Legacy device, my cash is waiting. How it affects BB10 is not my concern, and neither should be BB's, the media will always find something else to bash them with. Always did always will.
    07-08-13 11:51 AM
    Seems to me to be a slide backwards, I wonder if we'll start seeing more updates to the OS 7 again, hope everybody kept their 9900's!
    07-08-13 11:52 AM

(grin) I like the "Frankenstein Edition" reference. I wonder if it would sell with a name like that?
    07-08-13 11:56 AM
    (grin) I like the "Frankenstein Edition" reference. I wonder if it would sell with a name like that?
    She got it wrong though, it's not a Curve keyboard, it's a Q5 keyboard and it's too big to have the 9790 body, this is a redesigned Q5
    07-08-13 11:59 AM

Sadly they wanted to use the name FrankenBerry, but General Mills would have sued them!

Leaked Photos for the upcoming BBOS 7 device 9720-frankenberry.jpg
    07-08-13 12:06 PM

edit: just to re-inforce my point it seems its already started BlackBerry 9720 Specs Revealed, New BlackBerry 7 Phone Coming Soon | BGR
    The media is going to rip blackberry no matter what they do. I get your point but if there is significant demand for this in some markets then I also understand a company pursuing the retention of those customers. It could be they aren't able to offer a BB 10 device at such a low price point yet and given the data saving on BIS devices this might make sense for them.
    07-08-13 12:08 PM
    Sadly they wanted to use the name FrankenBerry, but General Mills would have sued them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frankenberry.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	180309
    O M G!!!!!!

That is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

Now if they could make it in PeptoBismol pink we'd be set.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-13 12:12 PM
    Yeah,i don't agree with that at all. If they can use up old hardware and make money while doing it, more power to 'em. Even if you're investing you should realize that this is a good thing
    07-08-13 12:14 PM
    I don't get the hating about this device.
    OS10 is still improving - just look at the OS10.2 video, Blackberry is working hard on it.
    And it's also good to see that all the legacy device are still supported!

Is still use my 9790 and love that device!
    - BIS is great!
    - Data compression is great, esp. at locations with a bad signal reception I can still load pages faster than friend with iOS oder Android. It's also great when I travel, when I buy roaming tickets in foreign countries my data limit lasts pretty long compared to other plattforms!
    - I also love my trackpad and other physical keys in that row.

Sure, OS10 is the future but BBOS is not dead!
    The new device could be a cash cow for Blackberry, plattform is ready and I don't think that producing that 9720 is as expensive as producing a OS10 device.
    So why not?

Everyone who wants a OS10 device is still free to upgrade!
    07-08-13 01:02 PM
    Looks like BBRY is trying to produce a new BB7 device with ho hum specs so as not to outshine BB10.

Probably an attempt to stem the BB defections with a slightly newer (not necessarily much better) BB7 device without taking away from the notion that BB10 is where the corporation's resources are being focused.

I am stunned that this device would warrant a mention by the CEO at the quarterly earnings call as it seems pretty unexciting (at least it doesn't look particularly exciting). By mentioning this device, Thorsten Heins mangled the message that the future of BBRY rests with BB10 and unintentionally signalling a lack of confidence in BB10 (perhaps even acknowledging that BBRY was hedging its bets by launching a new BB7 device along side all the anticipated BB10 launched).
    07-08-13 01:04 PM
    Yeah,i don't agree with that at all. If they can use up old hardware and make money while doing it, more power to 'em. Even if you're investing you should realize that this is a good thing
    I think that they should use old hardware and already existing products like the 9790, 9780, heck even the 9700, instead of making a 9720.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-08-13 01:06 PM
128 1234 ...