She got it wrong though, it's not a Curve keyboard, it's a Q5 keyboard and it's too big to have the 9790 body, this is a redesigned Q5
    Well the resolution is reported to be:

480 x 360

Which seems to point to a smaller screen than the Q5 or the 9900. If it were at least 2.8 inches that would be OK for the cheap set.
    07-08-13 01:07 PM
    I think that they should use old hardware and already existing products like the 9790, 9780, heck even the 9700, instead of making a 9720.
    And who's gonna buy those, unless you haven't noticed sales of existing bbos devices are way down, time for something new
    07-08-13 01:24 PM
    And who's gonna buy those, unless you haven't noticed sales of existing bbos devices are way down, time for something new
    So you slap a 20 after the 97, change the looks of it slightly and even though it is basically the same phone as already existing models and people will flock to them? I kept a 9630 for almost 3 years because the 9650 was the same phone with a trackpad instead of a track ball. I guess a sucker is born every day and if you can get people to upgrade with a number swap, and no other improvements, then more power to you.
    07-08-13 01:30 PM
    why cant the 9900 price be dropped to the price of the curves and sell that in markets where it was too expensive before?
    07-08-13 01:40 PM
    why cant the 9900 price be dropped to the price of the curves and sell that in markets where it was too expensive before?
    That is the only thing that would have made sense.

Whatever.

I've got my Z10, I'll get my Aristo, and I'll jump on the iPhone 5S.

I've left 2009 behind me. this wouldn't tempt me even if it landed in AT&T tomorrow at $19.95.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-13 01:50 PM
    Well the resolution is reported to be:

480 x 360

Which seems to point to a smaller screen than the Q5 or the 9900. If it were at least 2.8 inches that would be OK for the cheap set.
    Bingo.

9790. Which would sync with the 97xx nomenclature.

07-08-13 01:52 PM
    probably because of the cost of production of the unit. This new one will allow them to not take a loss on the hardware portion whereas they have been taking a loss on the legacy units in many markets.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    07-08-13 01:53 PM
    That is the only thing that would have made sense.

Whatever.

I've got my Z10, I'll get my Aristo, and I'll jump on the iPhone 5S.

I've left 2009 behind me. this wouldn't tempt me even if it landed in AT&T tomorrow at $19.95.

We all need to keep in mind that this device is not intended for the market's we are in. This is for the markets that rely on BIS due to sheer price, and can now get a handset at a cheap price as well. I don't see this being marketed to first world markets. Of course I could be way off base but that's how I'm seeing it.
    07-08-13 01:56 PM
    Even if this device releases, it won't be in the US or Canada. We're talking emerging markets. Which, by the way, BlackBerry excels in. I have confidence in the new BlackBerry personnel. Though quarterly results weren't anything to write home about, they seem to be level headed and knowledgeable about what needs to be done to make BlackBerry more successful.

Posted via CB10
    Umm I dont think BB excels in this at all...
    07-08-13 01:58 PM

I test it:
    - keyboard ia Curve design
    - keyboard surprisingly very good for typing, much better then on Q5 (much softer)
    - width and height are as Bold 9900
    - sw 1005 very good, specially touchpad response
    - screen also very good
    - back as Q5 design
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-08-13 01:58 PM
    As soon as the tech sites get a review unit of this the BB reputation is going to be trampled even harder.
    bobos boboulinos likes this.
    07-08-13 01:59 PM
    We all need to keep in mind that this device is not intended for the market's we are in. This is for the markets that rely on BIS due to sheer price, and can now get a handset at a cheap price as well. I don't see this being marketed to first world markets. Of course I could be way off base but that's how I'm seeing it.
    Yup, which is why I said "if it landed."
    Why not drop the price of the 9900 as suggested instead of this Frankenberry.

07-08-13 01:59 PM
    From a business standpoint, I can see why BB would release this. The legacy BBOS devices still made up about ~70% of thier phone sales last quarter. So there is still a market for those, so might as well take advantage of it. I would hope this is their last new OS7 device. I can't see them pumping a new OS7 device every year. You would have to think BB10 devices outsell legacy devices this current quarter? Or the next one at worst? If FY2014 ends with BB10 outselling BBOS, then it is time to start phasing those out.

From a marketing standpoint, this is horrible. As posted above, BGR already has snide writeup about this and I expect others to follow. That is what the media will do. If BB were smart, they would come out and say that the 9720 is for a specific market i.e not North America that OS7 devices still sell well. If BB doesn't mention this (and they won't) then the North American media will spin/imply that you can order this in the US and Canada and it will be forgotten and laughed about and that is all regular consumers will hear about it. I know there is still a market for OS7 devices, but it is just more fragmentation. I imagine BB would be too scared of consumer backlash to cut off BBOS support all of a sudden. At what point will components for reak cheap BB10 (I thought the Q5 would be it, but I guess not) phones be available? When OS11 devices are out in two years? If so, BB should do a trade in and/or marketing campaign to get people on BB10 phones no matter what. Maybe work out some deals with international carriers to lower excess data fees for the new cheap BB customers? Or find a way to put some kind of BIS in to OS 10/11 and don't worry about the carriers? Step out of the box and go an extra mile to get these people on to the OS 10/11 within five-seven years. Grandfathers existing BB owners in or whatever you have to do. I think five-seven years is enough time before pulling the plug on legacy BBOS. I understand XP support is lasting until 2014, but I think the smartphone industry is different.
    07-08-13 02:04 PM
    I test it:
    - keyboard ia Curve design
    - keyboard surprisingly very good for typing, much better then on Q5 (much softer)
    - width and height are as Bold 9900
    - sw 1005 very good, specially touchpad response
    - screen also very good
    - back as Q5 design
    What is the screeen size ? If it is 9900 sized then fine.
    07-08-13 03:35 PM
    Yup, which is why I said "if it landed."
    Why not drop the price of the 9900 as suggested instead of this Frankenberry.

Because the 9900 must be as costly to produce as the Q10.
    07-08-13 03:36 PM
    Because the 9900 must be as costly to produce as the Q10.
    the 9900 parts by now are much much cheaper than back in 2011. This would allow BB to drop the price quite a bit
    07-08-13 03:50 PM
    The chips are cheaper for the 9900, but the rest of the materials/assembly wouldn't have changed much, and may have even gone up somewhat. I think this move only makes sense if they've figured out how to get the total cost down significantly so that hardware margins are positive (like someone above said). Maybe they worked closely with the Asian suppliers to re-design a curve at very low cost? Nokia has figured out how to make phones cheaply. Hopefully Blackberry has too.

the 9900 parts by now are much much cheaper than back in 2011. This would allow BB to drop the price quite a bit
    07-08-13 04:09 PM
    From a business standpoint, I can see why BB would release this. The legacy BBOS devices still made up about ~70% of thier phone sales last quarter. So there is still a market for those, so might as well take advantage of it. I would hope this is their last new OS7 device. I can't see them pumping a new OS7 device every year. You would have to think BB10 devices outsell legacy devices this current quarter? Or the next one at worst? If FY2014 ends with BB10 outselling BBOS, then it is time to start phasing those out.

From a marketing standpoint, this is horrible. As posted above, BGR already has snide writeup about this and I expect others to follow. That is what the media will do. If BB were smart, they would come out and say that the 9720 is for a specific market i.e not North America that OS7 devices still sell well. If BB doesn't mention this (and they won't) then the North American media will spin/imply that you can order this in the US and Canada and it will be forgotten and laughed about and that is all regular consumers will hear about it. I know there is still a market for OS7 devices, but it is just more fragmentation. I imagine BB would be too scared of consumer backlash to cut off BBOS support all of a sudden. At what point will components for reak cheap BB10 (I thought the Q5 would be it, but I guess not) phones be available? When OS11 devices are out in two years? If so, BB should do a trade in and/or marketing campaign to get people on BB10 phones no matter what. Maybe work out some deals with international carriers to lower excess data fees for the new cheap BB customers? Or find a way to put some kind of BIS in to OS 10/11 and don't worry about the carriers? Step out of the box and go an extra mile to get these people on to the OS 10/11 within five-seven years. Grandfathers existing BB owners in or whatever you have to do. I think five-seven years is enough time before pulling the plug on legacy BBOS. I understand XP support is lasting until 2014, but I think the smartphone industry is different.
    Why cant it continue on as a parallel low-mid end platform? Why must the plug be pulled on it? Everything is already in place, the infrastructure, manufacturing etc, if it continues to sell, why pull the plug?
    07-08-13 04:16 PM
    BBOS7 still sells like hotcakes here in South Africa. I believe this is BlackBerry's way of going cheap for those still reluctant to jump to BB10.

What BlackBerry should do is price the Q5 with the current high end curves and stop BBOS7.
    07-08-13 04:48 PM
    BBOS7 still sells like hotcakes here in South Africa. I believe this is BlackBerry's way of going cheap for those still reluctant to jump to BB10.

What BlackBerry should do is price the Q5 with the current high end curves and stop BBOS7.
    Interesting perspective from someone who belongs to the target market.

I agree with you that BB7 should be EOL. What is the feeling amongst your circle of friends and family on BB7?

07-08-13 05:23 PM
    I don't get it. What exactly makes it "new"? Certainly not the styling or looks. Not the system. Why would anyone buy it instead of a 9930 or any other BB7 device? BlackBerry once again leaves me shrugging my shoulders at it's "new and improved".
    07-08-13 05:29 PM
    I don't get it. What exactly makes it "new"? Certainly not the styling or looks. Not the system. Why would anyone buy it instead of a 9930 or any other BB7 device? BlackBerry once again leaves me shrugging my shoulders at it's "new and improved".
    The 9900 is still �350 in UK, same as the new Q5, this device will be cheaper
    07-08-13 05:38 PM
    The 9900 is still �350 in UK, same as the new Q5, this device will be cheaper
    And that is the issue. Instead of throwing the guts of a Curve into a Bold chassis, drop the price of the 9900, 9810, and 9860 to cover the emerging markets. BlackBerry has always priced their stuff to high and not dropped it over time to keep moving units. Also you would get people used to a touch screen too. Those devices are all using a three year old processor and should be able to be made much cheaper now.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 06:13 PM
    Looks like BBRY is trying to produce a new BB7 device with ho hum specs so as not to outshine BB10.

Probably an attempt to stem the BB defections with a slightly newer (not necessarily much better) BB7 device without taking away from the notion that BB10 is where the corporation's resources are being focused.

I am stunned that this device would warrant a mention by the CEO at the quarterly earnings call as it seems pretty unexciting (at least it doesn't look particularly exciting). By mentioning this device, Thorsten Heins mangled the message that the future of BBRY rests with BB10 and unintentionally signalling a lack of confidence in BB10 (perhaps even acknowledging that BBRY was hedging its bets by launching a new BB7 device along side all the anticipated BB10 launched).
    Eh, as far as the specs on the new BlackBerry(on OS 7.1), It would be foolish for anyone to expect more.....especially with the unreleased BlackBerries around the corner. LOL. Maybe the new "FrankenBerry" will sell the millions upon millions that BB10 hasn't sold.......yet.
    07-08-13 06:23 PM
    And that is the issue. Instead of throwing the guts of a Curve into a Bold chassis, drop the price of the 9900, 9810, and 9860 to cover the emerging markets. BlackBerry has always priced their stuff to high and not dropped it over time to keep moving units. Also you would get people used to a touch screen too. Those devices are all using a three year old processor and should be able to be made much cheaper now.

Posted via CB10
    The processor is only one component, the rest of the 9900 is high quality materials, including the "new" material they invented for the Q10. You can't make the 9900 much cheaper but you can create a new phone from scratch cheaper.

At this point I have no interest in a high end phone, I've slowly got past that, give me a good dependable phone at reasonable monthly price.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-08-13 06:26 PM
128 12345 ...