Hello,

I have spent quite some time searching on the web how to load the Official release 9720 OS 7.1.0.1121 (b2994) O2 UK from Blackberry's website on a open (unbranded) 9720 device. I have tried many versions/ways that I have come across to update the OS.

I tried updating with only via DM by deleting the vendor.xml file (of course reboot PC and device), with BBSAK only (program does not see the updated installed BB OS at all even though it exists on the PC), a combination of DM and BBSAK (removing the vendor.xml file and rebooting all devcies) and some other tricks as found on the web. Unfortunately nothing has worked up to date, and now I am turning here to reach out for help.

Maybe I have overlooked or missed something in the procedure or maybe don't know some small trick/workaround (though each place that had something mentioned it was followed exactly). Any help would be really truly appreciated.

Device is running out of the box with 7.1 Bundle 2910 (v7.1.0.1083, Platform 9.105.0.18), PC is running Windows 7 64bit with lastest version of DM and BBSAK currently available. Older version of DM and BBASK were attempted, but all came to a similar point - nothing worked.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.
    02-05-15 07:52 AM
    So I went to the O2 UK downloads and found:

Software For BlackBerry� Curve™ 9720 smartphone
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.2994 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 7.1.0.2994
    Consisting of:
    • Applications: 7.1.0.1121
    • Software Platform: 9.105.0.26
    • File name: 9720M_PBr7.1.0_rel2994_PL9.105.0.26_A7.1.0.1121_O2 _UK.exe
    • File size: 236.95MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
    Good, the version you want is available so, download it here: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...B73B97E1AAA491

Install it and proceed to plug your device to Desktop Software and make a full backup. I don't really remember if you need this, but better SAFE than SORRY.

Next, (if your phone is NOT a O2 device, delete the vendor.xml, else, don't bother) plug the device to the PC, run the loader.exe and fellow the steps. If you end up with a wiped device, just restore the backup.

There is this guide, which is the longer version of what I just told you: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

That should do it! Best of luck!
    02-05-15 09:12 AM
    Hello,

Thank you kindly for your quick response - truly appreciate it (sorry for the late response).

One quick question that comes to mind - does loading an official OS from a carrier on an unlocked (un-branded) device that has warranty end up voiding it ?

Thanks again for your help. Have a good one!
    02-09-15 05:07 AM
    No software update will ever void your warranty.
    02-09-15 09:58 AM
    Hey Kubek13, how is the phone overall? is the phone running smooth and evrything? as I wish to buy one but I don't fully know if I should.
    02-09-15 12:18 PM
    No software update will ever void your warranty.
    Good to know ! Thank you for this information.

Thank you very much for all your help and quick professional answers.

After running into a few problems, the newer version of the OS finally installed. I had to download a different version of the OS (9720M_PBr7.1.0_rel2994_PL9.105.0.26_A7.1.0.1121_O 2_UK.exe) in order for it to install on the device.

For some reason there was an error with the other version (9720jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2994_PL9.105.0.26_A7.1.0 .1121_O2_UK.exe) after two attempts to install. The error was that a newer version of the AppLoader was required in order to install the OS. Even after installing BB DM, the DM software did not see that this version of the OS was installed on the PC.

This I managed to find a solution for - removing 9720jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2994_PL9.105.0.26_A7.1.0. 1121_O2_UK.exe, downloading 9720M_PBr7.1.0_rel2994_PL9.105.0.26_A7.1.0.1121_O2 _UK.exe instead and then re-installing the lastest version of BB DM currently available. It finally installed without any hitches or issues. Not sure if the problem was because of the version I was using or if it had to do with something else.

I also found that the order in which the installation is done makes a difference (at least in this case). First loading the OS, deleting the vendor.xml file, then after installing BB OS to complete the installation. Otherwise nothing was visible in DM without performing complete uninstall.

One last question - what is the best way to find out what the most recent update available for OS 7.1 is available without having to dig through all the carriers ?
    diegonei likes this.
    02-10-15 05:01 AM
    Hey Kubek13, how is the phone overall? is the phone running smooth and evrything? as I wish to buy one but I don't fully know if I should.
    Hello Ice_Cold_Q,

It is a great phone thus far. It's a hybrid between the old BB 6 OS and the new BB 10 OS (bridging gap probably before the leap to touch screens and new Operating System).

If you are looking for a phone that is geared toward the mature crowd, then I highly recommend it. Blackberry has always had normal ring tones and business/other applications (maybe not as much as it's competitors but to date it's enough) as well as many other features for a different group type of people (not saying that others are worse/better or that Blackberry is the best, but it's not a phone with tons of applications that's geared for the younger crowd - really don't want to stereotype or insult anyone because that's not my intentions). Everyone needs something different for their own personal needs. It all really depends what you want to do and what you expect out of the phone itself in the end.

I am fairly happy with it - clarity of voice calls, a good camera for pictures/videos (obviously not perfect, but cannot complain about it), bright and clear display, an extremely comfortable qwerty keyboard compared to the BOLD qwerty keyboard. One small thing is that it's noisy as you can hear the clicking of the keys, but it's something that you can get used quickly over time. It's much easier to type with then the BOLD keyboard, which is a big plus. Too bad they didn't include this keyboard on the BOLD. It would be a perfect match (guess you cannot have everything at a certain price point - cost vs benefit).

Only a few small problems such as battery life - it seems to drain quickly, but after playing around with the battery saver application and setting it to "always on" and using bedside mode it makes a huge difference in battery life (read a lot about while also looking at BB 10 OS). Also it seemed to suffer from random hangs here and there (nothing compared to other competitors - I found that doing some house cleaning on BB's and from time to time a complete wipe after performing full backup and OS reinstall helps - it is after all a mini computer and behaves like any other), that is why I opted for a software update to see how it behaves after installing a newer version of the BB 7.1 OS.

Hope this gives you some insight and helps you to make your own decision.
    02-10-15 05:04 AM
    Hello Ice_Cold_Q,

It is a great phone thus far. It's a hybrid between the old BB 6 OS and the new BB 10 OS (bridging gap probably before the leap to touch screens and new Operating System).

If you are looking for a phone that is geared toward the mature crowd, then I highly recommend it. Blackberry has always had normal ring tones and business/other applications (maybe not as much as it's competitors but to date it's enough) as well as many other features for a different group type of people (not saying that others are worse/better or that Blackberry is the best, but it's not a phone with tons of applications that's geared for the younger crowd - really don't want to stereotype or insult anyone because that's not my intentions). Everyone needs something different for their own personal needs. It all really depends what you want to do and what you expect out of the phone itself in the end.

I am fairly happy with it - clarity of voice calls, a good camera for pictures/videos (obviously not perfect, but cannot complain about it), bright and clear display, an extremely comfortable qwerty keyboard compared to the BOLD qwerty keyboard. One small thing is that it's noisy as you can hear the clicking of the keys, but it's something that you can get used quickly over time. It's much easier to type with then the BOLD keyboard, which is a big plus. Too bad they didn't include this keyboard on the BOLD. It would be a perfect match (guess you cannot have everything at a certain price point - cost vs benefit).

Only a few small problems such as battery life - it seems to drain quickly, but after playing around with the battery saver application and setting it to "always on" and using bedside mode it makes a huge difference in battery life (read a lot about while also looking at BB 10 OS). Also it seemed to suffer from random hangs here and there (nothing compared to other competitors - I found that doing some house cleaning on BB's and from time to time a complete wipe after performing full backup and OS reinstall helps - it is after all a mini computer and behaves like any other), that is why I opted for a software update to see how it behaves after installing a newer version of the BB 7.1 OS.

Hope this gives you some insight and helps you to make your own decision.
    Thanks for this. I'm actually getting a Q5 now
    02-17-15 01:16 AM