I thought the Q was coming down in price- if that's the case you would probably get everything you need and more from that one.

Email on BB10 is just as fast as it was on bbos7. Not really sure why you think it wouldn't be, and if we are talking milliseconds it really doesn't make a difference does it?

Data compression- yes it was better under bbos7, but I haven't seen a message truncated message in months

Not really sure how the 9720 would give you cheaper roaming though? All BlackBerry have wifi calling.

Track pad - honestly this was my initial concern, but I've come to realize that I only needed it because the touch screen and my typing habits were so bad. Between the new keyboard and the learning as you type feature, I don't miss it!

The call / end buttons are a waste of space..think about it; only used when in calls. In bb10 they've anchored a call button to the bottom of the home screen so it's the same thing, just not there in an app. Likewise with the end call which had two functions : return to main home screen- which is now a swipe up, and 2 end a call which again has a huge button a chord to the bottom of the call screen.

Speed dial - might be mistaken but the Q has this and there are dedicated slots at the top of the screen which you can anchor contacts too.

All I would suggest is to try out the new line of devices before committing to old faithful (9720).

Posted via CB10
    If you are trying so hard to convince people to use BB 10, it means there is something seriously wrong with it, which there is
    08-24-13 08:43 AM
    If you are trying so hard to convince people to use BB 10, it means there is something seriously wrong with it, which there is
    Right on the money!
    08-24-13 10:10 AM
    If I had to get a bbos7 device it would be the 9900 any day.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 03:33 PM
    If I had to get a bbos7 device it would be the 9900 any day.

Posted via CB10
    seems to me like the 9720 isn't it? because it has a bigger battery? how else is the 9900 better than the 9720?
    08-24-13 04:06 PM
    seems to me like the 9720 isn't it? because it has a bigger battery? how else is the 9900 better than the 9720?
    In only two ways, more application memory and 6gb internal media storage. But I'd take the 9720 price and FM Radio over the 9900 any day.
    08-24-13 04:12 PM
    Hardly the case. I'm not a salesman for BlackBerry and I could care less what device role choose. I do however understand the 'warm and comfy place' BBOS was for many of us, and I was merely stating my own opinion where I took that jump out to the new platform, and like what I see.

Now as for this device being released at this point in time, I question with all honesty why someone would knowingly opt for a device that has a crippled browsing experience, extremely limited storage and multimedia capacity, zero development in terms of application updates, and near zero prospect for OS updates. The 9900, a device released two years ago has better capabilities, and can do the job better. A Q5, could run circles around this device.

Posted via CB10
    CHIP72 likes this.
    08-24-13 10:07 PM
    Now as for this device being released at this point in time, I question with all honesty why someone would knowingly opt for a device that has a crippled browsing experience, extremely limited storage and multimedia capacity, zero development in terms of application updates, and near zero prospect for OS updates. The 9900, a device released two years ago has better capabilities, and can do the job better. A Q5, could run circles around this device.

Posted via CB10
    with all do respect, I did not understand that whole paragraph, can you please rephrase in simpler english? I am not familiar with the term "run circles around this device" as you mentioned about the Q5 and certainly did not understand what you were trying to say before that starting from the 2nd paragraph
    08-25-13 01:28 AM
    Hardly the case. I'm not a salesman for BlackBerry and I could care less what device role choose. I do however understand the 'warm and comfy place' BBOS was for many of us, and I was merely stating my own opinion where I took that jump out to the new platform, and like what I see.

Posted via CB10
    Very wrong, my 9700 that runs on OS5 has had 3 Whatsapp updates and 2 Facebook updates since I started using it again 2-3 months ago. Twitter also had one update and if I remember right BBM too
    08-25-13 03:56 AM
    Very wrong, my 9700 that runs on OS5 has had 3 Whatsapp updates and 2 Facebook updates since I started using it again 2-3 months ago. Twitter also had one update and if I remember right BBM too
    true, I am using my 9700 still after having had put a new battery in it and put a brand new cover, it looks brand new and it gives me 2 days battery life thanks to its 1500 mAH battery and amaaaaaaaaaaaazing camera 3.2 MP with auto focus kicks the 9900's camera's **** any day
    08-25-13 08:51 AM
    with all do respect, I did not understand that whole paragraph, can you please rephrase in simpler english? I am not familiar with the term "run circles around this device" as you mentioned about the Q5 and certainly did not understand what you were trying to say before that starting from the 2nd paragraph
    Sure, no worries. All I meant was that if you look at what this phone (9720) is in terms of specifications, the older 9900 would have arguably better specifications. Specifically the amount of memory available for storage (not taking into consideration the SD card), the physical size as well as resolution of the screen and some other aspects. Now in comparing this new legacy device to the new platform, the differences are even greater.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:20 PM
    When an OS update gives you a better sensor, higher screen resolution a front facing camera or some extra storage space, let me know. /s

Now, yes. These legacy apps got updated. What did they add? Were they new features or big fixes? When will Skype be coming? How about an update to docs to go or citrix? My point is that these devices will not get updated with any great frequency. Frankly by you not upgrading you are missing out. I can still drive my 78 pinto back and forth and use it as a point a to point b vehicle, but why would I? Ignorance is a bliss...

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:27 PM
    When an OS update gives you a better sensor, higher screen resolution a front facing camera or some extra storage space, let me know. /s

Now, yes. These legacy apps got updated. What did they add? Were they new features or big fixes? When will Skype be coming? How about an update to docs to go or citrix? My point is that these devices will not get updated with any great frequency. Frankly by you not upgrading you are missing out. I can still drive my 78 pinto back and forth and use it as a point a to point b vehicle, but why would I? Ignorance is a bliss...

Posted via CB10
    You're only missing the out if you need all that stuff, if you don't this phone is pure value for money, some �100 cheaper then the 9900 if not more. If you want cheap communications this is the phone for you, if you care about specs it's not. Simple as that.

I pay around �40 a month at the moment, I can upgrade to this phone for free and the phone will be free and half my monthly costs to �20 with roughly the same minutes/texts/data included. It's a no brainer to me.
    08-27-13 02:21 PM
    The 9720 is a spiced up curve 9230 in a Bold format, it is not a true Bold. Classics like the 9900/9930, in the words of the hitman are 'the best there is, the best there was and the best there will ever be'

08-27-13 04:30 PM
    Ive got an itch
    08-28-13 02:52 PM
    yes!
    I have been looking in Toronto for a 9720, without success.
    maybe ebay?
    no carriers stock it of course.
    why has it been restricted to non-NA markets?
    11-05-13 03:06 PM
    I have a z10 but wouldn't mind getting another BlackBerry I was thinking 9900 but I'm having an itch for this now lol

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 11:59 PM
    Well I have been looking for a 9720, without much success. It looks like I can get one from England (locked to T-mobile/orange) and when I used to think a 9720 was a 9720 it all looked good. Now I am not so sure now that this phone would work on a AWS network in Canada, or even the GMS network. God knows what has been done to berries between countries, never mind between carriers.
    Does anyone have experience with using a phoned in north america/canada purchased in europe/uk?
    11-16-13 12:31 PM
    Look for it on eBay. $220
    New Blackberry 9720 Unlocked GSM OS 7 1 Cell Phone Black | eBay

The 9720 supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (bands 1,2,5,8) , but not AWS (1700/2100) (band 4).
    11-18-13 10:44 AM
68 123