IfI had to choose, I would rather get a 9900 off ebay.
    The problem with that is no warranty, if it goes south you're on your own.
    07-25-13 05:00 PM
    Itching to get that new lock screen on my 9810. Hopefully OS 7.2 will go to all 7.1 devices. Knowing the track record of BB I'm not holding my breath...
    07-25-13 05:03 PM
    Hope they at least bring the OS to the 9900. Swipe to win!

Fired from my Z10
    07-25-13 07:44 PM
    Because the 9900 was expensive to make with high end materials, if they drop the price they'll make a loss. This new device can earn them a profit.
    It is scary how many times this has been said in various 9720 articles and topics on this site and people still keep coming out with the whole reduce the price of the 9900 idea without considering just why that simply wouldn't work for a company intending to make money on selling hardware.

As far as the is it a bold or curve question, despite the numbering, this is clearly a curve because beyond the numbering tendencies, the real defining characteristics of the two qwerty ranges are the style of the keyboard and the intended pricing.
    07-26-13 03:55 PM
    It is scary how many times this has been said in various 9720 articles and topics on this site and people still keep coming out with the whole reduce the price of the 9900 idea without considering just why that simply wouldn't work for a company intending to make money on selling hardware.

As far as the is it a bold or curve question, despite the numbering, this is clearly a curve because beyond the numbering tendencies, the real defining characteristics of the two qwerty ranges are the style of the keyboard and the intended pricing.
    The Bold 9900/9930 has been out for TWO YEARS. I find it hard to believe that Blackberry couldn't have achieved some manufacturing efficiencies and benefited from some component cost reductions with the Bold 9900/9930 in two years' time.
    07-28-13 11:11 AM
    This upgrade will come to all bb7 devices. I asked berryinsider and they said yeah and it should be here by october
    07-28-13 03:11 PM
    9720 looks terrible. I have no idea if it is a "Bold" or a "Curve"!
    Think of it as a Curvy kind of Bold . A hybrid.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 03:20 PM
    Think of it as a Curvy kind of Bold . A hybrid.

Could be branded as the BlackBerry "Cold"

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 03:34 PM
    Possibly. But that doesn't give one a nice WARM feeling about the phone does it?

Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 03:41 PM
    They should brand it as the first Storm with a physical keyboard as it may get more flack than the Storm 1 and 2 when it's all said and done!

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    07-28-13 07:29 PM
    The Bold 9900/9930 has been out for TWO YEARS. I find it hard to believe that Blackberry couldn't have achieved some manufacturing efficiencies and benefited from some component cost reductions with the Bold 9900/9930 in two years' time.
    Internal components would be cheaper, but neither the casing nor the display to a lesser extent would see significant cost reductions to make it cost-effective to just sell the 9900 for cheaper and posting the same point as a reply in two different topics doesn't make it any less wrong than when other people have previously made that point.
    07-29-13 02:23 AM
    I would imagine BlackBerry conpletists really going for it though hah.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 03:45 AM
    Internal components would be cheaper, but neither the casing nor the display to a lesser extent would see significant cost reductions to make it cost-effective to just sell the 9900 for cheaper and posting the same point as a reply in two different topics doesn't make it any less wrong than when other people have previously made that point.
    In one of the threads (the other one), I was making my first comments about the 9720 and didn't really read other people's comments (except for the fact the 9720 is considered a scaled-down 9900). In the other one (this one), I was responding to your comments (without realizing that you had previously posted comments about the Bold 9900/9930's manufacturing costs).

Personally, I think Blackberry's inability to sufficiently lower the manufacturing costs for the Bold 9900 in two years' time is a minor blunder on the part of Blackberry (albeit one that is somewhat explainable), but that's just my opinion. (I provide some comments on that issue, particularly the irony involved with it, in the other thread.)

BTW, making your statement above ("posting the same point as a reply in two different topics doesn't make it any less wrong than when other people have previously made that point") when you also responded to my comments in the other thread is a little like the pot calling the kettle black.
    07-29-13 02:31 PM
    I think the realization is if BlackBerry could take elements from the 9900/30 OS7 and combine them with elements from Q10 BB10, then just maybe the die hard BlackBerry fans would have a phone to complain about less...

Maybe it's time to consider a slider with track pad only on the keyboard slide out. When the slider is closed, the phone acts just as a standard BB10 touch with swiping. Slide the keyboard/track pad out, voila!

07-31-13 04:25 AM
    I would buy the 9720 over any BB10 device
    08-15-13 11:20 AM
    with $280 price tag ? no i'm not
    08-16-13 08:00 PM
    I would buy the 9720 over any BB10 device
    Really? Care to tell us why? Ever since I got my z10 the 9900 has been given paperweight status. I'm working faster, have access to a lot more of the apps I want, and have not seen an hourglass or message truncated in months. Might also add I finally have a BlackBerry that has a semi decent camera....so I as again, why not?!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:03 AM
    Really? Care to tell us why? Ever since I got my z10 the 9900 has been given paperweight status. I'm working faster, have access to a lot more of the apps I want, and have not seen an hourglass or message truncated in months. Might also add I finally have a BlackBerry that has a semi decent camera....so I as again, why not?!

Posted via CB10
    To save over �1000 over a 2 year contract? True push email? Data compression and cheap roaming? Trackpad? Call/end call buttons? Speed dial shortcuts? Just a few off the top of my head.
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    08-19-13 09:14 AM
    To save over �1000 over a 2 year contract? True push email? Data compression and cheap roaming? Trackpad? Call/end call buttons? Speed dial shortcuts? Just a few off the top of my head.
    I thought the Q was coming down in price- if that's the case you would probably get everything you need and more from that one.

Email on BB10 is just as fast as it was on bbos7. Not really sure why you think it wouldn't be, and if we are talking milliseconds it really doesn't make a difference does it?

Data compression- yes it was better under bbos7, but I haven't seen a message truncated message in months

Not really sure how the 9720 would give you cheaper roaming though? All BlackBerry have wifi calling.

Track pad - honestly this was my initial concern, but I've come to realize that I only needed it because the touch screen and my typing habits were so bad. Between the new keyboard and the learning as you type feature, I don't miss it!

The call / end buttons are a waste of space..think about it; only used when in calls. In bb10 they've anchored a call button to the bottom of the home screen so it's the same thing, just not there in an app. Likewise with the end call which had two functions : return to main home screen- which is now a swipe up, and 2 end a call which again has a huge button a chord to the bottom of the call screen.

Speed dial - might be mistaken but the Q has this and there are dedicated slots at the top of the screen which you can anchor contacts too.

All I would suggest is to try out the new line of devices before committing to old faithful (9720).

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 05:15 AM
    I thought the Q was coming down in price- if that's the case you would probably get everything you need and more from that one.

Email on BB10 is just as fast as it was on bbos7. Not really sure why you think it wouldn't be, and if we are talking milliseconds it really doesn't make a difference does it?

Data compression- yes it was better under bbos7, but I haven't seen a message truncated message in months

Not really sure how the 9720 would give you cheaper roaming though? All BlackBerry have wifi calling.

Track pad - honestly this was my initial concern, but I've come to realize that I only needed it because the touch screen and my typing habits were so bad. Between the new keyboard and the learning as you type feature, I don't miss it!

The call / end buttons are a waste of space..think about it; only used when in calls. In bb10 they've anchored a call button to the bottom of the home screen so it's the same thing, just not there in an app. Likewise with the end call which had two functions : return to main home screen- which is now a swipe up, and 2 end a call which again has a huge button a chord to the bottom of the call screen.

Speed dial - might be mistaken but the Q has this and there are dedicated slots at the top of the screen which you can anchor contacts too.

All I would suggest is to try out the new line of devices before committing to old faithful (9720).

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your suggestion, however, I had a Z10 from launch day courtesy of BB and I'm much happier and productive using my old 9700 right now.

Emails weren't as fast and I suffered badly from the smtp email bug, battery didn't last as long, lack of call buttons and trackpad slowed me way down, data costs doubled and the whole experience was too frustrating.

BBOS is the OS for me.
    08-20-13 10:23 AM
    ill check it out for sure
    08-20-13 12:04 PM
    I think it's just going to be the 9720, no specific name...maybe meaning 7.2 operating system at some point.?

08-20-13 08:34 PM
    I'll take it when I missed BIS that much.
    08-21-13 02:32 AM
    same old taste with new plastic cover....
    itching......really......
    08-22-13 01:24 AM
    No way, got rid of the hourglass since I got the Zed... slow web surfing, small crappy screen, dated os... really, no way! hope someone can find it nice and useful, but not me

Ps: my old Bold 9780 looked nicer

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    08-22-13 04:05 PM
68 123