So I have the 8830 "world edition" - and it turns out that I actually have to go out of the country a few weeks from now. So, will it work automatically, or do I have call Verizon and ask them to do something?
    03-23-09 11:32 AM
    Do you have a SIM card for the unit? I got mine free when I purchased the phone but I gather not everybody gets the card on initial purchase.

The card slips in to a slot in the battery compartment toward the left of the SD card trapdoor.

I think you can check under Options/Advanced/Simcard

Also, rates ($$$) are high, so apparently, you may be able to get their International package on a month-to-month (while some say it is not available that way!!!!!)
    03-23-09 11:59 AM
    No, doesn't seem to have a SIM card. Is that necessary? Why do they market it as "world edition" if I can't use it abroad?
    03-23-09 12:06 PM
    It's a "World Edition" because it has a GSM radio that allows you to use the phone in overseas cell markets. You have to have a SIM card, though, because that's what the phone uses to tell the network who it is. If you don't have a SIM card, contact Verizon and tell them you purchased an 8830WE but you didn't get a SIM card with it, and they should send you one. Alternately, you can unlock the phone (there is a sticky at the top of the forum that explains how to do this) and purchase a SIM card from a local carrier where you are going and use the phone that way. That's the much cheaper route to go!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 12:31 PM
    Just be aware that in order to UNLOCK the Sim Card slot, there needs to be a sim card in the slot (it does NOT have to be verizon's sim card for the process). So either hit a verizon store and get the card and then follow the sticky thread or borrow one from a friend and call verizon to unlock. Once unlocked you can use other sim cards over in Europe.
    03-23-09 01:21 PM
    @F2 - I'm not going to Europe; I have to go to Guatemala. Does that change what Aerophage said upthread?
    03-23-09 02:04 PM
    Nope. Still the same process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:09 PM
    Ok, thanks much. Guess I have to call Verizon then.
    03-23-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD