Lately a friend of mine who grew tired with the "confusing" verizon 8830 and decided to ditch the phone and change carriers leaving this near mint condition bb to waste. Now is there anyway for me to wipe clean the phone to the point where I can take it in to verizon, setup a new number and account info even if the phone is locked and tied to a contract which hasn't been completely paid off. Long shot i know but i thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
    Blair
    03-26-08 09:58 AM
    Click Blackberry button
    Select Options
    Select Security Options
    Select General Settings
    Click Blackberry button
    Select Wipe Handheld
    Follow prompts
    03-26-08 10:22 AM
    will this allow me to register a new number for the phone or will it still be locked to the old account?
    03-26-08 10:26 AM
    This just wipes the phone back to factory new. If you take it to your carrier they can assign the ESN to a new account.
    03-26-08 10:38 AM
    the number is still appearing on the phone and I've talked to verizon reps. who say the full previous balance must be paid in order to switch the phone to a new account. anyway to modify the phone to the point before the verizon people programmed the number?
    03-26-08 10:54 AM
    There's no way around it, as CDMA carriers can lock a device, stopping it from being used by putting a freeze on the ESN. The only way to get the device on your account is to have your friend pay his old account off, or by knowing a VZW employee who is willing to hook you up by putting an old device on his old account which would free up the Curve you're carrying.
    03-26-08 11:04 AM
    Also the only way to completely wipe a CDMA device is to get the MSL from your carrier for that particular phone then push ##786 and your green talk key. It will the prompt for your MSL and wipe everything including his old number from the device, but still won't allow for activation in this situation.
    03-26-08 11:06 AM
    Also the only way to completely wipe a CDMA device is to get the MSL from your carrier for that particular phone then push ##786 and your green talk key. It will the prompt for your MSL and wipe everything including his old number from the device, but still won't allow for activation in this situation.
    Umm yeah, for Verizon on the 8830 it's ##000000 and it gets you into the CDMA programming menu. However, you can change the phone number there all you want. Fact of the matter is, the ESN is still bound to the old account number and name. You cannot change that unless you change it inside VZW's system. When they look up the ESN they will see the old account, even if the phone has been reprogrammed to 000-000-0000.

Thanks for playing.
    03-26-08 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD