I was told that it only works with the new OS. Is that true?
    09-09-08 07:24 PM
    According to Verizon's website, 4.2.2.196 will support 8GB cards. You can use it on your Sprint 8830. Here's the text:
    Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce new software enhancements for
    your BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone. The RIM� OS v4.2.2.196
    (Platform 3.0.0.84) update includes the latest feature improvements for
    your device.
    The latest OS update:
    � Improves location-based services (LBS) and VZ NavigatorSM performance.
    Provides support for 2 GB and 8 GB microSD cards.
    � Displays Chinese carrier names with Chinese characters when connected to a GSM network.
    � Makes upgrading software on the device quicker and easier.
    To download the software update, please visit vzam.net/blackberry.
    09-09-08 09:00 PM
    My 8830 would not use 8 gb with 4.2.2.196 it seemed to work but was very eratic. I now have 4.5.0.77 and it works great.
    09-09-08 09:40 PM
    My 8830 would not use 8 gb with 4.2.2.196 it seemed to work but was very eratic. I now have 4.5.0.77 and it works great.
    That's a good data point. Thank you. I don't have an 8GB card and was going by the Verizon doc...which has been wrong before.
    09-09-08 09:45 PM
    thanks for the responses.
    09-10-08 12:06 AM
    I just my very first BB ever a few days ago, and was looking into purchasing an SD card for it when I stumbled on this site. I was peeking at an 8GB micro card at Newegg, and after reading this thread, I'm not so sure it'll work. So I guess my question is, I'm running software version: 4.2.2.196 through Alltel. Is there a way to download an upgrade to the OS so I can use the 8GB card?

(I'm a complete BB newb. Sorry!)
    09-10-08 09:52 AM
    No need to apologize; this has gotten confusing. Verizon's release notes for v4.2.2.196 explicitly state that one of the new features is support for 8GB microSD cards. Against that, we have mike54's experience that it didn't work well. I don't have one, so I can't test it for myself.

The OS that mike54 is now using is an unsupported, unofficial beta release. OS4.5 has not yet been released for the 8830. It's against forum rules to post links to beta software, or to request it, so you can't get it here. (Don't take that as a reprimand; you had no way of knowing.) I don't recommend new users attempt to install a beta OS because it invalidates your warranty and means you can't return your device to the store for replacement without restoring the official OS, 4.2.2.196 in your case.

To prepare for the eventual release of OS 4.5 for the 8830, I recommend you perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Forums Moderator Reed McLay created it to help you free up memory. He also shows you how to find and install the latest OS for your device. That's how you'll get OS4.5 when it's released. Performing his procedure will teach you a lot about your device and help you free up memory. It's well worth doing.
    09-10-08 11:53 AM
    I have 8830 with the most recent OFFICIAL Verizon OS release and my 8gig card works fine. It may take a bit of time to do what I'd call index or reindex the contents of the card but I was just playing music on it in Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite National Park this week.
    09-13-08 02:24 PM
    I'm using v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.84) and an 8GB, class 6 Adata card. works great as far as I can tell. It's slow, but I have no basis to know if it's any worse than another OS... or just working as intended.

edit: i may have spoke too soon. for some reason I can't see a few mp3 albums on the device/player, but i can see the files when browsing the media card on my PC. also, the tags are not updating after i edit the mp3 files themselves (changed artist or album name etc...).

issue of the bb OS? or maybe i did something different? i'll have to research more...
    Last edited by leftheaded; 09-15-08 at 11:07 PM.
    09-15-08 05:39 PM
    I just emailed bell.ca about it. What could be the reasoning for withholding it. I'm sure RIM's certified it with the 8830, so why wait?

I will accept speculation
    01-02-09 08:23 AM
    I just emailed bell.ca about it. What could be the reasoning for withholding it. I'm sure RIM's certified it with the 8830, so why wait?

I will accept speculation
    Are you asking about 8GB support, or OS4.5. 8GB media cards are supported by OS 4.2.2.196. OS 4.5 has not been officially released by RIM. There are betas available, but no official release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 08:30 AM
    Jeff,

I meant why are they holding off on the release of OS 4.5.

I just checked and noticed i am running 4.2.2.17*. This BB is running against a corporate Enterprise Server and i don't want to mess with it to a point where i would need to approach my IT about 'fixing' it as per a botched upgrade attempt

Also, from the thread below, it would seem that going to 4.2.2.196 may not resolve the problem i have: an 8GB microsdhc (class 4) card which doesn't work with my berry. Have i misunderstood the thread below?

thanks
    01-02-09 01:04 PM
    Jeff,

I just checked and noticed i am running 4.2.2.17*. This BB is running against a corporate Enterprise Server and i don't want to mess with it to a point where i would need to approach my IT about 'fixing' it as per a botched upgrade attempt

Also, from the thread below, it would seem that going to 4.2.2.196 may not resolve the problem i have: an 8GB microsdhc (class 4) card which doesn't work with my berry. Have i misunderstood the thread below?

thanks
    4.2.2.196 will support an 8GB card at class 2 speeds. Class 4 is backwards compatible.
    01-02-09 01:09 PM
    My 8830 came with 4.2.2.176. I'm on a BES as well. I upgraded to 4.2.2.196 without any problem. If you upgrade with your 8830 connected by USB to a computer that's on your Work Network, you won't have to reactivate your BES. If you do the upgrade at home, you will have to get IT to give you a one-time activation password. It's very little work on their part. Of course, you should tell them in advance what you're doing, so they're not surprised if you ask for a reactivation. I don't have an 8GB card, so I can't test the backwards compatibility, but I understand gtstang's post to mean a Class 4 card will work at Class 2 speeds, which would mean 4.2.2.196 would help you.
    01-02-09 01:49 PM
    gtstang462002, does 'class 2 speeds' affect video viewing/general mp3 play? Or does it affect other read/writes to the mem card?
    01-02-09 02:05 PM
    gtstang462002, does 'class 2 speeds' affect video viewing/general mp3 play? Or does it affect other read/writes to the mem card?
    Class 2 is equal to 2mb per second in data transfer. I don't think that you will have an issue with it at that speed.
    01-02-09 03:15 PM
    update: i put on 4.2.2.196 and i still couldn't access the 8gb media card. I then upgraded to 4.5 and now the media card is readable and also formatted at the right size (before it was formatted at half its size). This is good news.

Not so good news: transferring (through USB) ~1.2GB of mp3's takes like 50+ minutes. i guess this is the class 2 (2mb/second) issue?

patience is a virtue so i will wait and verify that this Beta version is stable against this specific Berry. Thanks for everyone's help!!!
    01-02-09 08:38 PM
    I just my very first BB ever a few days ago, and was looking into purchasing an SD card for it when I stumbled on this site. I was peeking at an 8GB micro card at Newegg, and after reading this thread, I'm not so sure it'll work. So I guess my question is, I'm running software version: 4.2.2.196 through Alltel. Is there a way to download an upgrade to the OS so I can use the 8GB card?

(I'm a complete BB newb. Sorry!)

wow this is exactly like me, except I got my 8830WE from Alltel 2 weeks ago,
    They tried to sell me the 2GB Micro for $24 well I knew I could do better so I bought the 8GB from Newegg for under $20 , Now it might not work ?
    Just what wont it do ?
    01-03-09 12:40 AM
    Jeff,

thanks
    What is a Class 4 ?

It looks like I am running 4.2.2.123
    01-03-09 12:47 AM
    wow this is exactly like me, except I got my 8830WE from Alltel 2 weeks ago,
    They tried to sell me the 2GB Micro for $24 well I knew I could do better so I bought the 8GB from Newegg for under $20 , Now it might not work ?
    Just what wont it do ?
    What is a Class 4 ?

It looks like I am running 4.2.2.123
    Check out the microSD Cards link in my sig for all the technical details about card classes. Class refers to transfer speed.

Your OS supports up to 4GB cards. You can use your 8GB card, but the OS will only see 4GB of it. There are two ways around that. One, upgrade your OS to 4.2.2.196, which is the latest officially released OS for the 8830. It supports 8GB operation, although a few people have reported problems with it. You can also put your microSD card in an adapter and format it to 8GB in your PC using FAT32. Then put the card back in your 8830 and you can use the full 8GB, minus the space used for formatting. An 8GB unformatted card formats to 7.6GB usable.

Finally, there are beta OS versions of OS4.5 for the 8830. I don't recommend you install a beta unless you know how to recover and restore your original OS in the event you have problems. Beta software is not supported by your Customer Service Reps, but you can find many people here who use it and can help you.
    01-03-09 09:42 AM
    Your OS supports up to 4GB cards. You can use your 8GB card, but the OS will only see 4GB of it. There are two ways around that. One, upgrade your OS to 4.2.2.196, which is the latest officially released OS for the 8830.

JeffH

Thanks for the response , I have a very stupid question, can and how do I update to the current version , can it be done directly to the 8830 ?
    01-03-09 12:15 PM
    The easiest way for you to upgrade to .196 is if Alltel offers it from their website. Download the exe file to your PC and double-click the exe file to install the OS on your PC. Then download CrackMem from the link in my sig and use it to modify and install the OS.

If Alltel doesn't offer 4.2.2.196, you will have to get it from another site. The Verizon site requires a Verizon phone number. I don't know about Sprint. You can also probably download it directly from Rim. Here's the Rim site: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Finally, I think I remember seeing in another thread that you are using a Mac. If so, you'll have to borrow a friend's PC for the OS install. You can't do that from a Mac.
    01-03-09 01:18 PM
    The easiest way for you to upgrade to .196 is if Alltel offers it from their website. Download the exe file to your PC and double-click the exe file to install the OS on your PC. Then download CrackMem from the link in my sig and use it to modify and install the OS.

If Alltel doesn't offer 4.2.2.196, you will have to get it from another site. The Verizon site requires a Verizon phone number. I don't know about Sprint. You can also probably download it directly from Rim. Here's the Rim site:

Finally, I think I remember seeing in another thread that you are using a Mac. If so, you'll have to borrow a friend's PC for the OS install. You can't do that from a Mac.

This is what I am showing from Blackberry
    And yes I can use a friends PC

Software For BlackBerry 8830 (TM)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.353 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.353
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.196
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.81
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel353_PL3.0.0.81_A4.2.2.196_Allt el.exe
    * File size: 88.84MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.240 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.240
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.123
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.64
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel240_PL3.0.0.64_A4.2.2.123_Allt el.exe
    * File size: 70.01MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
    01-03-09 02:16 PM

If Alltel doesn't offer 4.2.2.196, you will have to get it from another site. The Verizon site requires a Verizon phone number. I don't know about Sprint. You can also probably download it directly from Rim. Here's the Rim site:

I am doing it now.
    01-03-09 02:54 PM
    This is what I am showing from Blackberry
    And yes I can use a friends PC

Software For BlackBerry 8830 (TM)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.353 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.353
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.196
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.81
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel353_PL3.0.0.81_A4.2.2.196_Allt el.exe
    * File size: 88.84MB

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.240 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.240
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.123
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.64
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel240_PL3.0.0.64_A4.2.2.123_Allt el.exe
    * File size: 70.01MB

I am doing it now.
    Outstanding. The package including 4.2.2.196 is the one you want. Follow Pete's instructions in CrackMem and you should have no problem. You will have to install Desktop Manager and CrackMem on your friend's PC, but they will not hurt his PC in any way.
    01-03-09 03:22 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD