got it from AT&T today. Tried to search for WiFi networks and "no networks found"

I know there are a few in the area as my laptop is connected to one. Anyone else have the same issue?
    09-24-07 04:35 PM
    It connects to an unencrypyted 802.11, but I had trouble connecting over WPA. After 2 hours with ATT, and escalted 1.5 hour call with RIM, it turns out that various encryption types are not YET supported (WPA being one of them). I'm not going to switch my network back to WEP to test this, I'm just going to wait for the fix...

It's fun being on the cutting edge eh!? This is my first blackberry, man it's a tough adjustment from 15 years of palm/treo use.
    09-24-07 06:48 PM
    I have also found that the WiFi antenna in my 8320 does not pick up the signal nearly as well as my laptop. I think that's just a limitation of the device.
    09-24-07 07:30 PM
    Does one take precedent over the other? Like if your using a cell signal and turn on wifi, will it automatically connect to wifi and all calls will be made through wifi?
    09-25-07 05:15 PM
    The wifi does work on WPA. All the wireless networks I set up use WPA-PSK encryption. What the blackberry doesn't like is having a network initially setup with a WEP profile and then changing it on the BB to WPA. I found it still tries WEP. You have to delete the profile and add it again. But it definately does support WPA.

sniffs : It has a setting on it to route all data over wi-fi if it's available. In Options goto Mobile Network and set Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Preferred.
    09-26-07 02:42 AM
    To link 8820 to WPA:

1. Choose PSK
    2. Change from a/b/g to b/g

Worked for me.
    10-16-07 09:17 AM
    Currently on Sprint. Either want a Pearl or 8820. 8820 to be able to use Wi-Fi. Can only buy 8820 on AT&T right now. Should I change service providers to get the Wi-Fi? Just gotten interested in blackberries - does having Wi-Fi mean that phone calls are made over Wi-Fi (that's what I understand from what I have read, but. . . ?)? Can I get an 8820 from AT&T without a data/blackberry plan (only a phone plan) and just connect using the Wi-Fi?
    10-16-07 11:28 PM
    May depend on your router. I have a DLINK Wireless-N Xtreme and initially it didn't work when I had WPA mode in "Auto (WPA or WPA2)." When I changed it to WPA only it connected right up.
    10-18-07 04:45 PM
    Routing all calls over wireless. When I go to Mobile Network under settingsptions, it doesn't let me choose to route all calls over wifi. I even turned off the AT&T network and tried to make a call through my wifi at home (that I am connected to w/ WPA) and it said: "Radio is turned off. Restore Connections/Cancel."
    10-18-07 04:53 PM
    Routing all calls over wireless. When I go to Mobile Network under settingsptions, it doesn't let me choose to route all calls over wifi. I even turned off the AT&T network and tried to make a call through my wifi at home (that I am connected to w/ WPA) and it said: "Radio is turned off. Restore Connections/Cancel."
    Based on what I've read and been told, ATT does not support UMA. This feature is supported by T-Mobile on the Curve. This is not supported by ATT. I had this same question and after looking at T-Mobile's curve, thought that ATT would support this as well. After more reading, and a visit to a store, I learned this was a T-Mobile only feature.
    Last edited by shadowsports; 10-18-07 at 11:30 PM.
    10-18-07 10:41 PM
    I have the 8820 and have no problem connecting with any wifi router. I have 4 wifi routers at home running a mix of WPA-PSK and WPA2 (Netgear FWAG114, Netgear WG302, Netgear FVG318 and a new Verizon wireless router connected to fios, and it will connect with all of them. At my work it connects to all available connections.
    I must be lucky as I have read elsewhere some 8820's not connecting, especially if WPA is active.
    10-19-07 11:56 AM
    Based on what I've read and been told, ATT does not support UMA. This feature is supported by T-Mobile on the Curve. This is not supported by ATT. I had this same question and after looking at T-Mobile's curve, thought that ATT would support this as well. After more reading, and a visit to a store, I learned this was a T-Mobile only feature.
    If I unlocked the phone, could I use UMA while still maintaining my AT&T service for use out of wi-fi reception?
    10-19-07 12:56 PM
    Hi M1styrX,
    Unlocked device = UMA support yes. Network support no. Although an unlocked device will support UMA, AT&T does not support this feature on their network from what I've been told.
    10-21-07 02:56 AM
    Hi to everyone
    I just have an unlocked 8820 and tried to connect to wifi router at home and it doesnt work. When i tried to connect it the device turned off and then itfelf turned on. I don't know how to connect it, please i need help!!!!
    12-17-07 01:25 AM
    What kind of router do you have? N type routers have been known to cause this.
    12-17-07 01:57 AM
    Hey,

I have a home Wi-Fi network setup and have tried to use this to no avail. The Wi-Fi symbol shows as yellow in the 'Manage Connections' facility, and the Wi-Fi logo shows as light blue on the desktop rather than black. Is there something I am missing? My network configuration uses a PSK and WPA security configuration. I have set up a profile in my device, but there is still limited functionality. My router is a DrayTek Vigor 2800VG.

Thanks
    12-19-07 04:20 PM
    This is a frustration for me as well. I am able to connect to my home network via an Airport Extreme wifi w/WEP encryption. I have had less success w/others and it seems to be related to my inability to hit the respective sites login page. When I set up the network, and select the wifi login it goes to the browser and connects via the mobile network vs. wifi. It doesn't seem to matter how long I wait either. HELP!!!!
    12-28-07 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD