My 8830 is now falling apart, after being of great service for more than 2 years. I am with Verizon. I cannot figure out which blackberry to go to. Here is my must-have list:

- Actual keyboard (I cannot type on a virtual keyboard on a touch screen).
    - Worldwide coverage. i.e. at least as much coverage as with my current 8830+SIM card
    - WiFi

Basically I am looking for something similar to 8830, but with WiFi being the only added feature.

I am stumped and not able to find this combination. Any ideas?

Thanks much!!
    03-13-10 06:23 PM
    Sounds like you're looking for a Tour.
    03-13-10 08:06 PM
    As of now, the Tour is your most compatible with your likings. It doesn't have WiFi though.
    The Tour or Bold 2, whatever they call it now, will have WiFi plus world capabilities but I think there estimating a May release date.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 03-13-10 at 08:22 PM.
    03-13-10 08:18 PM
    You sir need to buy another 8830 WE off eBay. I got a Tour after my WE and already switched back. Good luck typing on that tiny keyboard. Wi-Fi is overrated... Unless you actually leave the country of course. But then you still can't get email or BBM on wi-fi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 11:40 AM
    You sir need to buy another 8830 WE off eBay. I got a Tour after my WE and already switched back. Good luck typing on that tiny keyboard. Wi-Fi is overrated... Unless you actually leave the country of course. But then you still can't get email or BBM on wi-fi.

So, is Tour's keyboard not as good as 8830? That would be a bummer!

I do travel international once or twice a year. So, being able to get email on my blackberry while traveling is important.

I would seriously consider your idea of just getting another 8830. But isn't the memory too low at this point in 8830 for all the apps that are finally getting available on blackberries?

All: Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions so far.
    03-14-10 01:29 PM
    Keyboards are a highly personal preference. I went from a 7250 to an 8830 and had a hard time adjusting to the 8830 keyboard. Then I replaced my 8830 with a 9630 and had no problem with the adjustment. You should try a Tour keyboard to see for yourself. It is different from the 8830.
    03-14-10 04:36 PM
    jonline, I'm in the same boat. My contract expired yesterday with verizon and I'm not sure what to get. 3G would be nice. Having a phone people can hear me on too would be OK.

I guess I could wait until May and the Tour 2 or whatever they're calling it comes out.
    03-14-10 05:03 PM
    I would like to keep my 8830 as well, but the limited memory is a problem with all the new apps. I get so jealous of friends who have such awesome apps, that I cannot use on my phone.
    My 8830 has a broken charging interface so I have to use two phones to charge my batteries and it its getting a tad annoying
    03-15-10 03:55 PM
    I would like to keep my 8830 as well, but the limited memory is a problem with all the new apps. I get so jealous of friends who have such awesome apps, that I cannot use on my phone.
    My 8830 has a broken charging interface so I have to use two phones to charge my batteries and it its getting a tad annoying
    I am sure there a *lot* of people in this boat. I would think that 8830 users represent a lucrative market for Blackberry/Verizon. They should come up with a solution sooner than later - before we start considering a non-Blackberry platform.
    03-16-10 05:27 PM
    I am sure there a *lot* of people in this boat. I would think that 8830 users represent a lucrative market for Blackberry/Verizon. They should come up with a solution sooner than later - before we start considering a non-Blackberry platform.
    RIM's replacement for the 8830 was / is the 9630, in both camera and non-camera versions. Unfortunately the Tour had some fairly significant problems when it was first introduced. Those have mostly been addressed by OS 4.7.1.61 and newer manufacturing releases. Unfortunately new BlackBerry devices lately all seem to come with issues. The Tour 2 likely will be no exception.
    03-16-10 08:03 PM
    I just faced the same issue. My trusty 8830 was due for replacement at work. I tried a Storm2, but hated it. Then I got a Tour. So far it has been great for me and I have had no trouble transitioning. I had the Wifi on the Storm2, and can say that I can live without it.
    03-16-10 09:20 PM
    Yeah, I think that the Tour is a great device when it comes to memory and apps, however, I never really have been into that kind of stuff. I guess you could say the 8830 was truly made for people like me. It is no BS and looks extremely professional. I love what the WE says about me and I don't think I could get into that many apps anyway. I cleaned up my OS and added a few apps to help track my customers, but other than that I don't have anything extra installed. It's reliable and gets the e-mail done right. Just the way I like it.

03-19-10 10:42 PM
    Anyone has an update/news/rumor? May is almost here, and my 8830 is really on its last legs...
    04-23-10 12:41 PM
    Tour 2 should be out in May...won't have track ball issues. I would hold out for that one.
    04-23-10 07:34 PM
    Same boat for me, my second 8830 is on last leg. I love it but need WiFi because rural area where I live.

I'm with Sprint so which device has the wifi? I can't remember and am too lazy this Monday AM to research it.

Work may switch us to Sprint/iPhone and I don't think I want to!
    04-26-10 07:49 AM
    These are just terrible phones
    04-28-10 09:03 PM

- Actual keyboard (I cannot type on a virtual keyboard on a touch screen).
    - Worldwide coverage. i.e. at least as much coverage as with my current 8830+SIM card
    - WiFi

Thanks much!!
    Well 9650 is the answer. It has all of above and more.

I did like the look and feel of 8830 better. But I am assuming 9650 will eventually grow on me.
    06-15-10 01:03 AM
    I do travel international once or twice a year.
    If it was me, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor, especially if it is only a few days at a time. Those e-mails will be there when you get back. Now if you're gone for a month or two at a time, that's a different story.

06-19-10 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD