Ok, here's a list of all the bugs and glitches I've found on the 8830 from Verizon. I love it how R&D didn't seem to find any of these prior to release. Idiots I say, idiots...

10) Call quality for other party sucks. The phone picks up too much background noise and the other person can't hear you speak.
    This is my biggest complaint about the 8830...call quality, and it's the first I've ever experienced using BB's. My 8703e was perfect, but I wanted the voice dialling option and MicroSD card. However, call quality is something that with RIM we have taken for granted, but they dropped the ball with the Curve and 8830. I believe the problem lies with the noice cancellation feature.

I just called my Carrier and complained....and tech support simply said he'd send me a new one to make sure it I did not have a defective unit, but I read all over where 8830 and 8300 Users are all having problems with call quality.
    07-26-07 05:29 PM
    Thank you for this thread and for this very useful crackberry forum. I am going to purchase my first BB within the next 3 weeks, keyed to my VZW contract. I have really liked the 8830 capabilities and, of course, it is new and very cool. But then there are the uniquely crippled features (like GPS) on the VZW network. Moreover, there is such an impressive list of 8830 glitches owing to some combination of RIM and the carriers.

The only 8830 glitch that I have read about elsewhere but not seen in this list is a complaint by some that the keyboard lighting can be pretty dim and uneven -- presumably due to the uneven thicknesses of the translucent plastic keys.

In conclusion, I get the feeling that buying an 8830 is an act of the "early adopter" -- a term I think is a euphemism for "indentured BETA tester." I PASS.

As I looked carefully at the feature comparison between the 8830 and the 8703e, I think I can live without the unique 8830 features -- my travels to GSM-land are infrequent and I already have a video iPod.

So I am going with the 8703e.

Thank you, again, for this forum. I will not be a stranger.
    07-29-07 09:34 AM
    I just realized that when you open a SMS and go to the menu, it has two close butons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-07 11:56 AM
    Ok, here's a list of all the bugs and glitches I've found on the 8830 from Verizon. I love it how R&D didn't seem to find any of these prior to release. Idiots I say, idiots...

snip

8) Bluetooth stereo headphones don't work. The phone currently does not support "stereo bluetooth" profile.

snip

I'm sure I'll find more....
    With the new OS is anyone using BT headphones. Are the Motorola ones with the phone features good, and working well with the 8830? Help me give my iShuffle a rest
    08-09-07 09:51 PM
    The call quality issue is the biggest for me. Having to go into completely quiet rooms just to make a call is absurd. When I called verizon about it, they just offered to switch the unit out. Maybe soon they will get the hint that it is happening all over the place.
    08-10-07 08:15 AM
    I read all these messages about poor call quality and I must be lucky. I was on the phone on my BB yesterday - in my convertible travelling down the highway at 70mph with no issues at all.

Ramona
    .... who is still trying to figure out all the functionallity ... slowly but surely!
    08-10-07 10:39 AM
    Does anyone know if this call quality issue is something that is likely to be fixed by a later patch? I don't know the technology behind fixing something like this...

I thought about trading it in, but my only other options (per VZ new-every-two) is the Motorola Q, an older blackberry, and the Treo, none of which I'm crazy about. As long as I know that EVENTUALLY the background noise issue will be fixed I'd feel a lot better.
    08-10-07 11:25 AM
    I have never had a call quality issue and got the phone on the day of release. The patch fixed the call collision problem.
    08-10-07 11:55 AM
    make sure your volume level is turned up externally and also within the respective "profile" settings.

Then go to profiles > advanced... > and proceed to highlight (do not select) a particular profile of your choice i.e. loud. FYI the profile selected has no effect on this fix. Then hit the menu button and select "show tunes" and then select "preloaded ringtones". click on any tune and on the bottom right hand corner will be a volume slide. Turn this up as loud as possible with the 8830's external volume buttons. this will raise the amplification of all the ringtones within the folder.

Hope this helps as I can't imagine anyone wanting their phone any louder than this....especially with the calypso song! LOL
    I certainly worked for me! Thanks for the tip
    08-10-07 01:31 PM
    When I am talking and get a call on the second line, sometimes after I switch to the second call the first call gets dropped and then the phone is stuck thinking it is still connected to the first caller.

Every time I try to make a call, the only option is to conference the person, but it won't even do that.

The only way to get it "Un-Confused" is to pull the battery.

Anyone else see this..
    Kinda Sorta. The first time it happened I thought it was just me. Then it happened again...and again...repeat. If I'm attempting to make a call that has yet to connect and a 2nd call comes in, forget about trying to answer it b/c the 8830 can't seem to figure out who's on first and what's on 2nd!

I've not experienced the call waiting issue if I'm on a call and 'click over' to answer another call, complete that call and resume my first one as others have. This seems to function as designed.

I have a feeling the route cause of this issue has to do with the really slick "conference in" feature. Definitely a bug in RIM's software fo sho.
    08-10-07 01:41 PM
    I talked to Verizon about the call waiting/conference issue. They said that it is a Blackberry software glitch. They are working on a fix, so in the meantime just deal. Unbelievable!
    Actually I dont think its a glitch its a limitation of the CDMA network.
    I've been a longtime GSM user on Tmobile and switched to Verizon to the 700P which im ready to ditch for a 8830 and I have the EXACT same thing with the Treo 700P. After loads of research its a CDMA issue versus a GSM issue. GSM handles flip flopping between two calls easy and it works! *gasp* So just to clear the air on this issue.
    08-15-07 10:31 PM
    Btw can't macs meulate programs to make them think its windows like linux has wine. Just a thought, also intel macs can run windows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-07 10:59 PM
    A general question to the 8830 Community. IS this phone worth it. I spent quite alot of time reading through these forums and this thread. I have a work issued BB 7520 which has been unbelievably ROCK SOLID compared to my crappy **** Treo 700p w/ lagging,freezing,reboots, poor BT and now horrible data connection with the 'upgrade' from palm. I've been a long time palm user for 7 years. Since I have a Treo and BB side by side in my daily life I figure migrating from a 700P to a 8830 would make sense since they both do the same thing but the one thing im looking for is STABILITY.. I am not a fan of outlook but I know it well enough for it to do my contact mgmt.

Again I do use a 7520 with no issues.. so I'm NOT new to a BB. I have access to 8830's via work which are locked down(of course). I'm gonna play w/ one tomorrow to see if it'll work for me.

So any wise words of wisdom?
    Thx
    08-15-07 11:34 PM
    I have had my 8830 w/Verizon (unlocked) for a few weeks (with the latest software release) and have not experienced any of the problems listed in this thread (not counting conference called which I have not tried). Not saying that there aren't problems but I am perfectly happy with mine. Being able to use it overseas was my first priority and I find it flawless for that task.

I would by one again for sure.
    08-16-07 09:09 AM
    My ONLY complaint (and it's a big one) is the call quality/background noise issue. But it sounds like many people don't experience this, and many do. I would give it a shot and if you don't notice any call quality issues, you should be golden. There's no software lag or rebooting, e-mail is great, fast internet... Ringtone volume can be fixed by editing the volume of the mp3s you use, and the "no camera" thing isn't really a big deal.

If you're a former Palm user then the trackball might take getting used to.
    08-16-07 09:29 AM
    Before this newest update I had no problems with the background noise issues, but all of a sudden my friends are telling me it's even worse than before.
    08-16-07 11:33 AM
    My ONLY complaint (and it's a big one) is the call quality/background noise issue. But it sounds like many people don't experience this, and many do. I would give it a shot and if you don't notice any call quality issues, you should be golden. There's no software lag or rebooting, e-mail is great, fast internet... Ringtone volume can be fixed by editing the volume of the mp3s you use, and the "no camera" thing isn't really a big deal.

If you're a former Palm user then the trackball might take getting used to.

Well I played with one this morning at my work and Yes I can get use to the trackball. As a longtime Palm User I got my 1st BB in Late 2005 and that was a helluva learning curve. But now after using it and getting use to the interface the 8830 will be a easier transition. I used my transflash card this morning and did some testing of ringtones/mp3/wavs/pics and tested bluetooth. Worked pretty decently. I'm much more excited than ever. The no camera thing is a non issue since I carry one w/ me and the 700P camera sucks in comparison. Hoping to ditch the Palm soon.

Last few questions: Im googling but if anyone knows of any good software for this i'd appreciate any input:

Is there a piece of software to backup the contacts/memos/settings/software/etc on the Blackberry to the SD card? Given the spookiness of the Treo I figure this is a good prudent piece of software to use.

Thanks to all
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 08-16-07 at 12:32 PM. Reason: edited for Spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    08-16-07 12:28 PM
    The patch fixed the call collision problem I was having. No more pulling batteries. But the ringer volume issue still needs to be addressed. I'll be calling verizon and RIM to lodge complaints and hope they address the issue in the next patch. Love the 8830 other than that. Two thumbs up!
    08-17-07 11:40 AM
    OK peoples. I emailed RIM help ([email protected]) and they told me to contact VZW about these issues. I then talked to VZW tech support. The rep (Dave) was very helpful, but neither him nor his supervisor knew how to fix the problem.

Then, he put me on with a RIM tech support rep. UH OH...HERE WE GO...the old OEM vs. Provider runaround...or so I thought.

The RIM support rep (Jason) spoke with his supervisor about both issues. They say that these issues are known and are currently with their development team. Both of these issues will be fixed with the next software update. They have no ETR for this patch, so keep an eye out for it at

vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Hang in there...these issues will be fixed soon!
    Last edited by TreyStyles; 08-17-07 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos
    08-17-07 02:24 PM
    The RIM support rep (Jason) spoke with his supervisor about both issues. They say that these issues are known and are currently with their development team. Both of these issues will be fixed with the next software update. They have no ETR for this patch, so keep an eye out for it at

vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Hang in there...these issues will be fixed soon!
    Fixing the background noise and the ring volume will be cool....

HH
    08-22-07 02:18 PM
    I recently made the switch from a Sprint Treo to a BlackBerry 8830 and I'm not happy. I've had major problems the most annoying is what Verizon calls "call collision" when the call is dropped or ends I am unable to dial out again until I reset the phone. Also, the sound is horrible outside, must pick up a lot of ambient noise as my callers have a hard time hearing me. Not to mention software updates are not compatible with Macs. I love the reliable e-mail delivery but the bugs are driving me crazy! Any suggestions for alternative devices?
    08-27-07 04:18 PM
    I just updated to the 4.2x software for desktop and handheld. I noticed that I can't raise the ringer volume like I could prior to the upgrade (as instructed in an earlier post). Is this what I should expect until another "upgrade" is available? Anyone know why they would take away this capability with the upgrade?
    08-29-07 09:03 PM
    sounds like a piece of dung phone.
    09-05-07 06:56 AM
    I recently made the switch from a Sprint Treo to a BlackBerry 8830 and I'm not happy. I've had major problems the most annoying is what Verizon calls "call collision" when the call is dropped or ends I am unable to dial out again until I reset the phone. Also, the sound is horrible outside, must pick up a lot of ambient noise as my callers have a hard time hearing me. Not to mention software updates are not compatible with Macs. I love the reliable e-mail delivery but the bugs are driving me crazy! Any suggestions for alternative devices?
    tonyam, read my post on page 7 of this thread.
    09-05-07 01:02 PM
    sounds like a piece of dung phone.
    It's not a phone...it's a BlackBerry. And it kicks axe!
    09-05-07 01:04 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD