After, many hours logged this weekend on threads and on the phone (and in the store) with Verizon I found there is NO support for Mac on the new Blackberry 8830, nor is there any to look forward to in the near future. Currently, there seems to be no way to connect your mac with the media section of the phone so don't think you'll be getting any tunes of pics on there soon.

It's too bad, because the phone is really cool but with the whole quiet ringer issue and lack of mac support, it looks like you shoudn't get one unless you are a PC user.

If I'm wrong, about this, please tell me cause at this point I'm desperate to figure it out or I'm just gonna take it back...
    Thanks!
    06-25-07 06:51 PM
    I spoke to some folks from RIM today and they have fixed the volume issue for Verizon and will be in the next OS they release. No ETA however. The next OS will most likely have VZNavigator as well with GPS support. No word as to whether GPS support will only be available for that app only however.
    07-10-07 11:50 AM
    Something I've done to help fix the volume problem is that when I'm editing ringtones for my phone, I use (Create-Ringtone) and they give you a way to amp your mp3 up to 2x it's previous volume...give that a shot...they give you a 15-day trial or something like that...
    07-11-07 09:05 AM
    There are a lot of posts on various forums about the 8830 low ring volume and weak vibration. I don't know of any work around for the vibrate problem but the ring volume can be solved by increasing the gain on the mp3 ringtone file. I used Audacity to crank up my favorite ringtone and now my ringer volume is louder than my old Motorola Q was. Simple fix took me less than 10 minutes which included finding and downloading Audacity which is a free program.

Ok..I want to juice up my ringtones. I have Audacity, but I really don't have any idea of how to retrieve the ringtone from the phone, apply the juice and cram it back in the little shiney bugger!

I connected the phone and took a look around with the Media manager. It shows the directories for the ringtones on the device memory, but no files are present.

I would appreciate a bit of help in this regard.

Thanks
    07-11-07 05:28 PM
    You will not find any of the preloaded ringtones in the ringtone directory. The only ringtones that will remain and be viewable in that directory are the ones you load on the phone.
    07-12-07 10:46 AM
    You will not find any of the preloaded ringtones in the ringtone directory. The only ringtones that will remain and be viewable in that directory are the ones you load on the phone.
    Thanks...I finally figured that out. So, I went out and found two ringtones. Loaded them into the Blackberry. Listened to them. Then I loaded them into Audacity and pumped them up a bit, saved them with a slightly different name. and then loaded them back into the blackberry.

I then compared the volume of the two files. Despite the amplification in Audacity both sounded exactly the same.

I really hope the powers that be will get this irritation fixed soon. I hope they will fix all shortcomings of this potentially great device.
    07-12-07 12:37 PM
    how do you change 'in holster' and 'out of holster' settings? and is there anyway to make emails one ringtone and phone calls another?
    07-12-07 11:38 PM
    So ive been downloading and using some mp3 ringtones from mobile41.com
    I increased the mp3 file +21dB on audacity and its was ****ing loud in the music player but i havnt heard it as my ringtone volume yet because its to late and my house phone is dead. What increase have you guys been using?
    07-13-07 03:31 AM
    Thanks...I finally figured that out. So, I went out and found two ringtones. Loaded them into the Blackberry. Listened to them. Then I loaded them into Audacity and pumped them up a bit, saved them with a slightly different name. and then loaded them back into the blackberry.

I then compared the volume of the two files. Despite the amplification in Audacity both sounded exactly the same.

I really hope the powers that be will get this irritation fixed soon. I hope they will fix all shortcomings of this potentially great device.
    You must not have cranked up the gain enough in Audacity. I did it and increased the volumn to just below were my cheap desktop speakers began to distort and when I loaded them on my phone they were plenty load enough.
    07-13-07 09:59 PM
    Well, I did crank it up a lot, but it was distorted on my PC so I backed it down. I did +3db which should be twice a loud and I could still tell no difference in the two ringtones when playing them on my phone.

In all of this I did find a doorbell ringtone that, while not really louder, it is easier to hear by a long shot.

This is just ANOTHER quirk that RIM needs to GET ON THE STICK and fix. I am two months into this device and I cannot believe that RIM has done NOTHING about the numerous serious problems.
    07-14-07 11:28 PM
    My 8830 is driving me nuts with missed calls due to low ringer volume and the backgr ound noise issue when I am talking. Yeah, its a cool looking device with a lot of potential, but .... its an absolutley CRAP phone:
    >Low ring volume
    >Weak vibe
    >Speaker background noise
    >Cute blue keys you can't read
    I have taken this 8830 to Hong Kong, Singapore, and the UK and had nothing but trouble with the data connection in all 3 locales. Spent hours on the phone with their Global Support - Tier 1 is useless, but I will say Tier 2 support was excellent. But, at these rates YOU SHOULD NOT NEED THEM.
    At my company, I have advised at least 6 brother mgrs to STAY AWAY from VZW and 8830.
    VZW and RIM need to get serious about fixing this stuff right now.

Added: I have been a big domestic VZW and CDMA booster for years and have moved my entire team onto VZW. I just feel so damned betrayed by these issues that never should have made it past Week 1 Beta testing. What a disappointment.
    Last edited by JT8D-217; 07-16-07 at 09:36 PM.
    07-16-07 09:33 PM
    There is a software issie. I had to go back to alltel 4 times to get them to call tech support. I did not give up. They are working on a upgrade. They said "soon". What that means, I don't know. Is it too much to ask a phone to ring?
    09-11-07 11:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD