I have Verizon's data plan which provides excellent email coverage overseas, plus use of the Browser. But, and calls both local, and certainly international while not in the U.S. are extremely expensive. So, I'm looking for alternatives. I already use a separate unlocked GSM phone with local SIM cards, but for the BB, would the VOIP approach work? I see Raketu, EQO, Gizmo, Jajah and others out there. They seem to use the Browser to creat two-way incoming calls at low prices, but it seems like I would still be in a local roaming situation with charges from Verizon. A total VOIP approach via the data network would be better, though I'm sure Verizon wouldn't like it. I really don't fully understand this so I'm looking for comments and experiences. Also, I want to avoid surprise charges from Verizon and not just take a chance on putting money into one of these VIOP service accounts. Thank you.
    10-08-08 08:18 AM
    No replies for what I would have thought to be a hot topic - eliminating some of Verizon's extremely expensive overseas calling rates! Anyway, my research to date is that the services I previously listed simply substitute local incoming calls for what would have been international outgoing calls. This means that any international roaming charges [from outside the U.S.] apply plus the rate for the incoming local call. Add to that the per-minute charge from the service, be it Gismo, Raketu, EQO, Jajah or similar. With all of these, your data service enables the call-back to your phone but is not involved in the vocal call itself at the local level. Still, this brings some savings as the international portion of the call is over the one of the above networks, plus the call-back number could be to a local landline phone with no incoming charge.

There are actual VOIP services such as "Fring" and others which use a Wi-Fi or GPRS [less effectively] connection for the actual voice call, but from what I can tell, Blackberry will not support these. The more robust processors of Simbian or Windows Mobile phones [and IPhone] can do this. Any comments?

Transmit
    10-12-08 01:27 PM
    Many (but not all) domestic US and international carriers restrict the use of VoIP in their customer agreements. In addition they either block the IP ports used by the various VoIP software or otherwise restrict it's use. Also keep in mind using VoIP will eat up a lot of data in a hurry so you need to be aware of your data caps.

Another solution would be to ask VZW to unlock your BB 8830 and install prepaid or local SIM cards when traveling. If you are a customer in good standing for about 90 days and your bill is current they will do this for free. Consult some of the pinned threads on this forum for more information. I did it and it worked fine on a recent trip to China where I used both the standard VZW/Vodaphone SIM and a local prepaid SIM. You do need a SIM to preform the unlocking, again see the pinned threads for more info. BTW I did not use the data feature with my prepaid SIM as the one I had did not include that, I used the VZW global data plan which you can turn on and off at will on a prorated basis with a phone call.

None of the VZW BB's support WiFi and the current time, not sure why this is as, some other VZW smartphones do offer WiFi. Other carriers do offer BB's with WiFi so presumably you could run a VoIP app on one of those when in a WiFi area.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by pete1118; 10-12-08 at 02:22 PM.
    10-12-08 02:16 PM
    There is no true VOIP client for Blackberry. All these progs you find that say they do VOIP simply utilize a data connection to get a remote network to dial the long distance number, then call you back and connect you to that number, but the connection to you is still voice, so while you're saving the long distance, you've not saving the minutes. A true VOIP software on a phone would work seamlessly over the data connection and not use voice. At the moment, to my knowledge, there's been no development of such software that would run on a Blackberry.
    10-12-08 02:32 PM
    Its mainly because GPRS and EDGE simply cannot support the amount of data that a VoIP call would generate, so instead or irate customers cursing them the developers have found a smart workaround. Maybe on 3G with reliable speeds this will be possible. And we will see many more VoIP applications and even messengers support voice chat. Thereby eliminating the need for voice minutes.
    10-13-08 08:47 AM
    Thanks for everyone's replies. Good comments all around. Unlocking the BB and installing a local SIM is a good idea. Actually, I do that now with a separate unlocked GSM phone. I've used some cheap calling cards with that phone, so that is one solution. On the BB, I may try one of the call-back schemes as that could save money in some instances. Thanks again.
    10-13-08 04:32 PM
    Its mainly because GPRS and EDGE simply cannot support the amount of data that a VoIP call would generate, so instead or irate customers cursing them the developers have found a smart workaround..
    That's not correct. T-Mobile uses UMA over WiFi on their Blackberries and it works just fine. That's a form of VOIP.
    10-13-08 04:45 PM
    That's not correct. T-Mobile uses UMA over WiFi on their Blackberries and it works just fine. That's a form of VOIP.
    I was talking about BIS/BES. And I am sure WiFi isnt everywhere.
    10-14-08 09:13 AM
    And I am sure WiFi isnt everywhere.
    Maybe in your country.

Actually it works really well. At the coffee house, McDonalds, etc. Free calls baby.
    10-14-08 09:23 AM
    If you look on the Fring website here:
    fring mobile voip - make free mobile calls and IM to other fringsters, Skype, Google Talk, MSN, SIP, Twitter, AIM & Yahoo! buddies

you will see they claim that a 60 minute VoIP call uses just 8MB of data.

That's really nothing!

133 Kb for a minute! Nothing!

But it's not available for the BB

Because they claim the BB can't record audio at the same time as playing...
    11-06-08 04:51 AM
    Man I wish WiFi were everywhere... you folks in the larger cities often have pretty good coverage in a lot of areas but rural America is pretty much a dark hole for Broadband WiFi. Shoot, I still have dialup at home and end up using my bb to connect on my laptop. I'm still hopin WiMax will actually start working like they've been talking for the last few years and give us in less populous areas a chance to jump on the Broadband wagon.
    11-06-08 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD