I read somewhere that there is discussion that Verizon will unlock the gps to third party apps on the Blackberry 8830 by the end of the year?

Is this really true?
    If so - we are at the end of th year - is this another one of those extended dates?

Thanks
    Bill
    12-27-07 09:07 AM
    I think we have a better chance of getting struck by lightening 5 times on the same day the Cubs win the world series. . . . . but that could happen I guess. . . .
    12-27-07 10:13 AM
    Bluetooth GPS pucks are getting as low as $35.. Go out and just get one.. I haven't gotten one yet but I plan on getting one soon. Even at $80 / 12 months = 6.67/mo. It pays for itself. Besides.. My friend has the GPS Navigator and its ok.. not great.. I think Telenav is better. even for the same price per month.
    12-27-07 10:31 AM
    Can someone provide any insight on which works best

Pro's
    Con's

It kills me that I have to carry around a bluetoth puck when I have a gps unit in the device.

Thanks
    Bill
    02-01-08 10:54 AM
    I played around with an AT&T Curve (fully working integrated GPS) and Google Maps for a day and it was awesome! Had a constant lock on multiple satalites, including at least 4-6 while indoors. Worked like a champ.

Don't let others tell you that the GPS in these units is not what it's cracked up to be. It works well... even indoors. It's too bad that RIM buckled to Verizon on disabling the native feature.
    02-01-08 11:13 AM
    Dont blame RIM, blame verizon, they control the service books for the location based services.
    02-01-08 11:55 AM
    It is a real shame. They have such a good network. I imagine they did a study and the analysis is that they would capture more money on the additional services than the additional customers if they opened the services?

Anyway, I imagine that I am going to get a puck.

Would like to get some feedback on which units are recommended and why
    02-01-08 12:04 PM
    I think we have a better chance of getting struck by lightening 5 times on the same day the Cubs win the world series. . . . . but that could happen I guess. . . .

100 years later. Come on Cubbies!!
    02-01-08 09:39 PM
    From the 3rd party apps developer view (IE MINE) Verizon's point on this is a pain in the rear. We have a pretty cool GPS application for golfers and wish we could market to every user. So Verizon and T-Mobile users are left out in the cold.

From what our developers have seen is that the GPS works, but the data is locked. Furthering the frustration is that GPS data from the satellites IS IN TEH PUBLIC DOMAIN. So by law, anyone can use it. The carriers mentioned, just don't allow it.

gb
    GolfTraxx
    02-18-08 09:21 PM
    Freedom 2000 GPS keychain puck. Very small and works fine. You don't really have to worry about carrying the puck if you always have your keys and phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 09:39 PM
    Oh and I have a freedom keychain puck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD