I just got a new Blackberry from Verizon a couple of weeks ago. I have the
    TEC insurance.

My gripe is that I was walking on a pier and the snap on the case broke and the phone went straight into the drink. Some kid dove in and fished it out for me.

Anyone know whether Verizon will take any warranty responsibility? Ordinarily, I would just take my lumps and move on but in this case I really feel that Verizon should take a large part of the responsibility for the snap off of the case.
    After what happened today I am sure there are many instances where this has happened and I think that they could have at least warned me that there is a possibility that the case could snap off (break) from the belt so I should not stand around water when it happens.

I know I am going to press Verizon to replace my case.

Anybody else have a similar situation? Any ideas?
    04-13-08 06:01 PM
    Warranties do not cover accidental drownings, no matter how they happen - that is why they offer insurance. Make the insurance claim.
    04-13-08 06:15 PM
    Ya they won't do anything for you. File an insurance claim if you have it
    04-13-08 06:17 PM
    Good ole insurance. That's what you need. At least its a 50.00 deductible instead of paying retail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 07:28 PM
    **** ya that's alot better
    04-13-08 07:31 PM
    There's a reason why there's no warranty coverage on the OEM case to begin with. This is why... VZW knew it was a weak POS like all their other cases, so they don't cover the case or anything in it. Nice... huh?
    04-13-08 08:16 PM
    Your anger and frustration is misdirected, if you're gonna go after anyone, then it should be the maker of the Holster. Use your Insurance, that's why you bought it in the first place.

04-13-08 11:21 PM
    Asurion said they didn't have any replacements. That they would call when they have one.

I asked what I could do in the meantime. They said I could beat logs or send smokesignals if I wanted.
    04-15-08 09:08 AM
    I was walking down the hall in my church and my snap broke. I was fortunate that I caught the phone before it hit the concrete flooring. I took the broken case back to CellularSouth and they replaced it without any hassle. I also feel that it is a flaw in Blackberry's case design. I think they should take some responsibility in the replacement of your phone.
    04-15-08 09:23 AM
    Asurion said they didn't have any replacements. That they would call when they have one.

I asked what I could do in the meantime. They said I could beat logs or send smokesignals if I wanted.
    Go into Verizon and raise a little **** with the manager because you pay money every month to make sure you can get a replacement under insurance. If they are willing to sell you insurance from a place that cannot actually provide the replacement for you, then they are doing something wrong. These places should not be running out of replacements and not offer you anything else other then to "wait". Do you think they would mind if you asked them to "wait" to get their insurance money every month from you because you simply didn't have it?
    04-15-08 11:02 AM
    They had a computer recording call me yesterday basically telling me not to worry and be happy. That as soon as they get a junker to send out they will be happy to do so they can get rid of me.

Although I love this phone I have had nothing but problems since I bought it. First, I had a bad trackball and was replaced by Verizon. Now, due to a defective case (regardless of varied opinions it should not have simply snapped off while walking--my Samsung phone case would have virtually needed to be hammered off to snap), and now no replacements available.

I wonder of this is an omen? I hope not.

P.S. To all of you 8830 users....do not carry your BB in your case on a belt around water. There is a good probability you will lose it.
    Last edited by Sammythebarber; 04-16-08 at 06:23 AM.
    04-16-08 06:20 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Actually, I combined what you said with a little begging and Verizon gave in. They called Asurion and said they wanted to do an in store replacement because the guy needs his business telephone. They balked and said...well..we have red one if he'll take it. I hemmed and hawed and said no....I need one today. Verizon only had a red one too but they said they would do the instore replacement. Asurion reluctantly agreed. I could tell they were mad when I had to pay my deductible on the phone there.

Verizon hosed Asurion for about $560. I am so happy they did that.

Just be sure to have your written guarantee with you (off website).
    04-16-08 10:57 AM
    ^^^ Nice move! Have them do some work for you as the consumer for a change. $560 is a big deal to you/consumer, but I assure you, it's not for large companies despite how much they complain about it. Don't feel one bit bad about forcing them to do what they did. It was well within your right to demand the replacement. F them.
    04-16-08 07:25 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Actually, I combined what you said with a little begging and Verizon gave in. They called Asurion and said they wanted to do an in store replacement because the guy needs his business telephone. They balked and said...well..we have red one if he'll take it. I hemmed and hawed and said no....I need one today. Verizon only had a red one too but they said they would do the instore replacement. Asurion reluctantly agreed. I could tell they were mad when I had to pay my deductible on the phone there.

Verizon hosed Asurion for about $560. I am so happy they did that.

Just be sure to have your written guarantee with you (off website).
    Raising **** doesn't always work, however you'll catch more Flies with Honey than you'll do with Vinegar every time.
    04-17-08 10:17 AM
    awesome results, good thing it worked out for you!

I've use Asurion a few times for malfunctioned Motorolas, neither was a pleasant experience.
    04-17-08 11:52 AM
    Initially Verizon did want to weasel out. I brought my worry free guarantee stuff with me and pointed out that I am supposed to receive a next day replacement. She said they do give out next day replacements if they are in stock.

That is when I had to remind her that if the worry free guarantee said "Guaranteed next day replacement if we got it" I would not have bought the phone.

They seem to do a lot of on the edge advertising and try to keep enough wiggle room to satisfy the conditions of the day.
    04-17-08 12:19 PM
    there is a warranty on the holster breaking. you should be able to bring it in to any store that has technicians and they can order you the replacement holster. verizon doesnt sell that particular holster, so it isnt stocked in the stores, but they do have stock in the warehouse to ship out for warranty replacements.
    04-19-08 10:00 AM
    They(Verizon)always told me if I had a problem to go in the store for a replacement with my 50 bucks. They're real good here where I live. You don't even have to call asurion. They already know once they pull up your account at the store that you have the insurance. After that, no hassle. You pay for it, use it!! They give you 2 claims per year.

04-19-08 10:17 AM
    They(Verizon)always told me if I had a problem to go in the store for a replacement with my 50 bucks. They're real good here where I live. You don't even have to call asurion. They already know once they pull up your account at the store that you have the insurance. After that, no hassle. You pay for it, use it!! They give you 2 claims per year.

They must be real good there. I have never heard of anything like that.
    04-19-08 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD