A little history: Got my first 8830 in December '07. Had problems hearing callers, Verizon decided it was an issue with the unit and replaced. January, problem persists, Verizon replaces this unit as well. February, March, April problem persists. After 17 phone calls (all documented thank you) this problem was elevated to the "Director" level. One of the engineers finally experienced the same problem but has been unable to re-create since that one time.

Although it seems to be an issue with calls that go off the wireless network (ie it is never an issue on Verizon Wireless to another Verizon Wireless phone), Verizon want me to try a different Blackberry and sent me a Curve.

My initial impression is mixed. It is a little smaller, but the buttons are more separated. In the hand the Curve feels less substantial almost cheap. And the trackball in the Curve is definitely worse, no where near as smooth as the 8830. It feels more toy like. Time will tell.

I am still waiting for the Curve to charge, so we will see if the problem persists.

The camera is a mixed blessing. Probably fun as a toy, but I work in a number of facilities where a camera is strictly verboten so I have to leave my phone in the car which is quite a pain since I weaned myself from a cell phone and PDA combination to a Blackberry. Cannot believe I will have to carry both again. Maybe I can just gouge out the camera lens.

The voice recorder on the Curve should be a pretty cool feature.

I cannot wait for it to charge to see if the voice problem persists.
    05-16-08 02:48 PM
    I'd trade my 8830WE for the Curve just due to size, easier to lug around. Any other impressions?
    05-17-08 10:26 PM

My initial impression is mixed. It is a little smaller, but the buttons are more separated. In the hand the Curve feels less substantial almost cheap. And the trackball in the Curve is definitely worse, no where near as smooth as the 8830. It feels more toy like. Time will tell.
    The Curve probably does feel a little less "substantial" -- not sure why, it is only 12g lighter (less than 1/2 oz), maybe it doesn't feel "cold" in the hand like the more metallic 8830. Just a lighter, more compact feel. I don't perceive it as "cheap" -- just lighter. ymmv.

The trackball is a different feel, not gritty but maybe grainy is a better word -- I'm betting we will see fewer complaints of dirty and inop trackballs due to more texture and "traction" in the trackball interface.

The keys are indeed more separated, and they have more tactile feel (you can feel them click) than the 8830, which has more tactile feel than the 8800. Again, I don't perceive it as cheap, but the higher tactile feel or stiffer key detents against the lighter mass of the device do give it a different feel. I like 'em both -- they're just different, and different strokes for different folks as the song says.

Biggest difference will be in the 50% increase in memory. My 8830 was constantly running low on Free Memory, and I had to remove apps that I wanted. No such issue with the Curve.

As for the camera -- now if some accessory maker would just start selling a "battery door" that has no openings for the camera, then one might be able to navigate past the camera cops at the receptionist desks. (Then you just have to hope they don't get nosy and look inside !!)
    05-18-08 04:21 PM
    Haven't bought the Curve, but have played with it a lot.

Doesn't feel as solid in my hands as my 8830... I really wanted it for the memory and MMS. But, not quite feeling the love yet...
    05-18-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD