man they are both great phones but cant bite the bullet and loose verizon service? but with the 8830 & the poor sound quality that the people on the other end of a conversation, why have a great network and poor sound quality. The quality on my end is good, but the quality on the other end is poor, and very amplified background noise! I am waiting for the 8830 "update" & am quite disappointed is has been released yet. I still have about 10 days to return the 8830. I can deal with not getting my mail immediately. On the Iphone it is possible to receive mail every 15 min. Anyhow, what do you guys think?
    11-09-07 11:25 PM
    If you have ten days left with Verizon then I suggest you use those ten days and take at&t with the iPhone on their trial basis. See if their service is just as good as Verizon. It could be better in your area. See if the iPhone is all it is cracked up to be. Call customer service and see if they can answer your questions. You won't know until you try. From there, you can make your decision on which carrier will fulfill your needs. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    11-10-07 09:40 AM
    Tell Verizon that you want another unit. Call quality on my 8830 has been great all over North America. Sounds like you have a lemon.
    11-12-07 04:08 PM
    Call quality is great on my 8830W no problems and no regrets.
    11-13-07 02:06 PM
    Everyone hears me fine on my 8830, sounds like you got a dud.. Return it
    11-14-07 03:55 AM
    Everyone hears me fine on my 8830, sounds like you got a dud.. Return it
    I agree ! !
    11-14-07 08:34 AM
    I have an 8830 and the voice issue on the other end of the line is very well documented and I can confirm the same issue on my phone. That being said, I have thought about an iphone as well, with the browser being the coolest feature in my mind. Here are the things that make me happy about my decision:

1. I get my emails instantaneously on my BB, without any kind of delay that would occur on an iphone. This is huge, especially if you want a quick reply to your emails.

2. BB Messenger. I didn't know about/care about this at first, but then I realized that I could "IM" anyone on a blackberry and have a super-fast conversation without the cost of a text message. Yes, you can download IM clients and all that stuff, but the beauty of BB messenger is that the user doesn't have to have any application open.

3. Faster and nearly error-free typing (duh)

4. Open to corporate email

5. I paid $100 for my 8830 after rebate

6. I get to keep Verizon's superb service (something I believe I would miss if I switched to AT&T, which my family has had tons of problems with in Boston), and my phone still works in Europe (with a relatively inexpensive unlimited global email plan if you're into that).

7. Shortcuts. Once you start using one key to get everywhere and do anything, it makes life easy, and ultimately that's why I bought it, not because it was cool.

8. Great speakerphone (not sure if iphone has this)

Hope this helps.
    11-14-07 10:16 AM
    Forget the 8830 AND the IPhone and get a Curve!!! Best BB on the market IMHO!
    11-14-07 10:29 AM
    Ok, so I went ahead and got an iphone as well. With 4 days left to test which one, I prefer, I can almost with ease, say the iphone is more suitable for my needs. Besides being sleek & totally a toy, it has great functionality for everything I could possibly want. I can use the ipod part for music in the gym, it has a camera (which the 8830 does not) & email the pic on the fly if I need to. The email can sync every 15 mins, which is fine with me rather than having it pushed (aol takes 10-20 mins to get to me on the BB anyhow) I dont use BES mail service, so not loosing anything there for me. I have to say that the BB messenger is really nice feature, but not enough. I like having a full browser on the iphone, even though it is through AT&T EDGE, it still has Wifi, for starbucks & most airports. I dont need the verizon navigator as my car has GPS. The At&t service is great in DC area, & west palm beach, FL where I travel the most. I am happy & will most likely make the complete switch to the iphone. IT IS SO COOL! Holler!
    11-14-07 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD