Can I use my 8830 abroad with local SIM card without activating the phone in the US?
    12-07-07 01:12 PM
    What do you mean "without activating in the US"? I don't know how other provides handles the GSM roaming, but with Bell, once you set up your 8830, they also setup for GSM roaming. But with the Motorola A900 (correct model that also has GSM capabilities?) you call them up when you're about travel and they provide the necessary information to use the GSM feature. I'm guessing you're thinking about unlocking your 8830. If you unlock the 8830, you may use a local sim card from where ever you're travelling without having to deal with your service provider. Without it being unlocked, you can't use a SIM card that isn't given from your provider.
    12-07-07 10:19 PM
    The Sprint device comes unlocked - no unlocking necessary.

I would *guess* that you might be able to use it with a local SIM, but that would be just a guess. I have rolled out about 175 of the 8830's to my users since they came out, but we always activate them with Sprint first, and use the SIM card that comes with the device for our international travelers.

Perhaps someone else who uses local SIM cards will chime in
    12-07-07 11:06 PM
    I got the 8830 from Sprint and I was told that I have to activate the phone with them before I can activate the phone oversea with local SIM card. Is that true?
    12-16-07 09:13 PM
    From the response, it seems that I don't have to, but just want to get a confirmation. Thanks.
    12-21-07 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD