Hello all... I just received my unlocked BB 8820 from eBay today and have been running into a few problems.

Essentially, all I want the thing for is a calendar to sync work (Outlook) and personal calender and personal e-mail capabilities while I am at work and can't check on their computers. I didn't sign up for a data or voice plan through AT&T nor do I plan to (unless absolutely necessary). I've found conflicting information on whether you can or cannot do this...

I have searched on this site and all over the internet ad nausea for information on how to use the WiFi (my home network) to retrieve personal e-mail and use the web browser (currently have the stock one and Opera mini).

I found a bunch of links explaining how to take the TCP settings off and how to search and install a wifi (my home network), but still can't connect to the system... I just get the little orange (-) sign next to my home wifi.

Any advice is appreciated. I just want a BB that I can use to chk personal e-mail and use the wifi.

Thanks for a great board!
    01-28-09 08:11 PM
    If you haven't already, try upgrading the OS to 4.5. Mine came with 4.2 and wouldn't connect to my home Wi-Fi but as soon as the OS upgrade finished I went through the setup and it worked. The connection icon next to Wi-Fi will stay yellow if you don't have a data plan, even when it's connected and running, but you should still be able to browse and such.
    01-28-09 10:41 PM
    I upgraded last night to the 4.5 after I got the white screen/hourglass of death...

So the update was that Opera connected briefly last night but then lost the connection and it stayed off and I am not able to connect this AM.

I must be missing something...
    01-29-09 05:42 AM
    Are the security settings correct? I got thrown off by the fact that WPA security is called PSK on the 8820.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 10:16 AM
    Buy yourself a Palm TX from ebay. This is the ultimate PDA. It has Wifi, and a great calendar. Awesome.
    To have a Blackberry without using it at least as a phone is a shame.
    The calendar on the BB is nowhere near as good as the calendar on Palm. Where the BB excels is everywhere else. GPS, Wifi, phone, calendar, media player, etc...
    You could get a good price for your BB and get a decent Palm TX and have money left over.
    01-29-09 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD