Hi all,

So I have a bit of an urgent problem seeing how the 8830 is my only phone and I use it for work and personal life. So any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, I have the 8830 and I have Sprint. I have had this particular phone for about 6 or 7 months and I have had the contract for just over a year. My original 8830 was replaced 6 or 7 months ago so I do not know, and neither did the people at the Sprint store that I went to on Friday know if my phone would be covered by a 1 year manufacturers contract. Real helpful...

Anyway, on to the problems. I first began experiencing a usb connection problem. I believe the usb is simply bent. So when it is plugged in, either to the wall or the computer, it constantly disconnects and reconnects and after a few times of doing that it restarts. So it takes like 20 hours to charge because it's constantly disconnecting. I can tape the usb plug on to the phone to give it a little better connection but it'll still disconnect occasionally. unfortunately, this is no longer the main problem with my phone and I need help with the following--

Apart from having connection problems, I wanted to reinstall the OS, backup and restore everything else because of a different software problem. Since using tape I was able to get a decent length of time to connect I figured I could do this. BUT when I started going through the process, the phone started disconnecting and reconnecting constantly, and VIOLA! now I have a problem. Luckily, I managed to backup everything, but now when I turn on the phone(by putting the battery in(take out the battery to turn it off because the buttons don't work anymore)) then a white screen appears and in the center there is a circle with a slash through it(almost exactly like a no smoking sign with a cigarette and a slash through it) and inside the circle there is a little rectangle app image with a circle, square, and a triangle inside of it. And beneath the big circle that contains everything is the number "507." I cannot connect to the computer anymore, I can only turn the bb on by pulling and putting in the battery, and the screen is always lit so I don't expect to have the longest amount of battery power to fix this little problem(I had nearly 100% when it died though). Also, the people at Sprint seem unwilling and unknowing to help and that is why I will be shunning them.

Any way for me to connect this thing and fix it? I will take it apart if I have to because even though it's less than a year old, Sprint doesn't seem to think it's covered by the manufacturers warranty and so I don't appear to have any warranty to break and I need a phone for work! And I'm a bit out of a phone at the moment to call blackberry with and ask them(although I'll call them with a friends phone when I get a hold of one...).

I drew a picture with my wonderful Paint skills of what the blackberry's screen looks like when I turn it on. It's attached.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Le Aeronautical

EDIT: I understand that Error 507 means that there is no OS found. But, the problem persists, how on Earth do I reinstall it? I can probably get the computer to stay connected long enough if I sit there and hold the usb in place and when I plug in to the computer it gives me that annoying 'you are now connected' beeping sound on vista. But when I open Desktop Manager a little window pops up that says: "BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot communitccate with the connected BlackBerry device.

If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click Retry to attempt to reconnect once the device reboots.

Otherwise, you might need to update the BlackBerry Device Software to correct the problem."

I have the latest Desktop Manager, so yea...ideas?
    Last edited by Le Aeronautical; 07-18-10 at 08:48 AM.
    07-18-10 08:37 AM
    Have you tried contacting RIM directly for the warranty issue? If you can prove that the unit is under 12 months old, they might be able to help since Sprint is giving you a hard time.
    You can reinstall the software, but this requires a good connection to you computer. So I don't know what to tell you. Opening the unit to try to fix the USB port yourself will definitly void any warranty left.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    07-18-10 08:57 AM
    Contact Sprint again. You'll get a different service person. A defective USB port should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. A failed OS load is not. So emphasize the hardware failure in the USB connector. That's not that uncommon.
    07-18-10 09:19 AM
    Have you tried contacting RIM directly for the warranty issue? If you can prove that the unit is under 12 months old, they might be able to help since Sprint is giving you a hard time.
    You can reinstall the software, but this requires a good connection to you computer. So I don't know what to tell you. Opening the unit to try to fix the USB port yourself will definitly void any warranty left.
    Thanks for the reply. I know I can definitely restore it, just looking for any tips I guess, because I never ran into this problem before...Just going to be a long day >
    I will contact RIM, if it turns out that it really isn't covered by the manufacturers warranty(although it should be) then I can replace the usb. It's not the hardest thing to do. And that should at least take care of my connection problem.
    07-18-10 09:23 AM
    Contact Sprint again. You'll get a different service person. A defective USB port should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. A failed OS load is not. So emphasize the hardware failure in the USB connector. That's not that uncommon.
    That doesn't surprise me. Last time my phone was replaced it was because of a small mechanical break on some cheap plastic part.

Thanks for the help. I will contact them again.
    07-18-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD