Hi Everyone,

I am currently running on v4.2.2.196. I'd like to update my software, but they make it sound like it could mess up my BES software (work email). Anyone have anything to chime in? Do I really need to call my IT first before upgrading?

Thanks!

Carolynn
    05-04-09 07:20 PM
    I upgraded to 4.5 on my Verizon Wireless 8830 WE on yesterday. I did lose the BES access with the upgrade. But, I only had to get another BES activation password from IT and I was back up and running today. I did a backup to the Desktop Manager, but I did not need to do a restore. I also did not have to wipe my phone to reactivate the BES. BES on my 8830 WE is working the same or better than it was on 4.2.
    05-04-09 07:51 PM
    If you have DM installed on your work computer, just plug the BB back into the computer and DM will activate your BB over the network... (1) you must be on the network or vpn (2) you must be logged on with the username you connect to Exchange/Notes/etc with.
    05-04-09 09:44 PM
    If you have DM installed on your work computer, just plug the BB back into the computer and DM will activate your BB over the network... (1) you must be on the network or vpn (2) you must be logged on with the username you connect to Exchange/Notes/etc with.

That doesn't always work... I'm on BES and have upgraded several times now. I've tried leaving the BB plugged in and on the network with DM open and with it closed for hours and have never successfully had the BES validate properly. Each time I end up going back in and groveling to get a new Activation Password issued. No big deal but not every IT department will take lightly to you upgrading without a Supreme Court decision in your favor.
    05-05-09 07:32 AM
    I would agree with Trucky up above and the IT Nazis..that being said, I own my own business and utilize a 3rd party BES administrator and I upgraded with no issues. I upgraded my wife's 8830 as well and she has her firm's BES and typically it's on lock down with no issues either.
    GOOD LUCK!
    05-07-09 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD