Just got off the phone with Verizon customer service regarding the failure of the Verizon 8830 World Edition to sync with Outlook Calendar. They conferenced in the RIM customer service people.

According to RIM, this is a "known problem" and they're working on a software fix now. They said the bug is on the handheld side, not in the Desktop Manager software.

It will be fixed in the "next release" of the Blackberry operating system. When I asked when that will be, all I could get was "pretty soon." I asked whether we'd have to wait for the next major release, and they were noncommittal.

They did say (and the VZW rep confirmed) that the Verizon Wireless Website would post a notice when the next release is out. It can then be downloaded through the Desktop Manager application manager.

More news to follow . . .
    05-30-07 03:52 PM
    Brilliant info, thanks for taking the time to get the info, and for posting it!

***moved to the right thread***
    05-30-07 06:37 PM
    This is what they told me last Friday.

Even if Verizon posted a new Blackberry OS TODAY that would fix this problem I could not download it. My Verizon wireless number is not recognized as a valid phone number on the Verizon system and they have absolutely NO idea when that will be fixed. I need the wireless number in order to gain access to ANY new software.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-01-07 at 03:14 PM. Reason: ...merged.
    06-01-07 02:52 PM
    ...try a variation of your number. It might just work. Sorry to say, no one is going to post their phone number, so this 'trick' might work.
    06-01-07 03:18 PM
    This fix worked for me: Log into the VZW BIS site and resend Service Books to you device. I did this, soft reset my device, restarted my PC, and my calendar now syncs properly. Calendar options on the device no longer shows 0 entries. Hope this helps. *I am reposting the fix in this thread with the hopes that users find it helpful.*
    06-02-07 08:38 PM
    What is VZW Bis site link?

What Can I do to fix this?

TIA!
    06-02-07 08:53 PM
    It's, here
    06-02-07 09:08 PM
    Nope,

Did this from Phone and from Internet (PC). Still cannot get an appointment originally set up on 8830 into Outlook 2003.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    06-02-07 09:18 PM
    Sorry it didn't work for you. I just confirmed that I was able to move two appointments from my 8830 to Outlook 2007 via USB connection. That did not work for me before the new Service Books. There is a thread over at BlackBerry Forums that seems to indicate that some other people have used this fix successfully as well. Sorry that I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts on this site to be allowed to do so. Good Luck.

BTW The tread is at BlackBerryForums.com -> Blackberry General Forums -> General 8800 Series Discussion -> Calendar now syncing correctly!
    06-02-07 09:43 PM
    Hold everything!
    Just tried this again and it worked!!!!

Thanks
    !!!!
    06-02-07 09:56 PM
    To be honest with you, that was my impression as well. But I can definitely confirm that this resolved my sync problems. It was the only change that I made before everything started to work properly. Check out the thread at BlackBerry Forums that I described earlier. It would appear that al least 5 people have sucessfully resolved their sync issue with the new Books.

I tried it and, lo and behold, it worked!!
    I deleted my previous post.

THANKS SO MUCH BIGPLAYA!!!
    06-02-07 09:58 PM
    Glad to hear it! Now that the Calendar Sync Issue seems to be put to bed, I can honestly declare that this device is $.
    06-02-07 10:00 PM
    Hold the phone for one sec. Is anybody's reminders working on their device? The service book fix worked, but now my reminders aren't working...
    06-05-07 02:17 PM
    I never use Reminders; can't help.

My calendar sync continues to work OK following reinstalling of Desktop Manager software (directly from BlackBerry) and reinstalling of Verizon BB OS. However, duplicate calendar entries still exist and edits create additional entries.

Does anyone know the meaning of the icon in BB Calendar entries (Agenda View, at the far right) that looks like two little file folders (or pages) overlapping? I can't find any reference to this in the (severely minimalist) BlackBerry User's Guide.
    06-05-07 05:16 PM
    The service book fix doesn't work for me either (I'm using PocketMac). I talked to VZW who conferenced RIM and they said not to expect a fix anytime soon--"certainly not in the next 2 weeks." They were sympathetic, but I don't understand how such a huge bug could have gone unnoticed during beta testing. They do test these things before they sell them, right?
    06-05-07 05:54 PM
    [QUOTE=paulbent;10550]

According to RIM, this is a "known problem" and they're working on a software fix now. They said the bug is on the handheld side, not in the Desktop Manager software.

QUOTE]

Well now, wasn't that fun, I have been trolling every Google post to resolve this sure that "I" had scrwed something up. Would have been nice of VZW to push out an alert to the limited number of 8830 folk to not pull their hair out. I have re-installed twice beofre finding this post :P

Saw the service books but my phone does not seem to have them...

I DID get a phone number (from VZW service) that can be generically used for the DL at the VZW partner site but it is on my other 'puter. I'll have acess to that this weekend so if you want a number send me a note....

I am still 50/50 on keeping VZW, I may switch to AT&T for the GPS feature...I have until tuesday of next week....
    06-07-07 05:58 AM
    I attempted a 8830 sync with my home PC setup this morning. It works normally now on two different PCs. I guess having the additional email account makes it work for some strange reason.
    06-07-07 07:45 AM
    Replied to wrong thread. Sorry.
    05-01-13 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD