I just got my 8830WE unlocked by Verizon in preparation for a trip to Costa Rica. However, I'm at a loss as to which SIM card might work locally. From everything I've read, the only carrier in CR is gov't controlled and won't sell prepaid SIM cards. In addition, I'm unable to find a global pre-pay SIM company who will support roaming in CR. Any ideas besides Verizon's $2.49USD per minute roaming charges? On the plus side for those of you who didn't know, with the global data package, you're Blackberry data is included for free in CR (and elsewhere). Thanks!!

Carrier: Verizon
    Phone: 8830WE unlocked
    11-14-07 05:02 PM
    i didnt have the 8830 when i was there earlier this year but the i830 and it wasnt unlocked. from my understanding there, u cant get ur phone to work there. u have to get a phone there which i think u cant unless u live there. im sure there is a solution, but i dont think from my recolection that ur 8830, even unlocked will work. oh, u also cant pay anything to verizon, not even 2.49/min to use their service or any partner nor any data. maybe things have changed since april, but thats how it was then. i hope that helps. i just used a friends phone that lives there.

cheers
    chan
    11-15-07 03:21 AM
    Thanks, Chanp. In the past couple of months Verizon did come to a roaming agreement in Costa Rica, so the rates and data info is from their Global Services group and confirmed by multiple people. So, with data working with the supplied Vodafone SIM, I just need a global SIM with a company who also has roaming agreements in place. Go-SIM says they do, but I'm very skeptical. Also, accordin to GSMworld.com, there are multiple other roaming partners, but nothing to support this fact anywhere else:

.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_cr (dot) shtml

The fact that my unlocked 8830 will now accept 3rd party SIM cards helps, but not without a 3rd party roaming agreement.
    11-15-07 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD