I did a bit of searching on this but haven't found (or at least accepted) an answer.

I have an 8830 that I unlocked back in December. I've since used it in Thailand and China and it worked fine.

A few weeks later I'm in France and I buy a Orange SIM card. I put it in after I leave the store and I'm getting the "Please Insert SIM card" and the phone is only in SOS mode. I try reinserting and restarting the phone several times to no avail.

I notice that SIM cards go in very easily now and it used to be hard to get them in and out. I'm wondering if I broke something inside that is causing the problem. I read another post that mentioned something like that but I can't verify it.

I checked the SIM card under advanced options to verify that it was unlocked thinking maybe it reset or something. For all options there (network, sim card, etc) it says "Unknown". It doesn't say Active or Disabled.

Anybody got any advice? Thanks

--eternalx
    08-06-09 04:17 AM
    you can't use sim cards in a verizon phone. i didn't know you could "unlock" them either
    08-06-09 04:19 AM
    I have a sims card with my unlocked bb storm on verizon. So yes you can use a sims card on a verizon phone.

Im not sure if this helps, but did you try putting a piece of small cardboard between the sims card and the metal tab to make sure the sims card is making contact and if not, did you try another sims card?
    08-06-09 05:35 AM
    Not all VZW phones are created equal. You can use SIM cards on the 8830 as it is a world phone and yes, you can unlock it as I did (by calling VZW and getting the world kit and inserting the password they give you). I've used SIM cards from Thailand, China and Australia. There are also numerous posts on this site that document the process.

I will try the carbboard trick.
    08-06-09 11:48 AM
    the cardboard trick didn't work
    08-06-09 11:56 AM
    Do you have the original Verizon sim card? Does that work?

What about one of those other/older ones from "faraway places?" Still have those just to test.

You are placing it in the sim slot and not the sd trapdoor?

Yes, I could not get mine out without a tweezers.

Good luck
    08-06-09 09:36 PM
    Hi eternalx,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with my 8820...!

I recently traveled from Europe to Asia and swapped out my SIM for a local card while in Thailand. Now like you had mentioned:

"I notice that SIM cards go in very easily now and it used to be hard to get them in and out. I'm wondering if I broke something inside that is causing the problem. I read another post that mentioned something like that but I can't verify it."

I am now back in Europe and I can't get my phone to read ANY SIM card...! Did we break something or perhaps did the SIM card swap fry something in the phone...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

B
    10-28-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD