I just called my carrier VZW for the unlock code on my 8830.
    They are telling me that I MUST have SIM card inserted before entering the unlock code.

Is this true?

I followed the instructions from http //forums.crackberry.com/f61/8830-unlock-instructions-read-before-posting-unlock-forum-31590/

but that didn't say anything about having to insert the SIM card first.

When I go to the "Sim Card" option, it says "SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card".
    08-07-08 11:25 AM
    Yes you will need a SIM card. You can go to the verizon store and pick one up.
    08-07-08 11:36 AM
    Yea, they will charge you $29.99 at the store for one. Or look on ebay, there is a guy selling them for $14.99 out of NYC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 07:22 PM
    I got a sim card from verizon for free when I purchased the 8830.

I believe you can have ANY sim card in there for the unlock procedure to work - not just the verizon one.
    08-07-08 10:58 PM
    Thanks. I came home and popped in the gf's TMO SIM card and was able to unlock the phone!

I emailed VZW to see how much it would be for their SIM card, as I've been reading conflicting posts that you can get it for free, or will have to pay ~ $30 for it.
    08-07-08 11:16 PM
    $29.99 for a verizon SIM?
    That seems kinda high
    08-07-08 11:28 PM
    When I bought my 8830 last spring at a Verizon store, the guy said that the SIM comes with it, but if you come back later and want one, it's $29. HOWEVER, he went through the sales process and didn't put one in my bag. When I got to the car and figured this out, I went back into the store. THEY TRIED TO CHARGE ME THE $29!!! I, of course, argued that I'd been gone for only 30 seconds and had asked for one - and that it was their fault that they hadn't put it in my bag - so they ended up giving it to me.

Bottom line: always remember to get it at the time of sale, if you want it for free, and don't expect them to help you remember!
    08-08-08 09:09 AM
    Wow...I emailed VZW support and received a response today.

They are sending me a SIM card via 2nd day shipping at NO cost.

Here's the entire email thread....

Good Afternoon Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Christopher, and I am happy to assist you regarding the cost of a SIM card and if we can send one to you.

Mr. xxx, I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that this concern may have caused you.

Yes, we can send a Verizon Wireless SIM (subscriber identification module) card to you.

The cost of the SIM card is $29.99. However, you should have received a SIM card when you acquired your Blackberry 8830.

Please reply to this email and I will have a Verizon Wireless SIM card sent to you with two day shipping at no cost. Please include the United States address that you would like the SIM card delivered to and I will be more than happy to process the order on your behalf.

Upon receiving the SIM card, it is imperative that you reply to this email with the 19-digit SIM card number which will be similar to 8931440000xxxxxxxxx so that we can activate it for you.

The SIM card must be activated and inserted correctly into your Blackberry 8830 to enable your phone to properly register on a foreign GSM network to process calls and data.

I also wanted to take a moment to thank you. You have been a loyal customer since October 28, 1999 and that longevity is appreciated. I hope we remain your favorite cellular provider for many years to come. It is loyal customers like yourself that make Verizon Wireless a success and we greatly appreciate your business.

I hope that this information is helpful and that I have addressed all of your concerns. I also hope that you have a wonderful time on your trip and that you will have a safe return home!

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Christopher
    Verizon Wireless
    Global Services

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

Form Message
    MAIL_ADDRESS:
    [email protected]
    Market ID:
    Southern California
    Zip Code:
    xxx
    First Name:
    xxx
    Last Name:
    xxx
    Full Name:
    Tom xxx
    Email Address:
    [email protected]
    Daytime Phone Area Code:
    xxx
    Daytime Phone Prefix:
    xxx
    Daytime Phone Suffix:
    xxxx
    Daytime Phone Extension:

Fax Area Code:

Fax Prefix:

Fax Suffix:

Account Number:

Mobile Area Code:
    xxx
    Mobile Prefix:
    xxx
    Mobile Suffix:
    xxxx
    SSN:
    Verf.
    Primary Subject:
    Network and Coverage
    Secondary Subject:
    International Calling or Roaming
    Message Body:
    I have a blackberry 8830. It's through my company's account (xxxx). I just called Global Support to unlock my phone, since I am planning to travel oversea. How much is it for the SIM card? Is it possible for you to send me one? Thanks!
    08-08-08 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD