After doing a battery pull, my 8830 VZW is coming up with this error: "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerExceptio". After I click the OK box everything appears to be operating normally. Anyone know what this is? I already did a "Restore", No change.
    05-25-08 10:59 AM
    You might have to reload the OS. First try wiping the device. Options > Security > General > Press Menu > Wipe Handheld. You may have to enter the word blackberry.
    05-25-08 11:10 AM
    You might have to reload the OS. First try wiping the device. Options > Security > General > Press Menu > Wipe Handheld. You may have to enter the word blackberry.
    Do I just do a Restore after the wipe?
    05-25-08 11:33 AM
    What 3rd party apps are loaded on the phone? Let's start there. Has it always happened, even when the device was new?

BTW, if you wipe to test this, make sure you test after the wipe before you restore. If the error is gone after the wipe, but returns after the data restore, it could be something with your user data or preferences. Something to keep in mind.
    05-25-08 11:44 AM
    What 3rd party apps are loaded on the phone? Let's start there. Has it always happened, even when the device was new?

BTW, if you wipe to test this, make sure you test after the wipe before you restore. If the error is gone after the wipe, but returns after the data restore, it could be something with your user data or preferences. Something to keep in mind.
    No third party apps have been loaded within the last two weeks. This problem just started this morning.
    05-25-08 12:01 PM
    jgo-i had the same error. I saw a post about connecting to the usb then pulling battery. that seemed to have worked for me...
    05-25-08 12:11 PM
    jgo-i had the same error. I saw a post about connecting to the usb then pulling battery. that seemed to have worked for me...

I tried this but it did not work. Interestingly, if I let the phone boot while sleeping in the holster, this doesn't happen. Weird!
    05-25-08 12:53 PM
    Have you tried my suggestion yet?
    05-25-08 02:34 PM
    Have you tried my suggestion yet?
    No, because your suggestion should be the absolute last thing to try, not the first. VZW actually suggested replacing the device which is their standard answer for everything. I hope none of them are working their way through medical school.

The problem turned out to be a network issue. I took the device far enough away to connect with another tower where I had no problems. When I came back home, the problem returned. All is OK this morning.
    05-26-08 08:48 AM
    You might want to update the OS on your phone. If it's an older version (if you've had the phone for a while), there was an issue with network connectivity and java errors because of the radio code. Also, if you don't travel out of the States, just set your radio connection settings to XEV only instead of Global. That will also fix this.
    05-26-08 12:29 PM
    No, because your suggestion should be the absolute last thing to try, not the first.
    No it isn't. I suggested more than one thing. The last option is getting the phone replaced. I also suggested wiping the handheld. This will restore your phone back to factory settings. If it works, then it was a setting you change or something that got changed on the phone. If it doesn't work, then you move up the troubleshooting ladder by updating/reloading the OS. If that fails to solve the issue, then the last option is to have the phone replaced.
    05-27-08 12:08 AM
    I have the latest OS and am waiting on 4.5, like the rest of you. This was a network problem is not an issue any longer. Thank you, all, for your input.
    05-27-08 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD