I'm having major issues getting my 8830 to connect, and stay connected to the Desktop Manager.

I have done the following:

1) Did a clean uninstall of the Desktop Manager software, including removal of all files and regedit.
    2) Downloaded the software again and reinstalled Desktop Manager. (Note: this did not solve the problem, and Desktop Manager was still showing "Disconnected" after this step.)
    3) Rebooted computer and tried to connect to Desktop Manager again. (Note: this again did not solve the problem, and Desktop Manager was still showing "Disconnected" after this step.)
    4) Disconnected BB from USB cable, removed battery from BB, reinserted battery, closed and restarted Desktop Manager, connected BB to laptop

After step 4 it connected- but only for a moment before going back to 'Disconnected' again. So frustrating! It starts to sync, and then just stops.

Any ideas?
    03-24-08 05:53 PM
    Download the drivers for Desktop Manager/Blackberry and reinstall them. Make sure you get the same ones that match with the Desktop Manager you downloaded and installed.
    03-24-08 06:55 PM
    You have the right version of Desktop manager and also that you have device match. You might need to do a device switch on the the desktop.
    03-25-08 06:15 AM
    How do I know if I have the correct version of Desktop Manager? I've tried both version 1 and 3.
    03-25-08 04:45 PM
    Okay this is becoming confusing. Both replies thus far don't make sense for the problem at hand. Desktop Manager includes the USB drivers for the phone!

Are you installing Desktop Manager 4.2 or 4.3? What version of windows are you running XP or Vista?
    03-25-08 05:24 PM
    I installed 4.3.
    03-27-08 10:18 AM
    I'm having exactly the same problem with the same process (on Vista). ???
    04-07-08 06:45 PM
    I've used both 4.2 SP2 and 4.3 under Vista and can vouch that both versions work just fine. INSTALL THE PROGRAM BEFORE YOU PLUG IN THE BLACKBERRY. <- Very important.
    04-07-08 06:47 PM
    All,

I've had a similar issue running 4.3 on an XP machine. I've installed the desktop manager several times but it seems that everytime I connect my BB to my laptop and the device/computer begin syncing, something happens that disconnects the two and kills the manager software. I've performed all the typical troubleshooting techniques and still am getting the same results. It's odd because I have used this for a while without any problems at all and still use this same configuration on another machine without any problems. Wonder if the BB realizes that I'm syncing to different computers and therefore is throwing an error that causes things to crash.

Not sure if this is the same problem Semily is having above...though. Semily, it may help if you describe exactly what kind of problems you are having as well as the software and OS platform you are using in your original message. This sometimes helps troubleshooting the issue at hand. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks...
    04-07-08 07:12 PM
    I'm running DTM 4.3 on a laptop with Windows XP Professional with SP2. It works fine with my Verizon 8830 WE. DTM 4.3 is slower connecting than the previous version I was running with my 7250. Sorry, I don't remember what version that was, but I'd had it on the computer for a couple of years.
    04-07-08 09:52 PM
    I'm still stuck.

Here's the current situation:
    - 4.2.1.6 is installed from the CD (I've also downloaded and tried 4.3)
    - I'm running on XP
    - When I plug the BB into the USB cord, it makes the noise that hardware is connected, but it the DM does not recognize the device.
    - if I unplug the BB, remove the battery, replace it, and plug it back in, I get the 'Found New Hardware- Blackberry Device' message in the lower right corner, but the DM still never recognizes it. After this first time of plugging it in, I don't get the 'Found New Hardware' message, but I still here the noise that something has been plugged in.

When I was running 4.3 sometimes it would connect for a second, but then it would disconnect before it had a chance to sync.
    04-09-08 05:12 PM
    Have you tried a different physical USB connection on the computer? My Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS only connects properly using the USB port that I used when I installed it originally. To be specific, when I plug the USB cable into the left side USB port, the found new h/w wizard tries to run. When I plug into the right side port that I used when I installed the software, the Garmin software recognizes the GPS and runs properly. Both ports on the laptop work properly with other applications.
    Last edited by JeffH; 04-09-08 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added details starting with "To be specific..."
    04-09-08 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD