I have an unlocked AT&T 8820 working on T-mobile. The Wi-Fi works great, at home, work, and just about everwhere. No problems. I wanted to make use of the 8820's UMA. T-mobile needs to push 2 certificates to the 8820 to enable UMA. I called HotSpot@Home and talked to a rep who said that they will push to an 8320 but when they see an 8820, no. Does anyone know if obtaining the certificates from an 8320 and moving them to an 8820 will work? Has anyone tried it? If so does anyone know if these certificates are posted anywhere?
    10-31-07 11:29 AM
    I have no idea if it will work, but try accessing these links from your device:

mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/t-mobile_root.der

mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/trustcert.der
    Last edited by kasperapd; 10-31-07 at 02:15 PM. Reason: corrected link
    10-31-07 02:13 PM
    kasperapd, Thanks for the links. The mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/t-mobile_root.der
    loaded, has a yellow checkmark, and says trusted. The other mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/trustcert.der has a red checkmark and says untrusted. Not sure why. I will investigate more. I was able to download the certificates to my 8820 folder on my PC, so I believe I can try reinstalling from Desktop Manager. UMA does not show up yet. Tried a reset, that didn't work.
    10-31-07 04:29 PM
    I have no idea if it will work, but try accessing these links from your device:

mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/t-mobile_root.der

mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/trustcert.der
    Both certificates installed but have a yellow question mark, instead of a green check mark. Revocation status is "Unknown on Thu, Nov 1, 2007 2:49:30 PM". Trust Status Implicitly Trusted and Expiration Date Sun, Mar 28, 2021 7:59:59 PM. I would like to compare to a certificate from a T-mobile 8320, or install the certificate from an 8320, but am not sure if that would work. Seems so close to working.
    11-01-07 04:27 PM
    Both certificates installed but have a yellow question mark, instead of a green check mark. Revocation status is "Unknown on Thu, Nov 1, 2007 2:49:30 PM". Trust Status Implicitly Trusted and Expiration Date Sun, Mar 28, 2021 7:59:59 PM. I would like to compare to a certificate from a T-mobile 8320, or install the certificate from an 8320, but am not sure if that would work. Seems so close to working.
    Hey, any luck yet? Were you able to place UMA calls from your 8820 already?

Please respond. Thanks,
    Cos
    11-26-07 12:15 AM
    I can't see how simply installing the UMA certificates would really do anything is this case, the files within the 8320 and the 8820 could be totally different in respect to the UMA client....Kinda like how even if you have all the approp. files you stil can't get MSN Live Messenger on devices not provisioned for it.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-26-07 at 01:42 AM.
    11-26-07 01:32 AM
    This has been discussed on a number of forums. Haven't seen anyone get it working on an 8820. Several tried to convert the certs from the 8320. Still no go.
    11-26-07 07:26 AM
    Will this be possible when T-mobile releases their 8820?
    03-03-08 05:12 PM
    - any news on this?
    03-05-08 04:12 PM
    I've tried to do the same with an 8120 with no luck. at first i wasn't able to install the certificates because it kept asking for a keystore password. everything i tried didn't work. So then I downloaded the phone software for the 8320 from T-mobile and installed the root certificates to my 8120 - that didn't work... but luckily it didn't lock up my phone either!

after further reading, I noticed that the 8120 was UMA capable through Orange UK's "Unique" service. So I wiped my handheld and installed the latest OS Version from Orange. I also added the unlimited blackberry data plan, thinking that would install some needed certificates from T-mobile... still no luck. finally i downloaded the 2 certificates mentioned above again. At least this time i was able to create my own keystore password and successfully download the root and trust certificates... however, still no luck with UMA...

I read someone else that these phones can still make calls over Wifi without the UMA Client and I can definitely tell that my calls are being made over wifi (the up and down arrows disappear when wifi is being used for the call), but they are still being taken out of my minutes. So obviously the feature is available, there is just a disconnect between the phone and T-mobile...
    Last edited by mayesmwhite; 03-13-08 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added info
    03-13-08 04:00 AM
    won't work as T-Mobile doesn't have the 8820. If they get it then it should work. was same for curve when brought over from ATT, no data until they got the Curve as did not have service books
    03-13-08 06:41 AM
    is there anyway to get T-mobile to push the service books for UMA? After I got the data plan a bunch of service books downloaded on my phone.. but none of them read UMA or Hotspot or anything that's noticeably for UMA Service...

I'm gonna try two more things today before I give up...

will post the results..
    03-13-08 07:21 AM
    Hello,
    A brief update, UMA on an 8820 TMO. Solved the certificate problem by installing the above mentioned certs on the PC I am running Desktop Manager on. Also installed 2 more certificates from T-Mobile USA, a semi trust and full trust. Those two certificates were picked up by the device, from TMO when I installed the first certificates. In XP click start, run, type mmc, and add the certificate snapin for current user and local computer. From there navigate to RIMCache and you can see the certificates, aslo in personal certificates and root certificates. But alsas, no UMA, at least not showing. However I have noticed traffic on my acess point when on the phone. UMA does not showup when you navigate to Wi-Fi diagnostics on the device, but traffic on the access point, which is WPA-Personal TKIP.

A TMO rep, in a store in the Detroit are said the 8820 will not be part of their phone offering. Sad, since it is a great smartphone, and ATT said they have no plans to improve their 8820 service. A great phone that was poorly marketed in the US, first by ATT in favor of the Apple iPhone, then by a TMO which said they would but didn't deliver. For me Wi-Fi is a necessity. When I travel, if I were on GPRS I would be charged about $14 a meg for data, including headers, and I don't like to carry a laptop if I don't have to, and now with the battery restriction, a "Blackberry" smartphone with Wi-Fi is the only way to travel.
    03-13-08 08:10 AM
    Ok. I give up. what i tried today was to reinstall the root certificates from the 8320 onto my newly installed 8120 Orange UK OS version. I was hoping that this would install the additional needed certificates to allow T-mobile to pick up the calls made over wifi and charge them accordingly on my bill. I'm assuming this did not work since the two UMA certificates are still showing with a yellow question mark.

Like you said, g2diver, there is definitely traffic over the wifi... so why is it not relaying to T-mobile as a wifi call...?

anyway, i'll accept my defeat, cancel my postpaid acct and go back to flex pay...

I'll check back from time to time tho to see if anyone has made any headway...
    03-13-08 10:36 AM
    Any update now that T-mobile has released their 8820?
    04-05-08 01:33 PM
    Sadly no update. Have the certificates installed, even wiped the OS and installed the T-mobe 8820 OS 4.2.2.193 and still no UMA. I'm more convinced than before that this phone, hardcoded as a 102, ATT, not 100, T-mobile is the key, no matter what certificates are installed. UMA will not show up on a non T-mobile phone. As for activity on the wireless when a call is in session, I will need to conduct a series of tests to confirm that it is UMA. I will post here when done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 10:36 PM
    I want to take advantage of the Tmobile VoIP calling on this unlocked at&t 8820 phone as the WIFI works great - dont want to have to purchase a Tmobile version for $300+ to get this feature to function properly

- Any new updates?
    04-11-08 07:18 PM
    Go to your t mobile account and click plans and services tab their you have to check the check box called BlackBerry Feature Enabler (Free).
    Now remove your battery directly with out shutting down. then keep it again.

Thats it..! You are ready to use Wifi calling (UMA)
    05-08-08 12:05 PM
    Any progress on this? Looking for any reliable reports of T-Mo UMA working on an unlocked AT&T 8820. dan
    06-10-08 02:17 PM
    Ok, so you get the certificates installed, that doesn't tell the phone WHERE to connect in order to make the secured connection. Where is that information?

I currently have a TMobile branded 8900, it does UMA on TMobile. I want the phone to do UMA on Rogers, so I would need any certificates from Rogers, but how does the phone determine which UMA server to connect to over WIFI?
    03-12-09 07:22 PM
    hi i got mine working i pm me and i will try and get u running
    08-05-11 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD