I used Blackberry Video Converter to create an .avi version of a DVD.

I believe it was successful, as the file plays on my laptop.

However the video player on my BB reports an error and won't play it.

It successfully plays an mp4 file I put on it.

Am I missing a codec? Is this normal? Could I have screwed up the converter? - though the fact that it plays on my laptop makes me think not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-07 08:39 PM
    I pretty sure that the BlackBerry won't play anything but .mp4 formats. if you have a DVD, you're going have to convert it to .mp4 and then reload it back onto you're BlackBerry. That's what I would do unless someone else knows a way to get other formats to work as I was unsuccessful playing .avi formats on BlackBerry
    10-15-07 11:47 PM
    I used Blackberry Video Converter to create an .avi version of a DVD.

I believe it was successful, as the file plays on my laptop.

However the video player on my BB reports an error and won't play it.

It successfully plays an mp4 file I put on it.

Am I missing a codec? Is this normal? Could I have screwed up the converter? - though the fact that it plays on my laptop makes me think not.

I use the BB Video Converter also and my Curve plays most videos in .avi with no issues. Once in a while I'll get a bad rip or conversion and the video won't play. Does your memory card have enough free space for the file? I've converted mostly music videos, but did convert and watch a full movie with no problem. Maybe you could try reconverting the file again. Or maybe even try a battery pull to refresh your BB.
    10-16-07 12:35 AM
    Search a round a little in here. I think I read that you can't play .avi videos.

10-16-07 08:45 PM
    Thanks for the responses.

I don't understand though why the BB video converter would specifically create .avi files if a BB couldn't play them?

I must be missing some sort of codec.

If I had a bad conversion I doubt my laptop would play the .avi file, so I don't think that's it either.

I tried the battery pull, no luck.

10-16-07 09:27 PM
    If you own an 8830 and want to play video's, you need to convert them into a .MP4 format. Do NOT bother trying to convert to .AVI format, IT WILL NOT WORK!!! .MP4 {period}! 320 X 240 and 320 X 180 should both work. There are numerous converters available (actually too many for me to feel like listing), try a bunch and buy the one that meets your needs or if you find a nice free one, please post it here along with a brief on features and what you like about it!

I like the Yasa converter so far. Now I have to ask... How come you lazy bastards haven't figured this crap out and posted it yet!?!?! This is the laziest forum that I have even been in!!! Instead of figuring it out and keeping it to yourself (I'm good and now I'm done with crackberry...), post your findings here! This is a community of sorts! Let's make Blackberry better by developing the community. ****!, Palm has us beat on that aspect! Let's take it away and help each other out! That way we all win by getting better support, software and information.
    Last edited by anomalyberry; 11-14-07 at 07:52 PM.
    11-14-07 07:26 PM
    I have an 8800 and the user guide shows that I should be able to watch .avi videos. I also used the Blackberry Video Converter. I have Desktop Manager 4.2, SP 2. When I try to use the Roxio media manager to copy the converted file on to my 8800 I get a file transfer error. The icon for the .avi file in the source folder shows a circle with a line through it. I'm also not able to preview in the media manager. I copied a test file in .wmv format with no problems. I can also preview that clip.

It took about 20-30 minutes to convert the video file. I can play it in Windows Media Manager but cannot see the video (missing a codec).

What am I missing or doing wrong??

Update....apparently, I'm trying to make this more difficult than it really is. Instead of using the Roxio Media Manager to copy the file, I pulled the SD card from the BB, put it in the adapter, stuck it in the slot in my laptop and copied the .avi file using Windows explorer. And, voila, I now have the movie on my 8800.
    Last edited by CrackerBerrySue; 11-18-07 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Update....
    11-18-07 06:31 PM
    anomalyberry...THANK YOU!!! I have been jerking around with the video like a monkey until I realized I needed to put it into 320 X 240.

HUGE help. Thank you- this site rules!!!
    01-31-08 11:09 PM
    I just spent three days trying different trial versions to put dvd movies on my curve and i finally figured it out yesterday.....DVD media studio 3.0 for smartphone.....was the easiest way to do it.....cost me $29.00 online, but was worth it. I ripped an entire movie (213mb) in about 40mins.....just put your movie in your computer, open DVD media studio 3.0 for smartphone, and follow the steps. It will put the movie on your desktop. Connect your BB to your computer, open Windows Explorer, and drag the movie to your BB videos file, thats it!!! Make sure you set your BB Media card (under options) to "enable Mass storage mode when connected" (yes) so your computer can show your BB as a drive: in My Computer. Good Luck!

P.S. BB curve (8320) will play mp4 and 3gp videos
    03-23-08 08:00 AM
    im trying to put a mp4 on my curve 8310 but the video wont show its just a black screen with sound? anyone have that problem? im pretty sure i encoded right.
    04-04-08 12:29 AM
    I have the same problem and I'm starting to get frustrated some please help
    06-02-08 03:11 PM
    hi i have a blackberry curve 8300 and my video recorder says format not supported and also when i go online to view videos same problem still occurs any advice??
    08-18-10 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD