Will my 8830 work ok there or do I need to do anything? I have Verizon and am in the US. I did a search and found one post saying you have to add some service for $20 but another that said it will work fine in North America. ??

Thanks!
    03-26-08 01:08 PM
    I am on Verizon and live in the US. I have family / friends in Toronto - and I speak to someone in Toronto EVERY DAY!!

So, having said that - I can tell you that your phone WILL work from Toronto BUT the calls will.cost.a.small.fortune. if you are not on the right plan.

BEFORE your trip -- go to the Verizon store and have them change your plan to the North America's Choice -- that way you can call back to the US when you are IN Canada and it will be a local call. They will pro-rate. When you return home - go back to the Verizon store and change back your plan.

Hope this helps,
    Ramona Chester NH (Toronto born and raised!!)
    03-26-08 06:44 PM
    Dont forget, bring alot of money for gas..

Our gas prices are crazy right now..
    03-26-08 09:04 PM
    HA, no kidding - I was in Burlington and Toronto last weekend. Lucky to find gas for $1.06/litre.

Ramona Chester NH
    03-26-08 09:51 PM
    Guess it's good I'm not driving there! I'm coming from Georgia to a conference at the Fairmont Royal York. Is there good shopping near there? I think I'm gonna freeze to death! I need indoor activities!!
    03-27-08 12:29 PM
    letrs go for drinks suzanne i pay i love southern accents lol
    and no u wont freeze its not that cold here...
    03-27-08 12:53 PM
    Dont forget to update your PRL before you go. Just dial *228 and press option 2 or just dial *22899. Both do the same thing.

By the way CANADIANS ARE HOT and the accents are soooo sexy!

Just my .02
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 03-27-08 at 01:02 PM.
    03-27-08 12:58 PM
    dude i know im hot but thanks anyway!

ha
    03-27-08 01:02 PM
    Guess it's good I'm not driving there! I'm coming from Georgia to a conference at the Fairmont Royal York. Is there good shopping near there? I think I'm gonna freeze to death! I need indoor activities!!
    Your phone will work flawlessly in Toronto. Keep in mind, long distance charges will apply as usual, but it will work just like it does in the US.

As for shopping, since your staying at the Fairmont Royal York, you won't find a lack of places to shop!
    03-27-08 01:31 PM
    Awesome that you're staying at the Royal York, that place is wonderful and have the nicest/friendliest service (Had an Apple meeting there, it was great!). Since you're right downtown Toronto, you'll me in the middle of everything, basically your playground to do whatever. Hope you have fun!
    03-27-08 04:58 PM
    To the person coming from Georgia ...

You will LOVE Toronto. First off, the Royal York is a charming, top of the line Fairmont Hotel... have stayed there many times with a LOT of wonderful memories. The piano lounge is beautiful, the service is AMAZING, and you will know from the minute you walk in that you are staying at an absolutely first class hotel..

As for Toronto... us "westerners" up in Canuckland (i.e. those of us from BC or Alberta) tend to loathe Toronto... but the reality is TO is great for shopping. At the York, you'll be within walking distance of several malls and both King Street and Queen Street... the latter (Queen Street) is a hub of entertainment and shopping.

Speaking as a guy who owns more shoes than any man should... I LOVE shopping in Toronto!!!!!

Cheers!

Soarin
    03-27-08 06:55 PM
    I just roamed from Seattle to Canada. Really only made one phone call and the charge for two minute call was 1.38 (+ long distance/other charge of .04) for 69 cents per minute (2 cents additional for whatever).
    03-27-08 08:52 PM
    LOL - I don't know about the 'sexy' Canadian accent! We have a Canuck doctor at my hospital and we all make fun of him. He's a goofball, though. ; ) Maybe "aboot" is sexy from a cuter guy.

So I will only get charged for phone calls and my data plan will be ok? I don't want to mess up and have a huge bill!

Thanks for the info about the hotel and area. Sounds like I'll have everything I need. But I'm sure that cold for me is not the same as cold for you!

-suz
    03-31-08 09:25 AM
    Dont forget to update your PRL before you go. Just dial *228 and press option 2 or just dial *22899. Both do the same thing.

By the way CANADIANS ARE HOT and the accents are soooo sexy!

Just my .02

What is PRL? That's updating my Verizon software, right?
    03-31-08 09:28 AM
    have fun in canadaland.
    03-31-08 09:49 AM
    What is PRL? That's updating my Verizon software, right?
    Yes... Sorta. The PRL (Preferred Roaming List) is just the little file in the phone that tells what networks the phone can roam on and also where the latest towers and such are. Just updating that makes sure that you have all the latest roaming info to ensure you have awesome coverage thats all.

Have fun with our northern neighbors!
    03-31-08 11:16 AM

As for Toronto... us "westerners" up in Canuckland (i.e. those of us from BC or Alberta) tend to loathe Toronto...
    Haha... Envy is a mother f----- isn't it?
    04-05-08 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD