Okay, so Im still new at this. I travel quite frequently and have to stay in contact with my people back here in the states. So i invested in the 8830WE. Went to the Middle East---couldnt use it. Went to Mexico---couldnt use it. Went to Guatemala---and i was able to use my phone with no problems whatsoever. Except my phone bill skyrocketed to about $500. What gives?? I understand this phone can be used internationally, but what is the best way for me to do this????
    07-15-08 11:12 AM
    The problem is probably that you're going to countries that use different bands/frequency than that of the 8830. Before you go abroad with your phone, it would be best to check to see if your phone's capabilities are compatible with that country's cellular network.

Also, you should note that you are roaming when out of the country but with some carriers, they have plans for out of country usage which should be cheaper than if you were to just roam. Another solution is IF your 8830 works in that country's network, you could probably find a local SIM and use it that would also reduce charges.
    07-15-08 11:33 AM
    My fiancee has the WE too. We are going to Europe at the end of the year so we are inquiring about this too. I heard that your service provider (ours is Verizon) has a temporary plan you can purchase that will allow for out of country use. Obviously the price will go up for the usage but it may be worth looking into.

I know when we go to Europe we are going to inquire. Let me know if you find out more. There is a previous thread about this too.
    07-15-08 11:35 AM
    You have two main options. The first is to apply international voice and/or data plan with your US carrier. You will retain your US phone number and, It should then work wherever your carrier has coverage. This sounds like it might be the best option for you.

The other option you have is when you travel abroad upon ariving in the foreign country purchse a local pre-paid sim card. This is most likely the cheaper option but you will have a local number and possibly not data depending on the country and provider.

If you already have a international plan make sure you turn on the GSM capabilities of the phone, this might be part of your problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 11:38 AM
    Im going to Mexico next week and im gonna inquire about a sim card. (wonder how to even ask for that in spanish?). I'm connecting in Mexico City so i might be ablke to find something at the airport there. So aside from learning how to ask for a sim card in spanish....i have to actually learn how to use a sim card hahahaha..... I'm such a newbie....
    07-15-08 12:03 PM
    When you use a 3rd party SIM card, make sure you change your connection to GSM. If that country uses CDMA, you might inadvertently pick up a CDMA signal and get charged roaming fees (like I did).

En espanol, pregunta por una "SEEM CHEEP", no "tarjeta de sim". :-)
    07-15-08 01:30 PM
    this is all great advice. I opted to temporarily change my VZN plan to access email while in Spain and place receive calls via roaming. BAD MISTAKE. My phone bill is usually less than 100 but now I come home to a 410 phone bill ouch. my fault not verizon's as they quoted me their fees in advance. It's best to acquire a sim card that works in that country. You can google i.e. sim card for Spain, or whatever country you'll be visiting and they'll deliver the sim card with instructions before your trip. You'll get a new phone number while there but you'll have a phone bill less than your monthly. I can't comment on the unlocking issue as I'm not familiar with this. I'm also not familiar with the pre paids. Rule of thumb......don't roam.
    07-16-08 11:39 AM
    For the person going to europe... Get a local SIM there. I made a BAD mistake and decided not to and came back to a $2000 phone bill (I was gone for 2 months though... Jus got back last monday). I did add the international data plan though so I could still use all of the Blackberry's features. With a local SIM you won't be able to use data, only voice. But I know where I was (france) all incoming calls and texts are free so that alone would have made it worth it to use (I did purchase one but I felt that I was going through credit like crazy since I text a lot so I switched back to my VZW SIM card). Let me know if you have any questions that I may be able to answer for you

07-16-08 05:03 PM
    There's a 1-person cell monopoly in Mexico.

Few oprions ther except to pay Carlos.
    Been this way for a long time.

07-16-08 08:32 PM
    Too lazy to read all posts but "WORLD EDITION" just means you can slot in a SIM card from any country when you can't on most CDMA phones. Like if you're coming to the UK you could get an O2 SIM with a contract or pay as you go just to make calls back home or whatever.
    07-17-08 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD