I did my Crackberry homework and found the "how to clean your trackball thread." I don't want to void the warranty by attempting the trackball cleaning, yet I don't want the hassle of replacing my BB (although I've asked Verizon for the new red one if they really insist on replacing it)!

Of course my life is wrapped up in that BB of mine, and having a faulty trackball is annoying at best. Trying to redo months worth of having programs and settings the way I want them will be far more than annoying.

What would any of you do? Receive a new one for free? Or keep the old one and attempt trackball cleaning (and risk breaking something internally which would REALLY screw up any chances of having it replaced)?

Thanks in advance!
    03-31-08 04:29 PM
    Try pressing in on the trackball, and roll it in the direction it won't go. Try it several times - usually does it.
    sammysociety likes this.
    03-31-08 04:37 PM
    Try pressing in on the trackball, and roll it in the direction it won't go. Try it several times - usually does it.
    Thanks Chaz.... it didn't work, but something else DID. I got an old toothbrush, put it over the trackball, pressed the bristles in a bit and kept turning the toothbrush around the trackball.

The trackball is working fine now. It's apparent that it's dirty inside.

Bye bye sweet red 8830!
    Last edited by KarlyT; 03-31-08 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling mistake!
    bruce816 likes this.
    03-31-08 05:07 PM
    Ya you can use can air and alcohol on a q tip to clean it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bruce816 likes this.
    03-31-08 05:13 PM

Yes I agree that way is the best without taking the BB apart.
    03-31-08 05:17 PM
    The canned air didn't work. I stuck the thin, red tube as close as I could around the trackball, but nothing happened. Guess the air only works when it's apart.
    03-31-08 05:21 PM
    Mine spins all around when I spray the air in

03-31-08 05:23 PM
    The canned air didn't work. I stuck the thin, red tube as close as I could around the trackball, but nothing happened. Guess the air only works when it's apart.

Not necessarily. It just did not work in your case but it has for many others.
    03-31-08 05:23 PM
    Not necessarily. It just did not work in your case but it has for many others.
    Sorry... I quickly realized that I should have reworded my statement after I hit the "submit" button!
    03-31-08 05:49 PM
    I did my Crackberry homework and found the "how to clean your trackball thread." I don't want to void the warranty by attempting the trackball cleaning, yet I don't want the hassle of replacing my BB (although I've asked Verizon for the new red one if they really insist on replacing it)!

Of course my life is wrapped up in that BB of mine, and having a faulty trackball is annoying at best. Trying to redo months worth of having programs and settings the way I want them will be far more than annoying.

What would any of you do? Receive a new one for free? Or keep the old one and attempt trackball cleaning (and risk breaking something internally which would REALLY screw up any chances of having it replaced)?

Thanks in advance!
    If it's like the 8100 Pearl...try a battery pull if you haven't done so already.

Les
    03-31-08 09:00 PM
    I have the sweet red one too. All of a sudden mine would not go in the down direction. PITA. I felt something pop when I was just trying to move the curser around. I figure it is messed up and I will have to go get another phone. This is my 3rd 8830. I really like the BB if it would work for me.
    Last edited by lsumrell; 04-01-08 at 03:20 AM.
    04-01-08 03:16 AM
    The workers at the Verizon store tell me that I should take the new one anyway, even though mine is working now. By doing so, I feel that I risk getting one with a REAL problem.

Should I just go ahead and get the new one under warranty and go through the hassle of setting it up all over again??

04-01-08 01:05 PM
    My BB trackball had stopped moving. No amount of cleaning helped. I got it replaced.

04-01-08 01:23 PM
    I took it off and cleaned it with alcohol. cleaned the ball and the rollers, then snapped it back in place.....very easy
    bruce816 likes this.
    04-01-08 05:44 PM
    The workers at the Verizon store tell me that I should take the new one anyway, even though mine is working now. By doing so, I feel that I risk getting one with a REAL problem.

Should I just go ahead and get the new one under warranty and go through the hassle of setting it up all over again??

Well, if you do decide to get the new one, all you need to do is a backup.
    Then you can restore that to thew new BB. All you'd need to do after that is just enter all the registration codes, as the programs and all your settings will be the same!!
    04-01-08 05:51 PM
    You can also puchase the whole new ball and ring on ebay for 15.00. The removing & cleaning is easy as long as u don't take the ball out of housing. Too many little pieces.

04-01-08 10:54 PM
    Today I noticed my trackball was having a hard time scrolling left, so I finished the text I was in the middle of and turned the phone off, ready to clean the assembly for the third time. The first two times worked fine, q-tip, canned air, a little alcohol, and I was back in business within 5 -10 min. This time after two attempts at cleaning and a battery reset, I was still having issues. I noticed someone mention a toothbrush helped them, so I took my electric toothbrush with a new head, applied to alcohol to the trackball by q-tip, then let the toothbrush go to town on my trackball. By this, I mean really go to town, I was mashing the bristles and scrubbing up, down, left, and right. Suffice to say my trackball hasn't worked this good in months, I am almost sure that I will never take the assembly out of the phone again unless I see a clicking issue arise. But for me, the toothbrush was the key. Good luck.
    bruce816 likes this.
    04-29-08 09:30 AM
    I was all prepared to take my berry apart when I came across this thread while looking up the disassembly thread. I am very glad I did. The tips listed here resolved my issue without taking my precious berry apart. I love my berry, but would have thrown it out the window due to lack of knowledge on what to do when i have a problem. This site and all the addicts here have saved me over and over. Thanks fellow addicts.
    05-05-08 09:19 AM
    Don't forget your PIN will change!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The store is just trying to move inventory. If it breaks again, then get it replaced. Until then, keep crackin'

05-05-08 09:56 PM
    Great suggestions! Without having to take apart the BB, I took a Q-tip with alcohol on it, pressed the trackball in and spun the ball around with the Q-tip. The entire process took about 30 seconds. Whatever dirt was lodged on the trackball dislodged and now I can scroll up again! Thanks!
    nurse63 likes this.
    10-17-08 02:59 PM
    Thanks Chaz.... it didn't work, but something else DID. I got an old toothbrush, put it over the trackball, pressed the bristles in a bit and kept turning the toothbrush around the trackball.

Bye bye sweet red 8830!
    OH MY GOD! The toothbrush solution just fixed it for me! I have a BB Bold and I used my trackball when my hands were a little wet... Then it stopped scrolling up. I just tried the tooth brush trick above and it works fine now! Awesome household item hack! Thanks. :-)
    03-06-09 12:13 PM
    SCHWEET!

I freaked out when my trackball acted all sticky like it had something in it. This fixed it right up! Awesome!
    04-16-09 01:07 AM
    Thanks a million it works
    09-05-09 04:31 PM
    One way that has worked for me, is to find a clean table, or level surface. Put the trackball down on the table, and roll it around. I have had to do this many times with my 8830 and it fixed the issue every time.
    09-06-09 02:35 PM

Bye bye sweet red 8830!

my trackball stopped scrolling up about an hour ago... found this thread... the toothbrush trick worked for me! thaaaaaaanks!!
    09-06-09 08:08 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD