It used to have a nice tactile "click" you could feel (not the audible click from movement) when you pushed it in. Just like when you push a key button. You "felt" it click when you pushed it in.

Mine doesn't do that anymore. And I'm thinking that it seems to sit lower in the housing as well maybe.

Another thread in the pearl forum I saw said they replaced the trackball and it was still not clicking

Getting ready to get some housing parts to replace scratched parts, and not sure I want to do that if this is a precurser to a larger issue than a trackball replacement.

Any comments or advice?
    08-13-08 03:50 PM
    Yeah... check my most recent post here : http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/tra...-issues-60427/

08-13-08 03:51 PM
    Ahh, thank you!

Bummer it's only 5 months old

For some reason, I'm anal (hence the housing replacement) and this certainly bugs me. Wondering if this is a precurser to a failure of that contact on the circuit board... For such a heavy use part, you'd think they'd make it part of the replaceable assembly....

C'mon Bold/Javelin!!!! Be nice to just ditch the 8830 for one....
    08-13-08 04:01 PM
    my trackball seemed to get "stuck" in the depressed position the other night! i was only able to scroll up and i freaked out! it resolved itself in 10 minutes or so but i was very concerned. i'm hoping it was user error due to soco and co!
    08-13-08 04:07 PM
    Hehe... Soco and co, ya... Could happen.

Hate when that stuff happens, you wonder if it's you, or if there is really a problem. Mine are more Jager and Redbull oriented...
    08-13-08 04:12 PM
    Ahh, thank you!

Bummer it's only 5 months old

For some reason, I'm anal (hence the housing replacement) and this certainly bugs me. Wondering if this is a precurser to a failure of that contact on the circuit board... For such a heavy use part, you'd think they'd make it part of the replaceable assembly....

C'mon Bold/Javelin!!!! Be nice to just ditch the 8830 for one....
    you mean kinda like the usb/ charging port???
    08-13-08 04:45 PM
    Yeah, that's a lil loose too...
    08-13-08 04:49 PM
    I agree jdwx, I personally feel they should make a separate "clicky" membrane for the trackball as well, but what can we do?

As for the Bold and Javelin, from looking at pics it seems as if it will be more difficult to replace the trackball... as there is no chrome ring around it holding it in place. I have not gotten any nice close-ups (and def not hands-on)... so I cannot say for sure.

*EDIT* : And all I can say about USB port... is "charging pod!"
    08-13-08 04:56 PM
    Yeah, I guess if they fixed everything I'd want to improve, I'd never need to buy a new phone...
    08-13-08 05:04 PM
    fixed it yet?
    08-14-08 08:33 AM
    That's why I try to use the enter button as much as possible instead of clicking with the trackball and just use the trackball to scroll.

I had that happen on my pearl and wound up getting a new trackball.
    08-14-08 08:51 AM
    fixed it yet?
    Nope, gonna order a trackball maybe.

That's why I try to use the enter button as much as possible instead of clicking with the trackball and just use the trackball to scroll.

I had that happen on my pearl and wound up getting a new trackball.
    So, replacing the trackball fixed the tactile clicky feeling on yours?
    08-14-08 12:07 PM
    Replacing the trackball does not fix the actual feeling or audible 'click' when you press the trackball!

Whoever said that is does, is mistaken and there may have been something else going on. Replacing the trackball has nothing to do with the actual button that is being pressed on the BlackBerry.
    08-14-08 12:14 PM
    Yeah, lookng at it today, it's obvious. A copper membrane style switch mounted directly to the circuit board.

Sadly, I'm noticing now that it sometimes takes a push or two to get it to actuate.

Nice...

Bought this things sealed in box new from an ebay seller. I'll assume RIM would not manufacturer warranty THAT sort of purchased unit... Thoughts?
    08-14-08 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD