Hi everyone,

I am currently on my 3rd blackberry 8830 (2nd refurb) and have yet another problem. The trackball works in all directions and even "selects" when I push down on it, but the actual physical "click" is not there. This means that sometimes even the slightest movement stimulates a click (or multiple) and all sorts of crazy things happen as you can imagine. What I'm thinking is that the springy membraine is somehow broken, yet the contact point still works well...

Is there any way that I can replace the button to return the physical "click in and out?"

I'm off to a telus store now to see what they have to say... but I'm betting on a $700 solution. haha

Thanks in advance!
    09-22-09 06:01 PM
    you would have to exchange the phone, i dont thing you can replace that button inside since is part of the device's motherboard
    09-22-09 06:13 PM
    Thanks for the info. The service department at the store was closed, so the sales rep said come back tomorrow. He said the ball replacement would be $8... obviously not understanding that the ball is not the problem. We'll see what happens then.
    09-22-09 06:24 PM
    yea just speak to the service department person better, reps sometimes don't understand.. good luck!
    09-22-09 06:25 PM
    Do not take it to the verizon on butler road in forest city north carolina! I had the same thing happen to a pearl of mine I was using, so I took it in to have them look at it and the idiots try putting a new trackball in(after I say its not the trackball, and with great detail, describe to her what the problem is). I get my phone back, and my trackball doesn't respond at all now. The lady tries to calm me by saying "its just an old phone and things will begin to go on it". Yeah I know this, but over time. Not conveniently right after you take it apart. So, that day I went in with a fuctional blackberry and walked out with one that I could only use to make calls. Leaving me no option but to buy another blackberry. So I know have the 8830. This phone is the true epitomy of what blackberry is!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 01:42 PM
    My old 8310 did this and it finally stopped selecting - not saying yours will do this, just mine.

I got it fixed at PDA Repair World - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices They did a good fast job for me but were not cheap.
    09-26-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD