First post of what I am sure will be many. Yesterday my 8830 started to open up applications on its own and send messages during the middle of me typing them. It stopped and I let it sit and it began to open up applicaitons on its own. I locked it and it kept going to the unlock screen unassisted. I believe the trackbar is malfunctioning but I just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone else had the same isssue. I can't get a insurance replacement until tuesday due to the holiday weekend.
    05-23-08 03:41 PM
    Pulll the battery with the device on, leave out for 30 seconds and reinstall it. Then go to Options > Status and see what the Free memory is. It needs to be a minimum of 10 000 000. If so, you need to read and do this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    05-23-08 08:31 PM
    I had the exact same problem. Constant text messages being sent, opening up random apps on its own. Took it into Verizon, and they told me the phone had some type of virus, and replaced it with a new one.
    05-26-08 09:44 AM
    I had this happen too. Eventually the track ball just stopped working. I took about three days for fed-ex to get my phone from verizon to me because the store by my hos does not carry replacement smart phones.
    05-26-08 10:01 AM
    My 8830 started doing this a few days ago. I cleaned the trackball and it was okay yesterday. Then this morning while sitting on my table, the phone woke up and started going through all my email and marked all as read. It seemed okay after another battery pull, but just 2 minutes ago the thing woke up and started trying to send emails. I pulled the battery to make it stop. End and other keys wouldn't stop it.

I had it in my coat pocket last week in cold weather (freezing temps). The phone started acting up right after it was exposed to the cold temps. Could the temperature have damaged the phone? I wouldn't think so.

Any chance this is truly a virus?

I checked and had only 8.7MB free memory, so I dumped some apps and am now above 10MB. Will see if that makes a difference.
    11-18-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD