Hey guys.. I'm a newbie (at least going to be)... making the jump from my Treo to my very first blackberry (verizon 8830 when it comes out)
    I was wondering if its possible to get threaded sms like my treo on the blackberry...

thanks
    05-24-07 10:43 AM
    YES! On the 4.2 O.S (8800 & 8100 Pearl) it comes that way by default. There is also an option to say, "keep the last X number of messages from a user" thus giving it the threaded look & feel...

I love it! Sometimes you send someone an sms message, and it takes them forever to reply, and you have no idea what they are talking about. But, because of this feature, it helps...
    05-25-07 07:50 AM
    do you know where to find that particular option?
    05-28-07 11:56 AM
    Options / SMS Text / Number of Previous Items...
    raino likes this.
    05-28-07 12:14 PM
    thanks... im pretty new at this... my first blackberry... coming off a treo.. and loving it..

but just to make sure.. i set that number to what.. 1...
    05-29-07 08:00 AM
    It is not a true threading program like a treo, Iphone or WM5 applications. You must keep all of the older messages in your in box in order the read the conversation. This is a very messy way to do it. Your inbox is soon filled with hundreds of messages. As someone who sends lots of text messages it would be nice if someone came out with a true SMS threading solution to this so the messages read like an IM conversation. You would have a screen that shows you your currrent ongoing conversations:

Susan Smith
    Jack Thompson
    Bob Williams

You click on Bon Williams and would see...

Bob: What you are doing to tonight
    Me: Nothing. Hanging in.
    Bob: What to go have a drink?
    Me: No thanks. Staying in.

There would be no other sign of the individual messages that clutter up the inbox. Can't wait until someone designs a software fix for this. I'm surprised that BB doesn't offer it when every other top end phone does.

My two cents

Brad
    09-23-07 01:40 PM
    I have the BB8830 and i delete messeges (SMS) after reading them but when i recieve a new one it does still show the previous 5 ( that is the number of I have set). So from my point of veiw it still works even though you delete them out of your inbox.
    09-23-07 03:43 PM
    I sure wish someone from BB would read your "two cents". I had a Treo for many years and switched to BB about 6 months ago. The lack of a truly threaded SMS app is something I won't get used to. Overall, I really love the phone but this is a horrible oversight. I still can't find an aftermarket app to perform this task either.
    10-02-07 07:56 PM
    Brad,

I just made the change from a Treo 700p to the BB8830 and dont recall ever being so pissed as I am now.

How can this phone not have threaded text messages?!?!??! I cannot believe it was developed without this, its horrible. I text message alot and now I have a cluster **** of messages instead of having a clean one contact thread. To top it off if I feel like erasing a conversation, I have to spend a horrible amount of time erasing particular messages. HORRRRIBLE!!!

My other complaint: guess what is threaded, the CALL LOG!! Oh man, now when I get a call from a person and then they call me back I only see the last call they made to me. I have to go click on their name and then "View History" (are you kidding me?)

I wish someone would open RIM's eyes about this issue!

miss u treo
    03-06-08 07:49 PM
    I understand what you are saying. I like the way when I get a text message it has the previous threads of what I said earlier. I have received a text from someone, as what was mentioned above, and had no idea what they were talking about.

I also have an iPhone. I like the way the text messages are in this phone, but at the same time I don't (love hate relationship).

Technology is getting better, maybe this "9000" is gonna be a better phone...who knows...

I don't like the idea of a side slide keyboard though (only if it's sideways). I like a top slide keyboard (kinda like Cingulars Siemens SX66 they had for what... 2 months).

msblueline
    03-11-08 01:55 PM
    The show last xxx is NOWHERE near the actual conversation style of the Treo.

Palm ABSOLUTELY KILLS BB in that area.

If you never used a Treo, i suggest going to a store, checking out the SMS messaging layout. Its simply AMAZING.

THat is the only thing i miss everyday about my Treos.
    03-11-08 01:58 PM
    The show last xxx is NOWHERE near the actual conversation style of the Treo.

Palm ABSOLUTELY KILLS BB in that area.

If you never used a Treo, i suggest going to a store, checking out the SMS messaging layout. Its simply AMAZING.

THat is the only thing i miss everyday about my Treos.
    Absolutely agree. The one thing I miss also. (not enough to go back or anything.)
    03-11-08 02:38 PM
    aside from the threaded SMS, is there any way i can get the BB to type more than 160 characters then break them up? I used to have a Treo 700wx which did not have the threaded SMS and then moved to a XV6800 which didnt have threaded SMS either, but had the ability to allow me to type an SMS as long as i wanted, but then broke it up to multiple SMS then send them out.

thx!
    04-08-08 02:49 AM
    does anybody know if this is a problem with copyright laws?

is it possible to develop a 3rd party app for BB to use? If so, i will invest the time to find developers and the money to get it done.
    04-22-08 12:53 PM
    I had a Treo 700wx and found a app somebody created for threaded sms and it worked great. Somebody needs to do the same for the BB. This is killing me.
    09-09-08 07:18 PM
    Hi all, we've launched our Blackberry Threaded SMS app officially. Pls visit www[dot]3jam[dot]com/blackberry . Thanks!
    01-14-09 06:35 AM
    Hi all, we've launched our Blackberry Threaded SMS app officially. Pls visit www[dot]3jam[dot]com/blackberry . Thanks!
    its prtty neat its exactly what i want ! should be a standard feature but if it works its worth it !

how do i disable the led notifications. and set the tones etc ?
    08-08-09 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD