I thought I'd whip this up for all of you new users with the 8820, but who don't have a data plan, and don't want to pay for OTA charges. I just bought my 8820 (Ebay, yay) and wanted to clear up some things for all of the other new users who were confused like myself. Everything here has been culled and compiled from the CrackBerry forums during my lurking here. I hope it's a good first post!

Question: Do I need a data plan to surf the internet/check email with the Blackberry 8820?

Answer: No, but there are a few caveats.

First of all, the Blackberry 8820 is designed for users with the Blackberry/Data plans. If you don't have the BB or Data plans, and don't want to use OTA data, then many application's won't function. Push email, Gmail, Google Maps, etc will not work over Wi-Fi, no matter how hard you wish it. To use these, you'll have to use the browser and go to each site's actual homepage. Yes, the Gmail app is nice, but using Google Mail will have to suffice. No, BB Maps will not work, either. Sorry.

If a rep is telling you that you need the data plan to use the Wi-Fi feature, they are either A: Dumb, B: Confused, or C: Mean. Do not believe them.

Question: I'm afraid of getting data charges, and I hear the Blackberry 8820 accesses data even when I'm not using it. Can I stop this?

Answer: Yes

Some users have reported data charges on their bill, even when they don't actively use data-based services. The quick and easy way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to call AT&T and have them disable internet. To check if it's truly disabled, log in to your online account and look at your "Rate Plans and Features" details. You should see an entry for "WIX Blocked" or "WIX Disabled." In plainspeak, "WIX" essentially means "Pay-Per-Use Internet". Having this disabled shuts off all extra data, while still allowing you to SMS and MMS (if you have any one of the text plans enabled).

The second, not to mention obtrusive, annoying, and impractical, method is to disable the phone's connection to the cell network entirely. You can do this by going to Connection Settings -> Turn off mobile network. Of course, you can't make or receive calls like this, and it shouldn't be necessary. Just putting this there for the paranoid ones browsing CrackBerry.

Question: Help! I've shut of my PPU internet, disabled my cell connection, and STILL don't have a good connection to my Wi-Fi network!

Answer: That's not really a question, but okay.

First, make sure your VPN is disabled. Go to Options -> Security Options -> VPN -> Uncheck/Disable VPN.

Second, make sure your browser is configured correctly. Go to Settings -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Browser -> Default Browser Configuration - set to Wi-Fi Browser.

Question: I just bought a Blackberry 8820, and my monthly rate has increased? What happened?

Answer: A lot of the time, when you buy a Blackberry from an AT&T store, the rep will automatically add the Blackberry email/data plan to your account. You can call and get this plan cancelled, but it may take some rigmarole, and possibly an escalation to a supervisor. As with the first question: If the rep tries to convince you that the BB plan is required, they're lying. You may have to simply tell them "NO," because they'll push it hard. The same thing happens with some users that buy an iPhone and suddenly find a $64.99 WiFi/Data plan the next month.

Question: Can I use Opera Mini over Wi-Fi?

Answer: No.
    Last edited by Geirskogul; 03-11-08 at 09:52 AM.
    03-07-08 01:27 AM
    Nice write up.
    03-07-08 01:57 AM
    what do you mean by "To be extra sure, also disable the EDGE network.
    ".... Is it possible o do so ? If we can disable the edge network through settings, then why bother to cancel the ppu internet from the plan? why not just keep the edge network disconnected so that your phone never sends data through the edge no extra charge?
    03-07-08 07:44 AM
    Whoops. That's what I get for copying/pasting when it's 1 AM. Fixed.

I compiled this because there seems to be a LOT of confusion about Wi-Fi and data charges. Not just here, but everywhere the 8820 is mentioned.

Edit: Whoa, second on Google for "8820 question."
    Last edited by Geirskogul; 03-07-08 at 08:50 PM.
    03-07-08 11:17 AM
    So what apps as of this time work over wifi, if you don't have a data plan? Isn't there way to make some wrapper so that apps don't know the difference between wifi and the data plan?
    03-10-08 12:21 PM
    Almost no apps work over Wi-Fi. Anything designed with the data/bb plan in mind (basically, anything except the browser itself, on my phone) won't work without data. And, if you're wondering, there is no hack for OperaMini or BB maps yet. You'd best be looking at third party programs, but seeing as the 8820 has been out since June and there aren't any good Wi-Fi apps yet, I doubt more will surface.
    03-10-08 10:46 PM
    Almost no apps work over Wi-Fi. Anything designed with the data/bb plan in mind (basically, anything except the browser itself, on my phone) won't work without data. And, if you're wondering, there is no hack for OperaMini or BB maps yet. You'd best be looking at third party programs, but seeing as the 8820 has been out since June and there aren't any good Wi-Fi apps yet, I doubt more will surface.
    So this means that the Opera Mini ONLY works over EDGE and not WiFi? I was gonna start a seperate thread about that because I dont get a WiFi icon when I use it like when I use the "browser", not the MediaNet, but the generic browser.
    03-11-08 09:40 AM
    You are correct. No Wi-Fi with Omini
    03-11-08 09:51 AM
    You are correct. No Wi-Fi with Omini

Bummer, its the only useful browser!! Are there any other browsers that are comparable to it that use WiFi?
    03-11-08 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD