Can someone point me in the direction of some step-by-step instructions for tethering my 8830 to my laptop using the USB cable.
    07-31-07 11:03 AM
    Hmm, sorry to say, am not sure about this. But, am sure someone will be along shortly to assist...
    07-31-07 11:51 AM
    You have to make sure you have the Blackberry Desktop Manager loaded on your laptop/pc.
    07-31-07 11:53 AM
    ^^ and then how do yo uget it to tether?? I loaded the destop manager, as well as the software that verizon sent me to teather with, but i still can't get it to connect to the internet.

Any help is appreciated.

J
    07-31-07 12:27 PM
    So there is another bit of software from Verizon that you need for this? Ill have to get my boss on this and make sure he actually subscribed for this feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-07 07:46 PM
    You do not use Blackberry Desktop for tethered operation, you use VZAccess Manager. You have to download it from the Verizon site. After you install it, you must enter your phone number to create the log on.

You must be subscribed to the tethered service for $15 per month, otherwise I doubt the software will authenticate you.

I have this option and it really works well for me. I travel to several locations with either sketchy internet service in the hotel rooms or no Internet access. So far, it has worked.

The download speed is about 500 kbp/s which is just fine for web use.
    08-01-07 09:30 AM
    Nicely done, dlathem! I think a lot of people will benefit from this information...
    08-01-07 09:52 AM
    Thanks dlathem, now just need to get subscribed.
    08-01-07 11:57 AM
    Thanks dlathem, now just need to get subscribed.
    It's ONLY money!
    08-01-07 08:06 PM
    When I got my 8330 a week ago, first they told me I'd get tethering to try for free for 30 days, but when he rang up the sale he found out that "deal" had expired July 1. So, yeah, you have to have VZAccess Manager installed AND you have to pay the extra $15/month.
    I thought the software was on one of the CD's that came with my 8830, but regardless you CAN download it from BlackBerry 4.x Software Download.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-02-07 at 11:35 AM. Reason: ...edited link name.
    08-02-07 10:48 AM
    If you have a bluetooth radio on your laptop, you can tether via the bluetooth Dial-Up-Networking (DUN) service without vzw access manager installed.

Be warned, however, that you may be charged for tethering data per kilobyte if you do not have the tethering option on your plan.

VZW Access manager sometimes butts heads with some VPN software, in which case, you can use a bluetooth DUN instead of the usb tethering as a backup.

Settings:

After you have sucessfully paired your laptop to your 8830 via bluetooth:
    1) Dialup username is your full 10 digit verizon cellphone number @vzw3g.com
    example: 9195551212@vzw3g.com
    password is your 10 digit phone number example: 9195551212
    2) number to dial is #777

This seems to work quite well, the only drawback is if you aren't hooked up over usb, then you are using your blackberry's battery and this can run it down in a matter of hours of being connected.

I have actually managed to connect with the #777 and no username and password using a palm TX, however I would be careful of doing this if you do not have the tethering option enabled on your plan, again it could be a high charge on your next bill.
    08-06-07 02:08 PM
    ARGH! I need some help. I have the VZW 8830 and was successfully tethering until last night. I did not have the BB desktop manager installed, but was successfully going through the VZAcess manager. Wanted to download an alert software and read that I needed to install the BB Desktop manager first. I had the software on a disk -new with the 8830 and installed it. Immediatly after installing it I could no longer tether to the internet. I am now at work and the trouble is that I can't get online at home - where my problems are. What should I do? Also, I spent FOREVER on the phone with verizon texch support last night. They said that they were configured correctly and it was a software problem from BB. I keep getting an error message that the VZAccess manager no longer rocognizes that my BB is plugged into the USB. I have tried to uninstall the BB desktop in hopes that things might go back to normal, but no such luck. Not sure what I screwed up, had the BB plugged in and wonder if I reconfigured settings or something. I have done a battery pull. The computer keeps telling me that it isn't recognizing the BB when pluged in. The BB still works fine for browseing, phoning and such, but not at all for tethering. Any ideas?
    08-07-07 09:54 AM
    Paradox606.. thank you for the tethering info... thought I was going to be able to do it, but got a pop-up: Verizon could not verify the username password on this domain? Any ideas? For Username, I entered my cell# + vzw3g.com and for password: my cell#... any help would be appreciated... John
    10-18-07 10:14 AM
    It's been a long time since I set this up manually but I believe the password is "vzw" lower case.
    10-18-07 08:01 PM
    why bother using VZaccess manager?

DUN (dial up networking) is enabled on the 8830.

I use the bluetooth profile and have it dial #777. Works fine for me
    10-21-07 03:34 AM
    ARGH! I need some help. I have the VZW 8830 and was successfully tethering until last night. I did not have the BB desktop manager installed, but was successfully going through the VZAcess manager. Wanted to download an alert software and read that I needed to install the BB Desktop manager first. I had the software on a disk -new with the 8830 and installed it. Immediatly after installing it I could no longer tether to the internet. I am now at work and the trouble is that I can't get online at home - where my problems are. What should I do? Also, I spent FOREVER on the phone with verizon texch support last night. They said that they were configured correctly and it was a software problem from BB. I keep getting an error message that the VZAccess manager no longer rocognizes that my BB is plugged into the USB. I have tried to uninstall the BB desktop in hopes that things might go back to normal, but no such luck. Not sure what I screwed up, had the BB plugged in and wonder if I reconfigured settings or something. I have done a battery pull. The computer keeps telling me that it isn't recognizing the BB when pluged in. The BB still works fine for browseing, phoning and such, but not at all for tethering. Any ideas?
    Try running the Desktop Manager program and keeping it running (in the backround) while you're using the 8830 as a modem. Having Desktop Manager running "activates" the USB drivers for the 8830. If you were able to set it up with BT, then you wouldn't need to have Desktop Manager running at the same time, as you are using the BT drivers on both devices, but since you're using a USB cable, you need the computer to boot up the USB modem drivers.

The only thing that I can think of that may have caused VZAccess Manager to not recognize your BB as a modem anymore is that perhaps you installed a memory card and "activated" the BB as a mass storage device - which would effectively turn off the modem drivers? But I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

tomtheguitarguy
    10-22-07 06:17 PM
    Being of simple mind, I need someone to help me with the tethered modem concept. I pay verizon $40 plus for data service for my phone, but if I connect the phone and data to my laptop, I owe them another $15 a month? Does that mean that if I fill my car with gas and siphon gas from my car to run my lawnmower that I need to go back to the station to pay them for what I siphoned? Just curious........
    10-22-07 07:51 PM
    Being of simple mind, I need someone to help me with the tethered modem concept. I pay verizon $40 plus for data service for my phone, but if I connect the phone and data to my laptop, I owe them another $15 a month? Does that mean that if I fill my car with gas and siphon gas from my car to run my lawnmower that I need to go back to the station to pay them for what I siphoned? Just curious........
    No but it means that if while at the gas station you fill up a long line of cars you have to pay for the gas you took. Even though I believe VZW charges too much I do understand their logic. They sell a broadband service for computer users at $59.99, they sell unlimited data to smart phone users at $44.99. Now if you tether your smart phone to a computer your load on their system is going to resemble a computer user not a smartphone user so they charge you the difference $15.00. At $44.99 you are paying for unlimited data use on a smart phone not unlimited data use on a computer which can be greatly larger.
    10-23-07 03:42 PM
    I am familiar with tethering and have done so successfully with and without VZAccess. I just purchases an 8830, paid for tethering and and unable to do this without the USB cable.

Under bluetooth devices/Blackberry 8830 Services, it does not list DUN or dialup networking.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    11-16-07 06:24 PM
    I'm trying to get a co-worker set up to tether with his 8830 on Verizon.

I have an AT&T 8800 and had to add the following string to the Standard Modem in Device Manager - AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

Do I have to enter the same info for Verizon, and if so what's the last bit of the string for Verizon?

Thanks
    12-12-07 01:03 PM
    Bump?

Thanks
    12-18-07 02:26 PM
    This may not be the answer you want but the simplist way to set up the tether is to install Verizon's Access Manager on the computer. It will set up the DUN connection for you. Coming from Windows Mobile and having set up several of my phones manually I thought it would be no big deal with the BB but I could not get it to work without using Access Manager. Besides the Access Manager is a pretty neat little program that manages the connection and hasn't given me any problems since I installed it back in May.
    12-18-07 07:43 PM
    How about Shark Modem? I used it for the trial period and it worked great - is there any risk involved here? I haven't purchased it yet and the trial period is over.
    12-20-07 08:44 AM
    If you have a bluetooth radio on your laptop, you can tether via the bluetooth Dial-Up-Networking (DUN) service without vzw access manager installed.

Be warned, however, that you may be charged for tethering data per kilobyte if you do not have the tethering option on your plan.

VZW Access manager sometimes butts heads with some VPN software, in which case, you can use a bluetooth DUN instead of the usb tethering as a backup.

Settings:

After you have sucessfully paired your laptop to your 8830 via bluetooth:
    1) Dialup username is your full 10 digit verizon cellphone number @vzw3g.com
    example: 9195551212@vzw3g.com
    password is your 10 digit phone number example: 9195551212
    2) number to dial is #777

This seems to work quite well, the only drawback is if you aren't hooked up over usb, then you are using your blackberry's battery and this can run it down in a matter of hours of being connected.

I have actually managed to connect with the #777 and no username and password using a palm TX, however I would be careful of doing this if you do not have the tethering option enabled on your plan, again it could be a high charge on your next bill.
    I had to register to this great site. But I had to do it because of this post. I needed to get my Palm LifeDrive tethered through Bluetooth with my Blackberry for some time now (even after changing my Verizon plan to allow for tethering). I've gone through several instructions on various Palm sites, but it was this very post that finally got me up and running! ON THE FIRST TRY!

So I just wanted to say, thank you paradox 606!
    02-22-08 01:47 PM
    No but it means that if while at the gas station you fill up a long line of cars you have to pay for the gas you took. Even though I believe VZW charges too much I do understand their logic. They sell a broadband service for computer users at $59.99, they sell unlimited data to smart phone users at $44.99. Now if you tether your smart phone to a computer your load on their system is going to resemble a computer user not a smartphone user so they charge you the difference $15.00. At $44.99 you are paying for unlimited data use on a smart phone not unlimited data use on a computer which can be greatly larger.
    So does this mean that tethering data on the laptop is unlimited?
    11-22-09 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD