I'm tethering right now on the road using my laptop via my blackberry internet (verizon, if it matters).

I'm trying to send mail via outlook as usual (on my laptop), but my messages are stuck in my outbox. I should mention it's a gmail account, if that matters.

what outgoing server setting should i have? currently outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com

check box for my outgoing server smtp requires authentication.
    check box for 'use same settings as my incoming mail server'

what do i need to do to get this mail sent!?
    02-09-08 11:36 AM
    All those settins should be correct. You're definatly using Outgoing SMTP Auth so there shouldn't be a problem. If this works at your home or office via other ISPs then it should work though Verizon's tethered as well. Do you get an error from the gmail smtp server? It's also possible that Verizon has turned off port 25 on their tethered ISP network. If so, you're screwed because obviously you won't be able to send via smtp port (25). If that's the case, some places allow you to use another port other then 25, but the listening smtp server must use that same port. I don't know if gmail's servers have such a settings. You could check in the POP3 settings under options on the gmail account online via your browser.

Also, try disconnecting and connecting again. Could just be a borked connection. Also, could be the size of your email if there's an attachment on it. And as always, check to make sure you don't have a messed up syntax on the email address it's going to. Test an email to yourself and see how it does. That will tell you immediately if it's something else or possibly what I listed above, but your Outbox must be clear to send the test to yourself reliably since outgoing mail is "First come first serve".... your test one won't leave if there's others malformed ones in front of it. Good luck.
    02-09-08 12:03 PM
    server: smtp.gmail.com is correct; make sure port is set to 587

Security: use tls connection
    02-09-08 12:06 PM
    Another test option you have is to telnet to the smtp server name/address and it's port and see if you can make a connecton. If not, then Verizon is blocking that port on the network or the server is down (highly unlikely, but possible). Hack, ping smtp.gmail.com and see what it gets ya for starters.
    02-09-08 12:31 PM
    I'm planning to get a Blackberry, probably an 8830, but read on the Verizon Wireless plan footnotes that tethering to a laptop is not authorized for any reason other than to sync data. Has anyone tried tethering in order to provide Internet web browsing on a laptop? Does it work? If not, does anyone know any tricks to get it to work?
    02-09-08 08:57 PM
    On the SMTP question:

With some outgoing servers the IP address that the BB has when tethered is rejected. If that is the case you can use VZW's SMTP server.
    name: smtp.vzwmail.net
    username: (mobile number..no dashes or spaces)@vzwmail.net
    password: your my account or vtext password.
    That should get you going.

On the second question:
    You can use your BB as a modem, and it does very well, but you have to pay an additional $15 a month for the tethering feature.
    02-09-08 09:43 PM
    I have a 8703e with the Shark modem software and I can get my outlook mail when teathered to my laptop, BUT, I can not send it? Help please

Tom

On the SMTP question:

With some outgoing servers the IP address that the BB has when tethered is rejected. If that is the case you can use VZW's SMTP server.
    name: smtp.vzwmail.net
    username: (mobile number..no dashes or spaces)@vzwmail.net
    password: your my account or vtext password.
    That should get you going.

On the second question:
    You can use your BB as a modem, and it does very well, but you have to pay an additional $15 a month for the tethering feature.
    11-12-08 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD