The problem that I am having is that I want to use my BB (verizon) as a tethered modem on my laptop but need to use that connection in a Virtual PC. Virtual PC does not allow to map to physical USB device so I need a way to share the connection (dial up networking - DUN) between the actual OS and the Virtual OS or a process for having the Virtual PC recognize the USB port (which from my current reading is not possible). The "phone as modem" works fine for the real OS.

My service is through Verizon and I am using the 8830 WE.

Thanks for any help.

Kent
    01-06-08 09:35 PM
    This sounds more like a Virtual PC issue then a BB issue, it just happens that your using a BB as a modem, it's the Virtual PC thats stopping you from doing it...maybe this would be better addressed in a Virtual PC forum, rather then a BB forum.
    01-07-08 12:20 AM
    To be honest, this should be rather easy. When you tether the initlal PC/Laptop, it will create a network connection. In the Virtual PC setup you have the option of selecting which network connection to share, and this is where you would seleect that one.
    01-07-08 02:11 AM
    blaze,
    Thanks. I completely agree that this is a virtual PC issue and not a BB specific issue, but was hoping that a user may have faced this previsously and come up with a work around.

jtodaro,
    Good try but... It shows up on the host PC as a DUN connection not a network connection and therefore cannot be selected in the list of network connections in the Virtual PC.
    01-07-08 07:59 AM
    Well, I was able to get it working. If you set the first network connection in VPC settings as being "Shared Networking (NAT)" then it can share the network connection from the host. I read but did not confirm that it must be the only connection on the VPC and that the connection must be initiated before the VPC is started.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and I hope this helps others.
    01-18-08 11:45 PM
    thanks. I'm gonna try this with my 9700 and use virtualpc at work to download torrents.
    08-12-10 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD