Okay, guys. Love the forum. Tons of good information and I'm hoping someone here will have an answer for me.

I have the BB 8830 WE with voice and unlimited data service through Verizon. I have just now attempted to use the BB as a tethered modem for my laptop but everytime I attempt to connect through the VZ Access Manager, I get an error that says "Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain". I was never asked for a username and/or password, so I was confused.

Well, I e-mailed the Verizon helpdesk for help. They said that I had to pay $15/month to use the phone as a tethered modem for my laptop. Is this true? Is this yet another feature that Verizon used as a marketing lure only to come back and tell you after you're hooked that you have to pay more money to access it (i.e., GPS)? I am extremely frustrated and don't want to pay any more/month to Verizon as I already am paying approx. $130/month. Anyone else have this experience? Is my only solution to pay the $15/month more?
    01-21-08 11:24 AM
    Is my only solution to pay the $15/month more?
    Unfortunately yes. Otherwise if you were somehow able to tether without signing up, Verizon would eventually catch you and slap a VERY hefty bill on you.
    01-21-08 11:30 AM
    Yep, with Verizon you gotta pay. (for everything!)
    01-21-08 12:14 PM
    I recently "upgraded" from the Verizon XV-6700 Windows Mobile Pocket PC to the 8830. It was actually a huge downgrade, though. I lost my 2000 free text messages, my tethering, wi-fi, and got a crippled GPS.

My 6700 required the dial-in EVDO connection, so whenever I browsed the web on the device, it connected using #777. That meant that it was impossible for Verizon to distinguish whether I was using the mobile browser, or tethering and using it as a modem (provided I didn't do anything that would attract attention by using up enormous amounts of bandwidth).

Unfortunately, with the Blackberry, it is always connected, and doesn't use the #777 dial-up networking number for anything except tethering. Therefore, your user name and password are disabled by default. To enable it, you you need to call Verizon and sign up for the $15 per month feature in addition to the unlimited data plan you're already paying... It's legalized extortion if you ask me, but I'm locked into Verizon because they have the best coverage in my area.

Anyway, I called Verizon to ask about it, and they gave me a 1 month free trial of the tethering service. Then I had to dial *228 to update my phone's programming. I'm hoping that means that the changes it made were local and permanent, because after this trial there's no way I'm paying another $15 per month for something that I'm already paying $45 a month for.

Best of luck with your tethering endeavors,
    Binx
    01-21-08 02:22 PM
    There is no local feature. After the first free month you will be billed $15 a month. If you cancel after the free month you won't be able to connect.
    01-21-08 03:20 PM
    Received first bill since getting the 8330. They're charging me $44.99 for data plan. Isn't it supposed to be 29.99? I assume data plan includes web and email. HELP! They told me 29.99 in the store. Don't want tethering.
    Last edited by Mykiss; 01-28-09 at 03:00 PM.
    01-28-09 02:49 PM
    Awww...you sound so hopeless!! Lol...

I can't believe I'm about to dictate this, but...I want you to follow my lead.

Take a look at your bill, and inspect the breakdown of exactly WHAT you're being billed for.

Your invoice should show you the plan you've subscribed to, as well as the associated charges and fees.

If this does not help you, call VZW CS, and speak to a rep - ask him/her to kindly go over the bill with you, and if necessary you can adjust your plan accordingly.

Good luck!

-Michael

Received first bill since getting the 8330. They're charging me $44.99 for data plan. Isn't it supposed to be 29.99? I assume data plan includes web and email. HELP! They told me 29.99 in the store. Don't want tethering.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:31 PM
    I think they are coming out with a bb version which will fix all this.

I used the version for Centro and treo and it worked GREAT!!!
    01-29-09 10:27 AM
    I connected my Pearl and Got Access Immediatly not sure if it will work for Other Carriers But it's worth a shot

Sprint SmartView for Windows�
    Download this software to create a high-speed Internet connection for your computer anywhere on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network with your Smartphone with a Phone as Modem Plan.
    Sprint SmartView features:

* One-click activation for supported devices
    * GPS features and services are available at the touch of a button for GPS-capable devices
    * Easy connections to Sprint WiFi networks around the globe, available on a pay-as-you-go basis
    * Access to Sprint support services and tools via the Application section
    * Enterprise custom configuration available�business customers, please contact your Sprint Account Manager for details

Special Instructions:

* Windows Vista users, when installing, right click on the file and select the option "Run as Administrator."
    * For a full list of supported devices, click here.

Technical Specifications:
    Dated: 10/30/2008
    Software Version: 1.20.0016.0
    OS Supported: OS Supported: Windows 2000, XP (32 bit), and Vista (32 and 64 bit)
    User Guide (2 MB)

Download (37.4 MB)
    01-29-09 12:09 PM
    Longtime lurker here...

I'm trying to figure this out, and can't seem to get it. Do I really have to spend the 15 per month on tethering? Is this fee the same fee whether the phone is being tethered internationally or domestically (assuming you already have the 69.99 international data plan)?

Final question... what is my bluetooth code? I can't seem to sync my computer and 8830, i've tried 0000, and it didn't work.

TIA
    05-02-09 09:42 PM
    I think for verizon you may have to pay.... I know alot of sprint users myself included have found a work around for it.

Longtime lurker here...

I'm trying to figure this out, and can't seem to get it. Do I really have to spend the 15 per month on tethering? Is this fee the same fee whether the phone is being tethered internationally or domestically (assuming you already have the 69.99 international data plan)?

Final question... what is my bluetooth code? I can't seem to sync my computer and 8830, i've tried 0000, and it didn't work.

TIA
    05-02-09 10:44 PM
    I think for verizon you may have to pay.... I know alot of sprint users myself included have found a work around for it.
    Thanks. Anyone with Verizon know for sure? Also, anyone know the passcode for bluetooth on the 8830 WE (verizon)? I tried 0000 and it didn't work.
    05-04-09 01:47 PM
    Thanks. Anyone with Verizon know for sure? Also, anyone know the passcode for bluetooth on the 8830 WE (verizon)? I tried 0000 and it didn't work.
    I'm on the same boat. And I'll even pay to get my free tethering back!

I've searched all over the net and haven't found anything so i give up. So if anybody knows the trick for VZ and wants to make some green, contact me pronto.
    05-04-09 10:40 PM
    Don't know anything of a back door for the tethering charges, sorry.
    I do know that the default bluetooth passcode for almost every mobile device I've seen (to include my 8830WE) is 0000. If that's not working, you may have accidentally changed it or something is wrong with your device/computer.
    05-14-09 04:01 PM
    i know this is a old question...but wanted to get an answer for that...
    I know you guys might know about it...but would this work for tethering ???
    its from tetherberry (tetherberry.com)
    if i were to one pay $50 fee ...would i be good on my BB ??? as the above link claims it uses the data plan....would i still get charged from Verizon for doing this ??
    09-02-09 07:59 AM
    i know this is a old question...but wanted to get an answer for that...
    I know you guys might know about it...but would this work for tethering ???
    its from tetherberry (tetherberry.com)
    if i were to one pay $50 fee ...would i be good on my BB ??? as the above link claims it uses the data plan....would i still get charged from Verizon for doing this ??
    I have it, it's slow as hell. If I'm lucky, I get 150kbps.
    09-03-09 06:09 AM
    I read that the servers you use when tethering (and not with the VZW plan) is through the blackberry servers.

I tested this theory. I checked the IP of my phone by going to whatsmyip.org, pulled the battery on the phone, then tethered using the program I always use to tether, and checked the ip of my laptop.

On the BBery itself, I got an ip address of 206.x.x.x.
    Tethered I got an ip of 97.x.x.x
    Through my mifi device i got an ip of 75.x.x.x.

Both the 97.x.x.x and the 75.x.x.x show up as Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless.

The the 206.x.x.x comes up RIM.

It would seem that the assumption that when you tether you use BBery's servers would be incorrect???

If that is the case, and you don't sign up for the tethering service but use the tethering , how can they catch you when it's on different networks? Especially if they're using DHCP to hand out IP's (which it would seem they have to otherwise, they would be able to block your device from not paying for tethering).

I'm going to have to check and see whether I get a different ip address each time I tether and whether or not I get a different one on the WiFi device.
    09-04-09 04:06 PM
    Unfortunately yes. Otherwise if you were somehow able to tether without signing up, Verizon would eventually catch you and slap a VERY hefty bill on you.
    Back when I had a env1 I did a teather hack, and made all teather data use my WAP config... was GREAT for about a month or 3 til i check the bill,a nd low and behold, a bill of over $200 bucks for teathering! I was able to get around the bill, but in the long run, 15 or so a month is ALOT better.
    12-10-09 10:02 PM
    i was tether for almost a year on my pearl then when alltel went to verizon i got a curve and blam i had to start paying i get 800-900 kps
    01-21-10 06:45 AM
    Some years ago when I was on Sprint, alot of people bought "unlimited"
    data plans for the phone, and then proceeded to tether laptops. We did not get great speeds, but, it was faster than dialup. I learned how to do it from the sprinterusers forum. As time went by, we started hearing about how tethering was not allowed by the TOS. People did it anyway. Some sprint phones started coming out that could not be tethered. A few people found ways to get around that on some phones. Then Sprint started selling tethering plans , but why buy the cow when the milk is free, right? And besides, how do they know if you are tethering or just using your phone? Finally, one day a a few years ago, I remember some forum member posting a copy of a letter they received and a very very large bill. It seems "they know". How they know is unknown to me, but, they know.

Right now I am tethering on my BB storm and am on Verizon. I made an interesting discovery though. I had to upgrade my storm's OS to OS 5.0, which does not work with the current version of Verizons VZ access manager. You either have to configure a DUN connection or download and use an older version of access manager. The DUN connection has a dialog box you can get into to access the modems properties, and I selected its top speed, around 992 kbs or something like that. Speed testing it, I get around 800 kbs down and 386 up. Connnected through the access manager, about half of that.
    01-31-10 07:49 PM
    try 1234 for the bluetooth the 0000 didnt work for my phone either
    03-31-10 02:23 AM
    Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless is what remains of Unicel, typically this means that they are old Unicel market areas that VZW has yet to divest under Dept of Justice. Technically these areas belong to another company but managed by VZW until the sale is closed and approved by DOJ.
    05-10-10 06:34 PM
    Hey there guys, I used to be a Verizon technician and let me tell you... Stop while you're just a little behind. Unless someone comes up with a way to re-route data through the phone's always-on EVDO connection, then you WILL have to pay. Believe me, I hate that company, if I could get us all free tethering I WOULD. The simple fact is, Verizon has spent a LOT of money on systems that will help them control their subscriber's data use. If you want to use these features you have to go with some other company that is on a tighter budget or doesn't care about this level of control. (i.e. AT&T, T-Mo, or Sprint)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 06:12 PM
    Folks:
    I have a BB 8530 Curve through Verizon provided to me as a work phone. I also have a Verizon aircard for internet access with my laptop. I travel a lot, and use the aircard/laptop a good bit. I access our server through a VPN. The Verizon aircard works great, but is pretty expensive.
    Would tethering my Curve give me a similar internet access connection? It would be good to be able to drop the aircard for cost and convenience as long as the tether provides a similar connection.
    08-23-10 09:27 PM
    It was mentioned earlier here that tethered computers used a proxy, that is backwards. The Blackberry uses Blackberry Internet Servers(BIS) that encrypt and compress data, this encryption is one of the reasons that Mid-East countries recently had a problem with not being able to monitor Blackberry communication. The Torch review here talks about speeds on low bandwidth connections and over wifi, they mention the BIS's there.

Tethered devices require a login, that connects to the carrier. Not going through BIS's, my laptop is faster than the Torch it connects with. I do not know of a way to use the BB encrypted connection for tethering.

New features are added all the time. So don't spend all day trying to make 3-year old instructions work, when BB Desktop Manager will set you up in a click or two. Just need the login for your carrier.
    09-15-10 09:50 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD