wondering if anyone knows if wifi works on the 8820 on an AT&T network. i have heard conflicting stories. can someone set the record straight. thanks.
    10-10-08 09:35 PM
    the wifi works
    10-10-08 09:38 PM
    do you have to do something particular to get it to work or just search for a network and hook up. i have read that att blocks access.
    10-10-08 09:56 PM
    they dont block access, just search for a connection, connect and your good to go
    10-10-08 09:57 PM
    I have a BB 8820, and I use the Wi-Fi all the time when I am out and about. I have never had a problem connecting. Like scotts11 mentioned, just search and go.
    10-11-08 01:28 PM
    Monday, October 13 2008, @ 9:48 AM (-0800 GMT)

While you can always use the built-in wi-fi for e-mail, etc, when in un-locked wi-fi range, you CAN'T use it to make phone calls when out of range of an AT&T cell tower. That feature is DISABLED, or at least, to put it in a less "slam AT&T" way, "NOT-ENABLED."

The only people who can use this phone, and other similar BB phones, to make wi-fi phone calls are T-Mobile subscribers. The BAD thing tho is that the coverage of the t-Mobile network is not as good as AT&T Mobility.

A few other services MAY have joined T-Mobile in allowing wi-fi phone calls that I am currently unaware of, so plz to not chastise me if I missed a provider! <giggles>
    10-13-08 11:56 AM
    Agreed. Wifi works on the 8820. I must admit, I wasn't really impressed by the speed, but it is faster than using the network.
    10-13-08 02:21 PM
    YES it does work, if configured rite. i just search for network, and then connect and then go to my bb broweser, menu, go to, www.dasdasdadas.com and then VIOLA, however i cant go on ebay =/
    10-15-08 11:26 AM
    YES it does work, if configured rite. i just search for network, and then connect and then go to my bb broweser, menu, go to, www.dasdasdadas.com and then VIOLA, however i cant go on ebay =/
    Yes, normal e-mail and web browsing DOES work, but you missed the point of the earlier posts. You CANT MAKE PHONE CALLS using wi-fi when out of range of a cell tower but you ARE within range of an open wi-fi hot spot.

AT&T will NOT "enable" FREE wi-fi based phone calls like T-Mobile DOES.
    10-15-08 12:01 PM
    Yeah you're right on that and i did miss that haha. but yeah, i guess t-mobile kicked att's **** all over with THEIR bb8820 =P
    10-15-08 03:45 PM
    Yeah you're right on that and i did miss that haha. but yeah, i guess t-mobile kicked att's **** all over with THEIR bb8820 =P

Yes, T-Mobile has received a BIG BOOST from offering wi-fi phone service on their BBs. AT&T is too CHEAP to allow it. I may buy a BB Curve to be able to use wi-fi phone; T-Mobile has the Curve for only $99 with a contract. I paid $320 for my BB 8820 a year ago when it was new.
    10-15-08 05:32 PM
    hold on i have 8820 att phone thats unlocked and am using a tmobile sim card in it with the tmo service, can i make calls using the wifi connection since i hardly have service from tmo in my house?
    10-23-08 06:40 PM
    hold on i have 8820 att phone thats unlocked and am using a tmobile sim card in it with the tmo service, can i make calls using the wifi connection since i hardly have service from tmo in my house?

I have no knowledge of the abilities of "unlocked phones." All I can tell you is that if you have a "normal phone" with AT&T they will NOT allow you to use wi-fi for net phone calls. T-Mobile, whose coverage is not as good as AT&Ts DOES allow this, probably to augment their inferior basic cell tower service.
    10-23-08 07:18 PM
    okay so i got my 8820 and i can get connected to my home router, but to access the internet i downloaded opera mini 4.1. i can't get into the internet. do i have to enable the network data, cause as of now that is the only way to access the internet. i am hesitant to enable the network data fearing i will get charged for internet use. does anyone know if the network data needs to be enabled? if not what do i do, and if it needs to be on will i get charged for using the internet? thanks.
    10-25-08 02:27 AM
    okay so i got my 8820 and i can get connected to my home router, but to access the internet i downloaded opera mini 4.1. i can't get into the internet. do i have to enable the network data, cause as of now that is the only way to access the internet. i am hesitant to enable the network data fearing i will get charged for internet use. does anyone know if the network data needs to be enabled? if not what do i do, and if it needs to be on will i get charged for using the internet? thanks.
    Hi! I use Opera Mini also as it's better than the browser built-in to the 8820 I have from AT&T. If you are with AT&T, AND IF you have signed up for the data plan, you will have wi-fi access thru your home router. BUT you can only use wi-fi for e-mail and web surfing with AT&T. You CANT use it to make internet ohine calls as AT&T will not allow you to. T-Mobile DOES allow you to make such calls, probably becuz their cell service is not as good as AT&T.

As far as how you "hook up wi-fi" I just enabled it on my 8820 and it immediately looked for and found my home network. One caveat on this... My network is OPEN, i.e., not secure. If you have made your network "secure," you may have to go thru extra steps to make yer phone work. Others here should be able to help you.
    10-25-08 07:45 AM
    thanks for the input. however, i don't have a data plan with at&t. i don't need all that. i just wanted to surf the web whenever i was near my router, which i am able to get connected with. my question here is, when my network data on my phone is on, i can access the internet via the browser on the phone with wifi, but when it is off, i can't access the internet. i want to know if the network data on the phone needs to be on? and if so will i get charged? if doesn't need to be on, how do i access the internet? because my opera mini will not connect. thanks.
    10-25-08 02:13 PM
    Yes Data would have to be turned on to allow a Data Connect assuming the WiFi is turned off
    10-27-08 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD