I am trying to sync my 8830 to my pc so that I can remove facebook. I got a disc of software (was for my wife's pear I think but it does not say so) & installed it ok. I plugged in my 8830 & opened up the application loader but it then gets to a point where it asks to choose the application that are to be removed or installed from the device. There is another box beneath that I guess should have the applications in it but the box is empty other than a greyed out message saying "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry device software for the deive that you have connected to your computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator".

So where am I going wrong? What can I do? Help!!!
    04-25-09 05:23 PM
    That error message means you don't have the 8830's Operating System installed as an application on your PC. The DM App Loader can't add or remove modules unless the OS is installed on your PC. Download and install your OS, then you can modify it.

How did you install Facebook? Was it OTA?
    04-25-09 05:30 PM
    Facebook is not fully installed it asks for me to agree to the terms etc which I have not done. It added itself one day whilst the phone was on. I am playing with my BB and it says its core app's is 4.2 do I therefore need software 4.2 if so what exactly do I need to download & where from? Thanks
    04-25-09 05:36 PM
    In general yes, you need the same OS version as is installed on your 8830. If it's 4.2, then it's either 4.2.2.176 or 4.2.2.196. I'm not sure where you can find either version, since Verizon has now released OS 4.5.0.138 for the 8830. Carriers typically don't keep obsolete OS's available on their site. You could always upgrade to 4.5. It has many enhancements and new functionality.

Verizon's software site is here: Verizon BlackBerry Software Updates

Having said all that, if Facebook installed itself OTA, then what you have is almost certainly just a Service Book, not the application itself. If so, the good news is, it's taking a negligible amount of memory. The bad news is, you probably can't get rid of it. Service Books get pushed by the carrier, and if it's missing, will just get pushed again. All you can do is hide the icon if it bothers you.

I was not aware that Verizon pushed Facebook. It has not shown up on my 8830.
    04-25-09 05:44 PM
    I am with Alltel which is now owned by verizon so if I can't delete it how can I hide the icon
    04-25-09 05:48 PM
    I assume the same way you'd hide any icon: by selecting it, pressing menu, and choosing Hide. But I don't have it to try.
    04-25-09 06:19 PM
    Thanks for your help but it does not hide it, I think I will have to go into the store tomorrow and see what they can do. I downloaded the Axcess program from alltel & it still will not sync with the phone
    04-25-09 06:25 PM
    Sorry I couldn't be more help. Let us know what you learn from the store.
    04-25-09 06:28 PM
    The store was in some ways helpful others not as much. They were able to hide the facebook icon which was good but on the syncing just said that I needed to download the correct version of the software from Blackberry so thats a bit more tricky!
    04-26-09 03:14 PM
    I suggest you upgrade to 4.5.0.138. It works well, and is the currently supported version.
    04-26-09 04:38 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I assume that on my pc I need to download the desktop manager with that version number? Do I then have to download a new version onto my BB? How difficult is it as I don't wanna mess anything up?
    04-27-09 04:00 PM
    What you need to do is download Desktop Manager (I recommend version 4.6). You then have to download the OS for the phone. Verizon now has version 4.5.0.138, or you can do a google search to find another carrier's version. Download that to your PC, and then run the executable file to install that OS on your PC.

In Jeff's signature, he has both the proper upgrade/downgrade procedure, as well as a link for Crackmem. I highly recommend using Crackmem to do this upgrade since it makes things very easy. The link will not only help you download this program, but it will also have the procedure to use it as well.

Before you do the upgrade, and after you get the DM working, do a backup. Then do the upgrade.
    04-27-09 06:34 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I assume that on my pc I need to download the desktop manager with that version number? Do I then have to download a new version onto my BB? How difficult is it as I don't wanna mess anything up?
    What you need to do is download Desktop Manager (I recommend version 4.6). You then have to download the OS for the phone. Verizon now has version 4.5.0.138, or you can do a google search to find another carrier's version. Download that to your PC, and then run the executable file to install that OS on your PC.

In Jeff's signature, he has both the proper upgrade/downgrade procedure, as well as a link for Crackmem. I highly recommend using Crackmem to do this upgrade since it makes things very easy. The link will not only help you download this program, but it will also have the procedure to use it as well.

Before you do the upgrade, and after you get the DM working, do a backup. Then do the upgrade.
    eddiek's points are well-taken. The reason I have not deleted the Proper / Upgrade Downgrade Procedure from my sig is that I reference it in the text of many older notes that someone searching the forum might find. The sig is applied when the thread is opened, so someone opening a thread from a year ago will see the same sig as someone opening this thread today. If the text talks about a link that does not exist, that just adds confusion. I used CrackMem myself this weekend to move from 4.2.2.196 to 4.5.0.138. I highly recommend it.

I also recommend DM 4.6. DM 4.7 introduces some unnecessary complications. And finally, the DM version does not have to match the OS version. They are independent products that work together.
    04-27-09 11:04 PM
    Hi Jeff. Help! I just upgraded to 138 and I can not email reconcile or play news videos. I may have to hard reset(hope not) but is there a way to sync my applications already paid for that I don't want to lose? Thank you.
    05-29-09 10:40 AM
    Resend your service books and re-register your Host Routing Table. See if that solves your email issue. 3rd party apps may have to be reinstalled. Typically you don't have to pay for apps again when you upgrade your OS, assuming you still have your registration codes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD