With over 200 posts over this topic, what else would you like to hear/read about?? It only works on 4.5 or higher. It makes the second speaker on the 8830 work for all sounds giving the proper db level for each one. Anything else??
    08-29-08 10:00 PM
    Still like to hear from more people, but it seems this "trick" may only work under the currently available OS4.5.
    I guess you didn't even bother to read the important post which outlines all the "ifs ands or buts".
    08-29-08 10:12 PM
    This seems like a good trick. I will try it once Telus releases the official 4.5OS version.
    Last edited by cate; 08-31-08 at 02:51 PM. Reason: inappropriate
    08-30-08 06:14 PM
    Keep it clean, please.
    08-31-08 02:50 PM
    I think our trick is no longer works on OS 4.5 version 77.But it works very well on OS 4.5 version 51.
    08-31-08 04:28 PM
    I think our trick is no longer works on OS 4.5 version 77.But it works very well on OS 4.5 version 51.
    There is no "our trick". It's mine.

And yes, it still does work. The only reason it's not as obvious is that RIM actually probably got their hands on this fix and realized what they needed to do to boost the High level of the ringer up some to what people actually wanted. The Low and Med choices are still lower then they are with my fix applied. Test it, you'll see. Also, the "sound quality" of the ringer under the default OS levels is still "flat" because it doesn't use the EQ that the Media Player uses for the ringer. With my fix, the sound is much richer... bassier if you have a good ringtone. Most people won't notice a difference, but those of us that have a good ear and listen closely to music a lot will notice. Anyway, with future updates to 4.5, this fix might not be needed anymore as it seems RIM has finally woken up a bit since reading these forums. Let's just hope some loser on the RIM dev team doesn't take the credit for actually fixing the ringer issue... lol.
    08-31-08 07:22 PM
    Yeah I know how to post pictures, but can you tell me how to UPLOAD a picture and use it as an avatar?
    Last edited by cate; 09-05-08 at 01:08 AM.
    09-02-08 03:16 AM
    Cate asked once - keep this thread clean & on topic or it will be closed.
    09-02-08 11:25 AM
    Yeah I know how to post pictures, but can you tell me how to UPLOAD a picture and use it as an avatar?
    Avatars can be no bigger than 80x80 and less than 19.5kb. You can use Photobucket to reduce a picture to acceptable dimensions. Then go to your User CP and select Edit Avatar. You'll be prompted to upload the picture. You can also have a different picture that shows up only on your profile. It's limited to 100x100.

If you have any more user questions, please post them as new posts in the appropriate forum, rather than distracting this thread. Thanks...
    09-02-08 11:31 AM
    I'm only going to ask this once of the mods. Keep this thread open and delete any posts in the past 48 hours that you don't see as being informative. Obviously this thread has turned into a "I can't follow directions and just going to post insults instead" thread. I personally don't care if you post insults, as others can attest to, I play that game well... and win. lol However, if the mods don't like it, well, I can't make them change their minds. Please don't make me have to get Kevin involved here. This thread has helped a lot of people out and I want to make sure that it stays stickied and open so I can make changes to the files/instructions if needed for future releases of the 4.5 OS.

As I said before, it looks like RIM will finally fix this loudness issue because of this hack, but in case they don't and the ringer volume of .77 is a fluke, let's play nice with the mods. They don't seem to share my appreciation for a good side-jab.
    09-02-08 01:16 PM
    Well, it worked on .51, but doesn't seem to work for me on .77 anybody else??

R...
    09-06-08 02:02 PM
    running .77 and it works. After running the fix go edit in the profiles and listen to how close a medium tone sounds versus a high tone. It's pretty much the same, that's why I leave mine on medium. This has been documented by JR and others that RIM has acknowledged there is a problem with the sound and "tried" to fix it by raising the vol on the high setting, but it still doesn't sound correct because the db levels are off...
    09-06-08 03:33 PM
    I also have 77 and it is not working. Anyone else?

Let me rephrase:

I had 51 and did this and it was almost TOO LOUD.

Now that I have put on 77, back to before fix.
    Last edited by goblue; 09-17-08 at 12:35 PM.
    09-17-08 12:15 PM
    T h e f i x w o r k s o n . 7 7 .
    09-17-08 07:28 PM
    This is my first post so forgive me for jumping in here. The fix worked great for me on 51. I did notice something unusual though. When I receive a new SMS or email the back light turns on. Is there a way to turn that back off without reverting back to the old ringers?
    09-19-08 07:34 AM
    JRSCCivic98 - I just flashed due to some issues I had with .51 and I have to say that it seems like the fix does not work as well on .77. Matter of factly, .77's media player sounds more quiet.

Perhaps this is an issue on my end, perhaps settings somewhere I am missing, perhaps it is merely a crisis of perception, but I feel as though the superloud .51 is not as loud on .77.

--Randall
    09-19-08 09:18 AM
    JRSCCivic98 - I just flashed due to some issues I had with .51 and I have to say that it seems like the fix does not work as well on .77. Matter of factly, .77's media player sounds more quiet.

Perhaps this is an issue on my end, perhaps settings somewhere I am missing, perhaps it is merely a crisis of perception, but I feel as though the superloud .51 is not as loud on .77.

--Randall
    Just to clear this up - .77 *feels* quieter EVEN in the media player.
    09-19-08 09:21 AM
    Yep. It worked like a champ on mine on the first try.
    09-19-08 11:04 AM
    Just to clear this up - .77 *feels* quieter EVEN in the media player.
    I totally agree. I have re-done, re-installed etc. Still not nearly as loud when I did it on .51.
    09-22-08 08:49 AM
    Then it's safe to say that you guys are not holding your mouths right when you do it.

As a side note, the volume fix when applied only boost volume to the total max of the volume available when in the Media Player. So, if the max volume coming from the Media Player is lower (if you think so), then that's why you think it's lower. Also, keep in mind that in .77 RIM tried to fix the volume issue on the High setting (funny how they didn't do anything until after I released my fix), but it's still not correct. If you didn't apply the fix right, you might simply be experiencing the new High volume level from RIM, which as I stated before, is higher, but not hight enough.
    09-22-08 10:12 AM
    BOOOOOOM!!!!!!

After reading your post I went and looked at my volume in media player. We what ya know, 3 lines lower. Increase to max, sent a email and boom, loud.

Now was that my fault or was it lowered automatically when I loaded new OS?
    09-22-08 10:16 AM
    I'd say it's more then likely that you didn't have a successful run of the fix. I've had people mention that they needed to run it more then once on occasion to make it work. I don't know why, it always works for me on the first run. The dead giveaway that it's working is if you lost your trackball click when you move around. If it's silent and you have it set to click, then the fix is applied.
    09-22-08 10:26 AM
    I'd say it's more then likely that you didn't have a successful run of the fix. I've had people mention that they needed to run it more then once on occasion to make it work. I don't know why, it always works for me on the first run. The dead giveaway that it's working is if you lost your trackball click when you move around. If it's silent and you have it set to click, then the fix is applied.
    Its always worked on the first try on all beta's I've ran too... So far so good for me! hopefully when they release the final release it will either A, have your fix applied for good, or still be able to apply your fix and work.. Guess we'll see...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 02:57 PM
    I need some help on volume for my Custom Ring Tones. I just purchased the 8830 World edition and each time I assign a tune or ringer to a contact, the volume is so darn low, that I miss calls.

HELP please!!!
    Last edited by Mummy57; 09-24-08 at 01:10 PM.
    09-24-08 01:07 PM
    I need some help on volume for my Custom Ring Tones. I just purchased the 8830 World edition and each time I assign a tune or ringer to a contact, the volume is so darn low, that I miss calls.

HELP please!!!
    If you just purchased your 8830, it will most likely have OS 4.2.2.196 installed. The techniques described in this post only work for OS 4.5, which is not yet officially released for the 8830. I don't recommend any new user attempt to install or use a beta OS in the first 30 days that you own a new phone, simply because installing an OS other than the factory-supported OS will void your warranty and you will have to restore the factory OS before you can return your phone, should you find some other defect in it in the first 30 days. As an additional benefit, after using it for 30 days, you'll be much more likely to succeed when you do attempt the upgrade.

If you want to use custom music ringtones, the best option is to use an application such as Audacity to boost the volume before you install the ringtone on the 8830. If you don't require music ringtones, the Classic Ringtone that comes preinstalled is plenty loud with no modifications necessary.
    09-24-08 01:35 PM
305 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD