Well folks, JRSCCivic98 strikes again! 4.5.0.77 still works with the file. This just may slip under the radar all the way to the final release!
    08-21-08 12:34 AM
    Matt,
    You have some ridiculous connections or some awesome search techniques. I cant find these upgrades to save my life. I'll keep diggin though.
    08-21-08 07:05 AM
    Well folks, JRSCCivic98 strikes again! 4.5.0.77 still works with the file. This just may slip under the radar all the way to the final release!
    I'd also like to point out that with .77 it seems RIM has finally done something to try and boost the ringer volume when set to High. The only problem is that the other two settings Low and Medium have not been touched and unlike my fix which boost the db for all choices, their fix leaves a bit to be desired. If they didn't want to touch the other levels, they should have just added in a 4th level for Super Loud. Also, their volume boost still does not give the same sound quality that my ringer fix gives. The ringers don't utilize the full EQ of the device to generate the sound. This means that the ringers will sound very Treble-ish rather then the nice basier levels you get with my fix. RIM really needs to take a little bit of time on this and give the 8830 full (2 speaker) ringer capability with the nice EQ levels from the Media Player. Custom ringers (from song or whatever) sound so much nicer and cleaner with my fix applied then without, even with the new increased db levels of the High volume choice.
    08-22-08 04:56 PM
    I am trying not to sound like an ***** but when I unzip the file its an mp4 and when I try to play it I get an error. What did I do wrong?
    08-22-08 05:08 PM
    I am trying not to sound like an ***** but when I unzip the file its an mp4 and when I try to play it I get an error. What did I do wrong?
    Did you read everything I posted about the fix?

Do you have OS 4.5 loaded? This will not work with OS 4.2.x.

Did you by any chance change the encoding of the file at all? Another poster did that when he was transfering it to the phone via Media Manager (big no no).
    08-22-08 05:10 PM
    I downloaded the zip file to my media card using the device. I have aerize explorer on my 8830 I unzipped the file using aerize stored the file in my videos folder on the memory card . It shows an mp4 that will not play I am using 4.5.0.51. Maybe its because I'm doing everything on the device instead of downloading it to a computer . My question would still be is the video file in mp4 format?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nevermind I got it working successfully now appently when using aerize you have to uncompress the file you can't just open the zip file and copy and paste it to the memory card. It is working great now thanks for the find and effort you put in. It can be done never attaching the device to a computer which is also a plus!
    Last edited by maimun; 08-22-08 at 07:45 PM.
    08-22-08 05:38 PM
    OK, so basically "You didn't follow the directions I outlined in the writeup."

While I understand what you did and that you finally got it to work, I still fail to see why people deviate from my instructions, pay no attention to the warnings against such deviations, and then are still surprised when things don't work as designed.

I have no issues with you guys/gals finding other new and intresting way to get this video on your phone, but don't blame anyone but yourself for not following the writeup. Also, if this site would allow for hosting of actual video files, I wouldn't have had to zip it up.
    08-22-08 09:01 PM
    i have 4.5. i did all my unziping to the computer. what should my folders on my memory card be named? because i put the file on my card under blackberry then videos and this isnt showing up at all for me. in fact now that i have upgraded to 4.5 none of my pics, music, vids, or ringtones are showing up on my media card. yet when i remove the card and look at it on my computer all of the files are there...

this is only my second day with the 8800 and blackberrys in general
    08-22-08 10:06 PM
    i have 4.5. i did all my unziping to the computer. what should my folders on my memory card be named? because i put the file on my card under blackberry then videos and this isnt showing up at all for me. in fact now that i have upgraded to 4.5 none of my pics, music, vids, or ringtones are showing up on my media card. yet when i remove the card and look at it on my computer all of the files are there...

this is only my second day with the 8800 and blackberrys in general
    Backup your memory card and then format it in the phone. Then put just the files back in the folders it creates for you. Your problem is somewhere else, not anything to do with this video.... obviously, since you're having issues with other media on the card.
    08-22-08 10:09 PM
    i think it works. thank jrs.
    08-22-08 10:37 PM
    Yes correct, I'm sorry I didn't follow your directions specifically but I wasnt blaming you I just thought this was a user forum wherein people compare examples of their experiences. I was impatient to try out this great fix that you created so I did it at work I don't have a sync-able computer there, in any event the fix works great thanks for all your hard work!

08-23-08 07:33 AM
    Yes correct, I'm sorry I didn't follow your directions specifically but I wasnt blaming you I just thought this was a user forum wherein people compare examples of their experiences. I was impatient to try out this great fix that you created so I did it at work I don't have a sync-able computer there, in any event the fix works great thanks for all your hard work!

No problem dude, sorry if it came off a bit direct. I have a tendancy to do that, but it's cool. As you can probably tell, I've had to edit that original post several times to make "small exceptions and warning" changes/details in order to make sure people don't mess up the process. In the end, I think you'll agree that it's pretty simple. I guess I just find it funny when you lay it all out and people still find a way to mess it up. lol It's like those pics you see online where someone tried to parallel park, but ended up backing up into a glass building and totaling out their car... EPIC PHAIL.
    08-23-08 03:58 PM
    So I missed 5 on-call calls Friday into Saturday and that was it - I went to VZW store to look at 8330 curves and they were really not MUCH louder. Then I looked at 'external speakers', none of which worked on the 8830 of course. Even if I got the adaptor, I wonder if the ringer would ring out the 2.5" jack.

Lastly, I came back to this site and voila, here it is.

4.5.0.51 works quite well with this FIX. Even though I do not have a memory card and I had to use DM w/ Roxio and the 'media manager' (which is slow and is truely busted v4.3x). I just had to make sure that the 'do not convert' option was set.

Thanks a ton man!
    --Randall
    08-24-08 09:20 AM
    I just upgraded to 4.5.0.51 and this install was easy. This was one of my complaints on this model. Thanks for fix.
    08-24-08 04:37 PM
    Trying to fix my volume problem on a new 8830 which shows v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.81).... it looks like I need to take this to v4.5.+.

Please have mercy and direct me to those instructions!...

Thanks...
    08-25-08 02:54 PM
    Works absolutly great for my verizon 8830we running 4.5 thanks! Wish I had this a year ago
    08-25-08 07:07 PM
    Trying to fix my volume problem on a new 8830 which shows v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.81).... it looks like I need to take this to v4.5.+.

Please have mercy and direct me to those instructions!...

Thanks...
    Yes, this will not work with anything that's 4.2.x.xxx It only works with 4.5 OS... As for instructions, it is all in the first post of this thread, but like it's been said OS 4.5 is needed!
    08-25-08 11:39 PM
    Yes, this will not work with anything that's 4.2.x.xxx It only works with 4.5 OS... As for instructions, it is all in the first post of this thread, but like it's been said OS 4.5 is needed!
    That dude was fishing for instructions on how to upgrade to 4.5. Let him search the forum, I'm not going to provide that nor a link to 4.5. It's not rocket science, 90% of the posters in this thread knew what to do, I'm done holding hands.
    08-26-08 09:33 AM
    Glad to have stumbled across this. VZW 8830 4.5.0.51 works great. Thank you. The phone rang at 2 AM when one of my client's servers went down last night and my wife was not only pissed at them, but at me as well, thinking I had bought yet another phone. Now she says I have no excuse for saying "I'm sorry sweetheart I didn't hear the phone ring when you called."

Hmmm....now I'm not sure if finding this was a good thing or not.

Cheers.
    08-26-08 10:27 AM
    Sorry... I must have stumbled into the Blackberry curmudgeon forum... Excusez-moi !
    08-26-08 03:19 PM
    How strange...I've always wondered why the media player was so much louder than the ringer. That is about the only thing I don't like about my 8830
    08-26-08 03:53 PM
    Sorry... I must have stumbled into the Blackberry curmudgeon forum... Excusez-moi !
    The instructions don't exist because the OS doesn't exist in fully supported public form. A little visit to the 4.5 Beta forum would unfold a slew of interesting info for your mental intake.
    08-26-08 04:20 PM
    That dude was fishing for instructions on how to upgrade to 4.5. Let him search the forum, I'm not going to provide that nor a link to 4.5. It's not rocket science, 90% of the posters in this thread knew what to do, I'm done holding hands.
    Doh, guess i didn't read it clearly... sorry man Agreed JRS....
    08-26-08 04:32 PM
    I have looked on Verizon's site and Blackberry's site and cannot locate the software upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5 or 4.6 as I understand is now out on my Verizon 8830.
    08-28-08 03:51 PM
    Still like to hear from more people, but it seems this "trick" may only work under the currently available OS4.5.
    08-29-08 09:10 PM
305 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD